Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Bob-A-Jobber become extinct?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

BlueSpiral wrote:
    I remember going bob-a-jobbing a few years back, we went around asking if we could wash people's cars in the middle of winter with cold water and fairy liquid. think I got about 10 pounds out of it. I was 9/10 at the time, and I had never had that much money in my hands before. I treasured it until I got to the shop where I bought a big bag of 1 penny sweets.
    Must have been a fcuking huuuuuge bag! Thats 1000 penny sweets.:eek:
    Pigheads guessing BlueSpiral wears dentures these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

No, not these days, but maybe some day, one can only dream. I got a big bag of 100 sweets, then spent the rest on a little present for my mammy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

BlueSpiral wrote:
    I remember going bob-a-jobbing a few years back, we went around asking if we could wash people's cars in the middle of winter with cold water and fairy liquid. think I got about 10 pounds out of it. I was 9/10 at the time, and I had never had that much money in my hands before. I treasured it until I got to the shop where I bought a big bag of 1 penny sweets.

The poor shopkeeper, if he was like the chap in my hometown, he would be counting every single penny sweet make sure I didn't get one or two too many. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I washed cars for £3 each.
    I made £50 out of one street one day. Some people would give a fiver note because it's all they had in change or as an extra for such a good job.

I also learned how mean some people were. In the innocence as a kid, one person said they didn't have the change to give me, but to pop around in an hour. Anyways I did and he said I didn't wash his car at all. Infact he said he never saw me before.
    His car got mud cakes splattered all over it come Saturday night. :)

Oh he knows I had done it, but had no proof I actually did do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I remember one occasion where I was polishing Ms Fitzgeralds Glasstop coffee table. For some reason, when I rubbed the damn thing, it came loose (I blame the glue) and came down onto the floor....

After 30 mins of profuse apologising, I came away with £2 :D

And dont forget those Roy Of The Rovers bars. One day I was at a shop during lunch where us lads met the girls from the local Cross and Passion. I got one of those damn bars and it broke my front tooth.

My reaction wasn't very masculine...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

zynaps wrote:
    I hear White Mice, Chickeetahs, Wham Bars and Blackjacks. As a (part-part-freelance-)part-time Bob-A-Jobber very now and then eh... back then, I'm glad to hear that others invested as wisely as I did
    As an ex-inedepentant rogue bob a jobber, not affliated with the Scouting Movement of Ireland in any way, shape, or form, I can honestly say that it didn't merit the €8K in dental treatment I've had done in the past 4 years for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I too was a bob a jobber back in the day. i once spent a saturday polishing peoples shoes outside the local newsagents. half the money went to me and the other half went to the scouts.
    i went freelance after being thrown out of scouts when i was about 12. various things such as washing cars, mowing lawns and even doing the dishes for a family one sunday afternoon after they had eaten sunday lunch.
    these days the local kids call around with a lawnmower and mow my lawn. i give them €5 each (there are 3 of them usually).

Advertisement