Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with Fuzzbox!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

modmuffin wrote:
    Would you take it from Jim Corr if you could have a crack at each of his sisters......at the same time

answer the question please, especially now that Jim is single (and super special!)

do you depise players who go broke? or do you want to hug them and loan them the buy in for the Irish Open?

what was your biggest loss? did you learn anything from it?
    what was your biggest win? did you forget anything because of it?

fair play for doing this, it must be a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭fuzzbox

ollyk1 wrote:
    Hellooooooo???? Is there anybody in this well???? :rolleyes:
    Apologies for actually having a life ;).
    Have you any aspirational poker goals beyond making loads of cash?
    like what? .
    What are the three most common mistakes you see from tournie players at cash tables??
    AJo preflop is raise/reraise/shove
    I've got top pair .. ALL IN
    I've got a big hand .. CHECK
    Have you a full-time job these days as I've spotted you out for lunch at the eateries in the vicinity of my place of work recently and I didn't think you got up that early?:p
    Yes, I have always had a full time job.
    If you were down to your case €5k which would you choose
    a) grind it out at low level cash tables to get yourself back in the game?
    b) play at higher levels and take your chances?
    c) Get a backer for a period and continue to play at the higher levels?
    Grind at lower levels. I think that confidence is a big part of winning poker,a nd the best way to get that is to win. Winning at lower levels would increase confidence along with bankroll to be ready to attack the higher game.
    Would you recommend any pro for the advice they give either online or in books etc?
    See earlier answers.
    How big a donkey is Tom McEvoy?
    I've never played him, so I dont really know. I dont much like his writings though.
    How much of your profit comes from one or two really bad players at your table as opposed to generally weak players would you say?
    The big whales are great, but infrequent. You need to be able to profit from both types. I have no idea what the percentages are.
    Do you stake people? If so how do you choose the level at which you back them and how do you decide if they are good enough?
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be, for a loan oft loses itself and a friend and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    It's the very early stages of a well structured tournie and there are two limpers (average €500 game tournie players in Dublin) to your button.

Do you call, raise or fold with the following hands?

J9s
    AJo
    JJ
    Any comments why would be nice too.

Do I know the limpers? Are they likely to fold?

As default,
    call - I can see a cheap flop in position and maybe flop something good, and maybe steal a small flop if nobody flops anything. Sometimes I would raise.
    Call - I dont want to lose the chance to flop a set and win a big pot by raising them off their hands
    Raise - I want to try to win it here, and my hand is not that great in terms of implied odds, so I'm happy to win it now.
    Raise - I have two Jacks man !!!

If you sit down with a full buy in and get KK on your first button and raise it up. UTG limper calls, who you haven't played with before. Flop is 269r. You bet 2/3 pot, UTG calls. Turn 3r. You bet 1/2 pot and get rasied. Do you pay off a set every time or fold? (or do you check the turn..!?)
    I would often check the turn. The board is not very draw heavy, and he limped utg and called a raise, so prolly has a pair. I might even check the flop.
    Is there a level of play in NLH, quantifiable by a blind level on the Internet (eg, party 10/20, FT 50/100) which you think you can't beat in the long run or are you confident you can beat them all given a proper bankroll?

Would you like to see poker in the Olympics?

Right now, I have not beaten the 10/20 game or higher in the long run, but when I get the roll together to go for it, then I most likely will try again.

poker should not be in the olympics.

[nicK] wrote:
    how do you cope with tilt?

what has been your greatest poker achievment so far? (eg: big mtt win, moving up a certain level)

i'm putting 100bbs on the below treble at 5/1, will it win?

blackburn v fulham; blackburn win
    middlesbrough v man utd; utd win
    wigan v liverpool; 'pool win

I tilt too much, but I'm trying to get better.
    Playing regular 10/20 PLO was a great achievement I think. That is a big game, and there was huge pots. I did quite well in that game too.

Betting on 'pool to win an away game is a big risk.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    :eek: That is fecking Godlike.

Well, what else could he have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

These "well" yokes make good reading. Much appreciation to Fuzzbox and Bops (and any upcoming others) for taking the time to answer them so genuinely. Laf too for running the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

Longest losing run?
    What do your relatives think of you playing poker for money?
    Has poker intruded on your personal life ot the extent where you've lost contact with people or stopped doing other hobbies creative or otherwise?
    4 all in s in a tourny, you are sitting on 10k , 6k to call and have everyone covered, you have got 6 7 suited, do you call?

Solksjaer wrote:
    Longest losing run?
    1 month I guess. I usually drop down in stakes to regain confidence if I've been losing (or up to make it back :)).
    What do your relatives think of you playing poker for money?
    They think its great. When you buy a car and do up your house on the proceeds, its kinda easy for them to say think that.
    Has poker intruded on your personal life ot the extent where you've lost contact with people or stopped doing other hobbies creative or otherwise?
    Not really, although I used to play a lot of other games, and now I dont. Maybe its stopped me playing those other games.
    4 all in s in a tourny, you are sitting on 10k , 6k to call and have everyone covered, you have got 6 7 suited, do you call?
    No, the 6k is way too valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

answer the question please, especially now that Jim is single (and super special!)

No
    do you depise players who go broke? or do you want to hug them and loan them the buy in for the Irish Open?
    I dont despise them but nor do I want to hug them and loan them money.
    what was your biggest loss? did you learn anything from it?
    I lost 12.5k in one night soon after starting 10/20 plo. That hurt a lot, and I to think about why this happened. I realised I was overplaying AAxx, as I had lost a few big pots with it in the one night, and I realised that I was playing it super fast all the time. I dont do that now. I try to pick better spots to play it fast.
    what was your biggest win? did you forget anything because of it?
    I won 10k in 10 mins playing 10/20 plo, which was fun. Both times I had AAxx and we got all in preflop for 5k each in a s/handed game. What was most surprising was that it stood up both times.

fair play for doing this, it must be a pain.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    lol. I know. Yet I would still wait until the clock ticked down to the last five seconds while crying big man tears over my keyboard - and I would still make the call and go broke every time. :rolleyes:

I sure let the timer run down. I hovered over the call button for quite some time. If I had AdQd I might have gone broke, but having both the A and the K meant that he couldnt have KdXd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

fuzzbox wrote:
    1 month I guess. I usually drop down in stakes to regain confidence if I've been losing (or up to make it back :)).

They think its great. When you buy a car and do up your house on the proceeds, its kinda easy for them to say think that.

Not really, although I used to play a lot of other games, and now I dont. Maybe its stopped me playing those other games.

No, the 6k is way too valuable.
    off topic but to pay off a car and get the ol gaff done up is impresive winings...
    I bought a gibson guitar ( 2.5k) :) last sept after winning some dosh in the fitz, when anyone asks I say i won it playing poker. When I lose i take it out and poker is a distant memory.....:cool: playing it now in fact whilst dossing online. i GOT THE POOKER BLLLUEESSSS

Thanks fuzzy interesting insights. GL2U( txt spk to annoy 5star)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Thanks Fuzz some good stuff here. Thanks for taking the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

fuzzbox wrote:
    Prob about 10-15 hrs a week I guess.

This intrigues me. From your replies you obviously make a very good 5-figure profit in a year, but you only play 15 hours a week. Is this a case of quality over quantity? If you played more do you think your game would suffer; would you lose your edge, or get bored with the game?

How many hands a week is this, 4-tabling, btw?

Also the thing about being qualified in computer-whatever-it-was: Do you think people who are qualified in technical professions are more suited to playing a game like poker than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I enjoyed reading this.

From your posts you are a family man, do you find it difficult to find a poker/life/work balance?

If it is easy for you to find a balance is this more to do with your partner understanding the demands of your poker life, or you understanding the demands of your private life? I have trouble with both.

Personally I still work as I see you do, from my own viewpoint the reason is that I know plenty of multi millionairre builders and very few millionairre poker players. Do you still work for the security of a guaranteed income, because you enjoy it, or because it will be more financially rewarding?

If overnight you became a break even player would you continue to play for other reasons or is poker simply a financial venture for you?

This intrigues me. From your replies you obviously make a very good 5-figure profit in a year, but you only play 15 hours a week. Is this a case of quality over quantity? If you played more do you think your game would suffer; would you lose your edge, or get bored with the game?

Sometimes I play more than that and sometimes less, but prolly averages out to 10-15 or so. I dont measure it much so I dont actually know.
    I get ~100 hands per hour at 6-max NLHE tables I think .... close enough to make no difference I guess. So 4 tables = 400 hands per hour. Its prolly more like 350.

I have a real job and a real family, so time is hard to come by, which is why its at the level it is at. I do notice that I should not play v.long online sessions, as it can really hurt at the end of the session, when you are tired, hungry and stuck ;).

How many hands a week is this, 4-tabling, btw?
    I dont have a quota for #hands per week, so I dont actually know. But you can hazzard a guess. Sometimes I play full ring plo which is a lot slower.

Also the thing about being qualified in computer-whatever-it-was: Do you think people who are qualified in technical professions are more suited to playing a game like poker than others?

I dont have a clue. I guess logical thinkers should do better, but there is also a place for creativity. I dont know what makes other ppl good.

I enjoyed reading this.
    I would enjoy reading some more posts of interesting spots that you get yourself into. How about you do that a bit more :).
    From your posts you are a family man, do you find it difficult to find a poker/life/work balance?
    The tough part is trying not to let a bad session affect your mood too much. I think this is very hard for me. It bothers me when I am stuck, and I think about it a lot. This helps me in terms of poker, but probably not in terms of family.
    If it is easy for you to find a balance is this more to do with your partner understanding the demands of your poker life, or you understanding the demands of your private life? I have trouble with both.
    It is not easy for sure. I have trouble here too. I am probably obsessive compulsive to at least some extent.
    Personally I still work as I see you do, from my own viewpoint the reason is that I know plenty of multi millionairre builders and very few millionairre poker players. Do you still work for the security of a guaranteed income, because you enjoy it, or because it will be more financially rewarding?
    I dont know any multi-millionaires that are also PAYE workers either ;). Certainly financials are important, especially with a young family, but I also enjoy it. If I didnt then I probably wouldnt do it.
    If overnight you became a break even player would you continue to play for other reasons or is poker simply a financial venture for you?
    I would play, because I love the game, but mostly because I would obsess about becomming better and would not rest until I became a winner again, when I would start to obsess about moving up the levels :).
    Its a never ending cycle really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

fuzzbox wrote:
    What kind of stats?

BB/100 and flop/turn/river AF please sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Is there any level you would reach stakes-wise that would make you quit your job and turn pro?

Is there any level you would reach stakes-wise that would make you quit your job and turn pro?

I dont think its a matter of stakes. Its more a matter of bankroll. Since I have a family, I have a much bigger requirement than a single guy. If I were single, then I might have done so already.

I think it would be tough to be an online pro, it could get quite lonely. I dont know how I would deal with that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Great reading fuzz, couple more for you:

What do you think were the most important things (if anything) that helped you beat the 6max micro limit online cash games (e.g .25/.50 , .50/1 ) ?

In general, without any major reads on opponents, how do you play UTG at 6 max cash online? What do you think is a good range to raise with here, how would you play low pp's in this spot etc ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Fuzz fair play to you for giving of your time to answere all of the questions - this is a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

If you don't mind, would you go to PT game notes and hit get all, and post up your 3 biggest wins and 3 biggest losses hands? I love reading high stakes action. Of course, feel free to edit out any tilty bluffs with 27o gone wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

thanks FB and Bops. These threads have made great reading.

djsctt wrote:
    Great reading fuzz, couple more for you:

What do you think were the most important things (if anything) that helped you beat the 6max micro limit online cash games (e.g .25/.50 , .50/1 ) ?
    At that level, the players are pretty transparent. They tend to tell you what they have, so you just have to take advantage of that information.

Taking advantage sometimes means folding. They dont tell you that in books.
    In general, without any major reads on opponents, how do you play UTG at 6 max cash online? What do you think is a good range to raise with here, how would you play low pp's in this spot etc ?

Thanks.
    Thats a big question, and depends an awful lot on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Fuzz,

Cheers for taking the time out to post - great read....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dark Hair

Cheers fuzzbox. Really cool read from a humanistic point as well as a poker one. That is if, in your case they can be seperated :)

Really loved the bit about putting a second 50 into your online account and never a penny more since. My 50 is going nowhere fast!!! :D I am slightly inspired but will still donk it at some time in the near future.

Thanks for taking the time to reply etc. And well done everyone else for the great questions. Including bops for his "Well" educationalism'isms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

TY fuxxbox, interesting reading.
    I'll set up the next Q&A in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Excellent read... thanks for taking the time fuzz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement