Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Idiots

Options
  • 11-12-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/clips/verizon-doesnt-know-difference-between-dollars-and-cents-220362.php

Just listened to this. Its a recording of a phonecall of a guy to Verizon over an overcharge for his internet access. The call centre guys don't know the difference between 0.002 dollars & 0.002 cents. Its unbelieveable. This guy has phenomenal patience because I could stop myself form exploding over the phone after that amount of tie, its infuriating!

Anyway, I don't know if this has already been posted because the search function isn't working for me on boards at the mo!

Enjoy, its unbelievable (clip is ~20 mins)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Reminds of the conversation I had with Meteor customer care about their online bill viewer..

Me: Ok so you bill from the 15th to the 15th of each month.
    Meteor: Yeah..
    Me: But your online bill shows from the 1st to the 1st of each month.
    Meteor: Yeah..
    Me: Do you not see the problem there?
    Meteor: No, well I mean thats the way it's always been done.
    Me: But it makes absolutely no sense, as it would take me ages to actually calculate my bill from your online service because I'm working with two different sets of dates. AND when I do match the dates and I think I've got everything right - it never matches the bill that I get through the post!! This is a problem!!
    Meteor: Well, you're the first person to ever mention it. And this is the way it's always been done. If you'd like to put your thoughts into writing then feel free to do so sir, all of our post gets read by customer service agents.
    Me: *click*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Talking about wrecking your head, and I thought eircom were bad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

OMG!!!!

I was getting angry just listening to this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I can't believe he kept such a level head faced with idiot after idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChilliNuts

AAAAARRRGH! It's so annoying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

"It's obviously a difference of opinion"... IDIOTS! :mad:
    ARRGH I'd really have to scream at them. I put up with enough stupid people when I worked as a call centre agent but I never imagined agents could be THAT stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Such idiots!!!!

(I cant listen to it :()

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

BingoBongo wrote:
    Talking about wrecking your head, and I thought eircom were bad!!!

Eircom ARE bad.
    They charge imaginary phonecalls on their bills and refuse to discuss the possibility they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's so stupid it's not even funny. There's no difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents, eh? Imagine if someone changed your wages from dollars to cents and then see how quickly you'd recognise the difference! Stupid idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

Haha!!
    I would have hulked out and went mad at them after the first 10 min!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Good God, that man was the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

It would be satisfying to get a 12 year old into the office to explain it using a blackboard.

"Do you see the difference between 1 dollar and 1 cent?"
    "yes"
    "do you see the difference between 1/2 a dollar and 1/2 a cent"
    "of course"
    "do you see the difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents"
    "no"

The worst was when she started asking him
    "What is .002 dollars? can you hold it in your hand? what does it look like? See it doesnt exsist"

what an idiot

How can so many people not have basic mathematics?
    "I don't know, I'm not a mathematician" - It's simple Edit: "Primary School" Maths!

EDIT: What was I saying? L.C. my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

God, that is fu*king annoying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

maybe they just dont put enough time into the metric system over there.

Or the people hired were not the cream of the crop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i'm only into the first min and BEEEJAAAAYYYSSSSISSSSS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thick as a feckin' plank or maybe that is an insult to the plank. Already posted in Consumer Issues also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

''I've never heard of $0.002'':eek: hahahahahahaha

How can anyone be that thick? I'm rubbish at maths but that's Primary 6 level stuff. WHY would you think .002 dollars was the same as .002 cents?? It was bad enough that the one guy didn't get it, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I had one of these idiot calls a few years back were a guy that had just completed a FAS computer course rang up that had problems trying to connect to the internet. Went through all the tech side of stuff, "have you the right dailup number, is your modem set up right" etc... he kept replying back to me "I know all that already I've just done a course".

Got a bit fed up at this stage so I asked him: (me thinking I'll be smart :p )
    "Have you got the phone line connected to the PC ?"

He replies: "No, why do I need a phone line connected when it's beamed down from a satellite and how do you think I'm ringing you !"

My reply: "Hope you didn't pay for that FAS course, if so I'd ask for your money back". I just hung up after that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Could be worse. We had a call once about the Internet not working, but every now and then through the call, we'd hear in the background "rrroooAAAAWWWWRRRrrmmmmmm...."

After a few of those, the agent got around to asking, out of sheer curiousity: "What is that noise?"
    "They're trucks going by"
    "Oh, that's unfortunate. You live by a main road?"
    "No, I'm off the main road. I'm just using the payphone on the road"
    "Why are you using the payphone?"
    "I have no 'phone line at home."
    "I see...."

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I had a problem with Smart telecom, they billed me for someone elses phone as well as my own. Took me at least 15 calls over a 4 month period. I even had debt collectors knocking out to my house over Smart's wrongful billing. It finally came to a head when I got on to comreg twice, and called smart and shouted at and abused the guy who answered my call. They finally sent me a cheque in the post. I have since disconnected the landline and use voip to make my calls now.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I gave up after 45 seconds of listening. Judging by all your replies I think listening to the whole thing would have ruined my day.

Is there an e-mail address for that company? Some way that we can let them know that evryone else gets it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

God they are stupid, and I'm **** at maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Man I wish I'd taped my Bord Gais calls spanning 2 years, finally resolved 3 months ago.

I was advised according to the leaflet to go for a minimum usage rate based on my initial reading which turned out to be a gazillion Kws in error (their fault). You have to stay on the rate for 1 year and used 8600kws or over. I rang up and said based on YOUR reading, I'd have no probs making up the wattage, but now that I know what I will REALLY use over the year, I'm going to end up 500 quid in the hole at the end of it. They wouldn't change me back "the system won't allow it".

November came and I rang up to make damn sure I wasn't going to be on the rate for another year. No problem they said, and in Christmas week of last year I paid them 500 quid - rough!!

I get a bill in February, and, low and behold, "This is bill 1 of 6 on the 'economy' rate", minimum usage 8600kwh, use less and make up the shortfall. I went mental. Rang up.

Me: "I told you in November that I didn't want to go back on this rate"
    BG: "We have no record of that call"
    Me: "Well I made it"
    BG: "Well you have to stay on this rate for a full year so I'm afraid there's nothing I can do for you"
    Me: "This is ridiculous! You've no record of my call?"
    BG: "No"
    Me: "Well can you answer me this then, why would I go back on a rate that had me forking out 500 quid Christmas week? Why would I do that again knowing full well there is no chance of me reaching the minimum usage?"
    BG: "I don't know"
    Me: "Exactly, and if you look at my usage for the year,you will see that I came nowhere near to the minimum"
    BG: "That may be the case, but there is still nothing I can do for you. The system is programmed"

Eventually I got through to a good member of staff in head office to agreed to sort it all out.

April - I get my first bill on a new rate which requires no minimum usage - plus....a bill for another few hundred quid because I skipped out on the yearly minimum early. ARGH!!!

I ring up, explain, get more "oops - er - mmm - leave it with me!"
    I stop my Direct Debit to be 100% sure they dont get the money.

Next...I get a bill for 200 quid - a "security deposit" for cancelling my Direct Debit.

Many months of turmoil followed - it was sorted in the end but my God is it frustrating!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

That's just ridiculous , how an adult who is meant to be trained in what they do cannot comprehend the difference is amazing . A 10 year old would have understood him .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Christ. I just couldnt stop listening to that. Yet i was nearly crying with frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Impressive, but I can't say I'm surprised.
    Having done a stint of tech support in the past, I think there comes a point where you've worked as a customer service rep for so long that you either:
    A). Quit to avoid the mental breakdown you can feel coming any day now.
    or
    B). Shut down parts of your brain in order to cope with having such a shít job and continue working there as a procedure-zombie... incapable of rational, independent thought.

That's my theory anyway...
    Actually from now on, if I get a CSR that can actually think outside the cubicle I'm going to ask how long they've been working there... I'd guess less than 6 months for the human-sounding ones.
    There might be something to this, hmm. O_ó

Advertisement