Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish School In Dublin

Options
  • 02-09-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i think they should have their own buses too.

also, they shouldn't be allowed to drink from the same water fountains as Irish people.

this is a really ridiculous idea that will just fuel racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This is really silly, I have no problem with any Polish coming to Ireland if they wish to help developing the country, make a living for themselves and integrate into society. Whatever about the Irish education system, it looks like a slap in the face for them from the Polish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

While I would hope that any immigrants coming here would try to integrate with the natives and that the Irish tried to accept them I honestly don't see the harm in this. We have schools run along denominational lines already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

that is such a dum idea!!!!!!whats the point of it?!:confused:
    the may as well have different schools for every other nationality there is in ireland if their goin to do that.
    it really is a pointless,stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

the opportunity to follow the Polish national curriculum

If you want to follow Poland's national curriculum surely you should be in Poland to do that. As has been mentioned this is not the way to proceed. This will just divide and alienate people more. If you come to a foreign country, your leaving your countries ways and means of doing things behind you.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see this as a really bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

very silly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

those schools are being phased out in favour of non-denominational ones.

how that **** are immigrants supposed to fit into Irish society if they are schooled in a foreign (to Ireland) way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eo980 wrote:
    If you want to follow Poland's national curriculum surely you should be in Poland to do that. As has been mentioned this is not the way to proceed. This will just divide and alienate people more. If you come to a foreign country, your leaving your countries ways and means of doing things behind you.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see this as a really bad idea.
    What if the family moves over and the kid is in their last year or two of the Polish curiculum, or they have moved over only for a couple of years with young kids so don't then want them to be left behind when they move back to Poland, or any other variation along the lines where they don't want to disrupt the kids education to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's not too hard, a bit of Mr. Sheen and an old cloth. Don't see why a school needs to be dedicated to it. :eek:

/me gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Perhaps but it gives Polish children the opportunity to learn more about their own roots. Their history, their culture will be emphasised much more then any Irish school will offer. While I admit I am not some one who is a strong believer of 'being Irish' some people are very proud of it. Why not give the Polish their right to 'be Polish'.
    Seems a fair cop to me.

Although some of the concerns expressed about breeding racism are valid I don't think they will spread hatred throughout Irish society as you may think. When ever I speak to people about the Polish their is generally a good image, hard working, fit wimmen folk etc. I just think the Polish have been here long enough for the Irish to be come adjusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I don't really see the problem. There is a 'Lycee Francaise' in London for French kids, and I know scores of people at college who attended British schools abroad. Why is it different when it's the other way around? I don't think most people would move to Hong Kong and dump their kids in a Chinese speaking school, they'd look for a British/American one. I guess if the family are planning to stay for good there might be problems with integration but there are other social activities to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

robinph wrote:
    What if the family moves over and the kid is in their last year or two of the Polish curiculum, or they have moved over only for a couple of years with young kids so don't then want them to be left behind when they move back to Poland, or any other variation along the lines where they don't want to disrupt the kids education to much.

I would have thought that is something that should have been thought about before making a decision to move. I know a fair few people who in the 80's got US Visas in the DV Lottery Scheme but ended up not taking them up for that reason, they wanted their kids to have an irish education and didn't fancy US schools etc etc.

I honestly think if you move to another country then you have to adapt, there's so much talk about dropping religion and Irish language as compulsory from the curriculum but what about people want what they had for their kids. My brother moved to France for a while and sent his kids to an international school because of the language thing and when he was in the UK he sent them to a state school, that was his choice. But if you send a kid to a state school then you take what each country offers in their state schools.

Just my opinion!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

It's only one school. Isn't there an English school in Dublin for those who want to take A-levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Most Polish guys I've worked with have said that Ireland is a only a temporary thing for them whilst the going is good, save some good money and then head back...if you came here with kids of schoolgoing age and intend for them only to be here in the short term then surely integrating them into a foreign school system is counterproductive for both the children and the Irish education system.
    You get your kids back to Poland and their few years of learning english and learning other subjects through it have been more or less a waste of their formative years.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

robinph wrote:

That's their problem. If they want to move to Ireland, they should integrate with us fully, otherwise, don't move here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

People are looking at this the wrong way if you ask me. I's not like people are propsing to have a new school in every town where all the polish kids can go to do their Leaving Cert, It's a school which teaches the Polish curriculum.

Now, there were a lot of Polish people in my secondary school, and I know they all struggled because they had learn everything through english, their second language. This can make things like sciences, which require technical vocabulary, very difficult. Especially if you're only coming to Ireland for the senior cycle.

IMHO this just gives polish children an option to learn in their first language, the same as Gaelscoils do for Irish speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Polish ambassador stated that the school was a way for Polish children to gain a traditional Polish education. Fair enough.

But guess what? We've been here already. The aim of this school is to facilitate Polish ex-pats and their kids who want to return to their "auld sod".

Just like many of the Irish who left for the UK and US in the 1950's/1960's, going home was only a pipe-dream. I think it's the same for many of the Poles here now. They're here for the long-run, if they like it or not, and their kids will be as Irish as the Irish themselves.

I fully support the Islamic school in Clonskea because of the fundamental differences in relgious culture, but a Polish school? Naaaaaaaaah.

robinph wrote:

Not to be rude but that is an issue everyone who takes on a big decision to move to another country has to deal with. Also afaik schools in Ireland are fairly accomodating to students from other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Don't agree with that at all.
    The Polish ambassador stated that the school was a way for Polish children to gain a traditional Polish education. Fair enough.

Surely if you want a 'traditional polish' education, you would stay in Poland. You cant go to another country and try chamge it to be more like 'home'.

robinph wrote:
    So we like the Poles because they are catholic, probably, and so are happy for them to fully integrate with our pure Irish kids, but those evil muslims should be kept away at all costs?
    Firstly, Irish Muslims chose to open their own Primary school because their kids would not get instruction in the Qu'ran and classical Arabic in Irish Catholic-run Primary schools.

They choose to do this, and receive state money just as Prodestant Primary and Secondary schools do.

OK Robin? Put yer toys back in the pram now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No problems with interdominational schools or for that matter international schools, However all should be require to follow the same school cirrculum.

After all Ireland has the one best Educational System in the world.

However Secondary Schools should not be interdominalional or international, that would cause greater divisions.

If you are going to a new country really you should just be willing to allow your children intergrate with the natives and teach them about your country and your lanuage yourself. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Elmo wrote:

Really? Why so? Are you familar with the educational systems around the world? What makes you so sure? Stop making unsubstaniated comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beldub

sorry but where is the problem. There is German school, French school and Muslim school already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

You are joking aren't you?

Elmo wrote:
    Ireland *had* one of the best educational systems in the world.

Nowdays that crown goes to the Germans IMHO.

Ireland *had* one of the best educational systems in the world.

Nowdays that crown goes to the Germans IMHO.

Agreed, those days are long gone I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

These types of schools are quite common in large cities with large interntaional commerce centres or large immigrant numbers e.g. Paris you could go to school to do your A levels or GCSE etc., while your parents worked there for a few years.

Sangre wrote:
    These types of schools are quite common in large cities with large interntaional commerce centres or large immigrant numbers e.g. Paris you could go to school to do your A levels or GCSE etc., while your parents worked there for a few years.
    There's even the American School off Merrion Sq.

However, these ethos of those types of schools is to provide ex-pats' kids get second-level qualifications with the intention of getting college places back home.

The proposed Polish school is primary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is a well know fact that Ireland had and prob still does have one of the best educational systems in the world. Why we feel the need to change it is beyond my one of the only things we should be proud of. One of the many reason people come to be educated in Ireland is for our education, including many of the multinational companies. One of the main reason for the Celtic Tiger is our Education System.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Elmo wrote:
    It is a well know fact that Ireland had and prob still does have one of the best educational systems in the world.
    Something isn't so merely because one person says that it's well known. Showing where a few other people have said it, preferably with something tangiable to reinforce that view is a useful thing if you'll be building an opinion on that pile of quicksand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement