Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blair tells migrants to "conform"

Options
  • 08-12-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08122006/325/blair-tells-migrants-conform.html

"Immigrants wishing to live in Britain will have to pass an English test and ethnic or religious groups seeking government grants will have to show they promote integration, Blair said."

I just moved back to Ireland in July after spending almost 15 years abroad. I learned the two languages of the countries where I lived. Since returning to Ireland its gotten to the stage where you need to ask, "Do you speak English?", before asking directions.

I was looking for a school with my wife and I asked 3 women directions, "No speak English" was their reply. When I found the school I asked the painter where the secretary office was, his reply "No speak English". I don't mind broken English but having no comprehension is unbelievable seeing that English is THE international language.

It also doesn't help that these communities do not integrate or even try and learn English. My local newspaper has a Polish section in both English and Polish. The translator is also an English teacher, she is astounded that her classes remain empty. My wife is foreign but she makes the effort to intergrate by taking our kids to afterschool clubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Blair also said:
    In a speech at Downing Street, Mr Blair said that tolerance was "what makes Britain, Britain" and warned "we must be ready to defend this attitude".

The prime minister said: "So conform to it; or don't come here. We don't want the hate-mongers, whatever their race, religion or creed."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6219626.stm

"We will tolerate! We will tolerate! Yes, because toleratin is Brittin! Torelate is Brittin!

But I can'ts be tolleratin no bitches aiiii!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Since returning to Ireland its gotten to the stage where you need to ask, "Do you speak English?", before asking directions.

Heh! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

But he's right. Ghettoising yourself by refusing to integrate learn the language of the country you live in is not only rude and perhaps offensive to the natives of the country, but it also breeds racism and lets these people be exploited by unscrupulous employers.

If they want to live in poverty and be exploited, fair enough. Otherwise, make an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There'd be less stereotypical images of foreigners if they were integrated more. Not saying its their fault but often there's isn't enough effort made.(maybe applies to the older immigrants I've met)
    Not that there is a huge system in place to help them integrate either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Integration is absolutely essential for any immigrants entering into a country. This has been echoed to me by several people I know who have moved here from other countries.

Those who do not make suitable efforts to integrate, however difficult, should not move into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thread discussing the possibility of Polish schools in Dublin for some more reading if you missed it that time around.

Agreed with many of the points above, make an effort or move on somewhere else. Immigrants isolating themselves won't help their children growing up in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I work from home so I am able to pick up my children from school. The youngest is in senior infants and I have seen 5 year foreign national children having to translate for their parents. Great that the children are learning the language, bad the parents can't bother their arses, especially when they seem intend on spending some time in this country.

As a point, whenever I got on holiday I buy a phrase book in the countries language so at least I can exchange pleasantries.

Advertisement