Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread for Over 18's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Peacheh wrote:
    Meh, I pretended I still believed for 2 years so I could ask for more stuff.

My evil older sister told me when I was about 7.

Not far off my own story but see another story below. :)

Our teacher told us in 6th class anyway and make sure "not to tell the little ones in the younger classes". Lots of evil laughs from the bauld chaps down the back of the class.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What do you mean theres no Santa?
    Do people really not figure it out even when they're 12?
    I must have been 7... maybe younger
    I know I pretended for a year or two for more stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Scrap it tbh. The world has become far too materialistic.

"OMG Mammy and Daddy look, Santa got me the very things I've been asking you for all year! And he built this xBox 360? He must be getting really good with a soldering iron! And his coding is top notch! Wow!" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

The whole Santa charade should be scrapped. Lyings not cool.
    petes wrote:
    Did you get any extra presents from Santa when she did believe? Know some people who did to keep up the pretense.

Oh yeah. I have been spoilt rotten by, em, Santa,

Every Christmas morning my sister would Wake up at about 6 or 7. Now I know that might sound awful to most people, but it wasn't. She used to wake so early as she was so excited.
    We have a rule in our house, you can't go downstairs to see what Santa has brought until everyone is awake.
    This obviously adds to my sisters uncontrollable excitement as she runs about all of our bedrooms, pleading with us all to get up.
    Eventually, we all get up, and we congregate at the top of the stairs.
    Saoirse, that's my lil sis, she takes the lead. By the time she gets to the bottom of the stairs she is hopping up and down like a mad thing. She has to wait for my dad to give her the key to the living room door.(the door is always locked so we can say things like "wow, so Santa 'MUST' have got in through the Chimney!!!)
    She is so hysterical at this stage that she can hardly get the key into the lock, her hand is shaking so much.
    Anyhow, she finally gets the door open and then comes an unmerciful scream as she runs into the room, which is now full of presents.

All of our presents are set out in bundles, so I have a bundle, she has a bundle, etc.

She usually runs around the room saying things like:

"Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh Audrey, Oh My God, Santa must Looooove you, you got a mobile phone!, oh and Gavin, you got a psp, Ahhhh, and look, and look, I got a bike, and a video game, and a bratz van, and Oh My God, Audrey, LOOK! You got a GHD!!!"

Oh God, I am actually feeling a bit sad about the fact that I wont get to enjoy any of that anymore.
    I still love Christmas, but there is nothing like a kids excitement to put the cherry on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

This pic was taken on my Camera phone last Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My sis and I are 18 and 19. Santa still comes to us:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Scraggs wrote:
    My sis and I are 18 and 19. Santa still comes to us:eek:
    I'm 20, my sis is 18, brother is 15 and the youngest is only 8 so we still have the privilage of Santa's presence :D

We're fairly sure she knows its all a farce but I also think she has some comprehension of the fact that believing will be more "beneficial" for her! Clever bitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I was never told that there was a santa, and I always felt a great smug sense of self satisfaction, because I knew something none of my friends knew! It was great being in on the secrets of the old people, I just felt so much more mature, knowing that there wasn't this mythical fat guy breaking into people's houses and such. And I think that's better than being lied to for your whole childhood, then driven to depression when you discover the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They should be told before secondary school to prevent bullying
    Sofaspud wrote:
    I was never told that there was a santa, and I always felt a great smug sense of self satisfaction, because I knew something none of my friends knew! It was great being in on the secrets of the old people, I just felt so much more mature, knowing that there wasn't this mythical fat guy breaking into people's houses and such. And I think that's better than being lied to for your whole childhood, then driven to depression when I discover the truth.

Driven to depression. I don't think its that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

petes wrote:
    Driven to depression. I don't think its that bad.

well, I was exaggerating slightly, but I've seen how devastated kids get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Beruthiel wrote:
    Not only is there a santa, but he's a member of boards!
    Further proof that Piggie knows fuk all....
    Is all this cos he didn't come visit you in the last few years Piggie?
    That's what happens when you're a bold boy.

Ah right, Pighead didn't realise that if somebody chooses a username then they automatically become their username. Pigheads off to the Help Desk for a name change so.

Beruthials Favourite Vibrator has a nice ring to it.
    Pighead is dead, long live the BFV!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Sofaspud wrote:
    well, I was exaggerating slightly, but I've seen how devastated kids get.

Character building. They probably got better presents the year they knw/were told anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I found out before secondary, around 10 iirc.

Its something that made christmas even more exciting, and it hasn't been the same since then tbh. The build up to Santa coming and all was unbelievable when I was a kid, could barely sleep knowing he was coming to give me presents, when I found out it was my parents it lost some of that excitement.
    I'll have my kids believing in Santa too.

There was one kid in our school whos parents never played Santa, got the sh1te bullied out of him (not by me though), really made such a difficult time for himself throughout November til around February, for going around trying to convince people Santa wasn't real. Bad choice on his parents behalf tbh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Atari Reindeer
    Never too old to have fun, but...

If Santa's going to come down my chimney, he's gotta be slim, trim, and playful, or no cookies and milk!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Atari Reindeer
    Pighead wrote:
    Do you think that there should be a class set aside for the final day of Primary School to tell kids once and for all that there is no Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny.

Not a good idea, I remember way back in 5th or 6th class the topic of Santa came up in the middle of a class, most of the class said ‘no such thing’, but one girl was in denial and got severely laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

My Mum told me when I was 7. I kept asking her why the really bold mean girl in my class was getting millions of presents when Mum was telling me Santa couldn't afford to make me a little typewriter. She was obviously feeling a bit emotional and stressed from guilt & just roared 'BECAUSE I'M SANTA CLAUS!'.

I think she still hasn't forgiven herself, which is rather unfortunate as I can clearly see why she would have snapped after the millionth time a 7 year old questioned the justice of the North Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I found out when I was 6. My mam coming in the door early from work (unheard of) on a Thursday with a big smyths toystore plastic big with the toys.

Instant reaction was "Oh that's the toy I wanted for Christmas"

She quite blankly denied that I seen any toys in a bag and that I was daydreaming.

A week of searching for where she hid them commenced. Of course the one room in the house that was locked was the parents bedroom.
    They were pretty much amateurs at doing the Christmas thing. I could hear them wrapping them on Christmas eve at 3 am. :)

Oh and yeah, santa has some great writing. (Dads writing when he is drunk) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Snooping in my parent's room.. i found a Snes which i'd wanted! *

Told my older sister who tried to deny it was for me.. but the damage was done.

* ..yes, i was 21 at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I do feel funny trying to get my son to believe in Santa.
    We don't put a lot of emphasis on him.

And then there's the really tough decision... should Santa be the one to give him the extremely awesome gift or should his parents be the heroes and Santa just gives extras?

For me, it's all about the eggnog!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Atari Reindeer
    Can't remember my age, but I think it was early(ish) [err, I hope…]. I had my suspicions, so I put a finger print kit out. I asked Santa to kindly use the ink, and sign his name as well.

The homemade suspect sheet was full in the morning but as I natively went about getting everyone's fingerprints – shock, shock, the chain of evidence went missing!!! What a sad young git I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I learned pretty quickly that writing to santa was a waste of time because I would never get what I asked him for... so I wasn't too surprised to find out it was my parents buying the presents. I remember when I was around 10 me and my younger brother would sneak into our parents room a few weeks before christmas and find all the presents. We'd carefully unwrap them and check them out then wrap them up again and put them away. Did that for a few years running. Had to act surprised on Christmas morning though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I never believed in Santa. Don't know why. My parents tried half heartedly, but I was having none of it. I spent my time at school telling people to cop on. One girl claimed to have seen him, on his sleigh, flying across the sky, and he was b@llock naked. She must have had issues.
    I've no doubt I ruined it for a good few kids. ffs. They deserved it. I don't feel I missed out on anything (apart from Pighead style humiliation:D )

Advertisement