Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your dreams ever come true?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Ive always had my dreams come true, but lately, they seem to come true a lot faster, and in more detail

Last night I dreamt my college admin called me, and today, she did. I wasnt expectin her to ever need to call me again

Wha about you guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Mmm, not that I can recall.... but that's probably a good thing, since some of my dreams are very strange and/or disturbing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't say it has ever happened me. Any other examples OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

YES it has happened with unnerving accuracy.
    I don't consider the OP`s to have had a dream come true (no offensive meant) but things like "i dreamed that a friend and me went to X pub" and then you do go to that pub its not relay a dream coming true its more of a probability that you will go to the pub with a friend.

i once dreamed that i went on a certain holiday with a group of friends and on the holiday the group was assaulted outside a shop by a group of other people. I smashed the window of the shop and grabbed the metal railing that was holding up a line of coats and used it to beat the attackers to death. but sadly one of my friends died and that was more less the dream

Now i decided not to go on that holiday but when i was looking though the photos when they came back, i saw the EXACT shop/window where the dream combat took place.

And i very much doubt it was my mind laying tricks on me, so would that have meant that if i had gone that i would have been the cause for the combat that took place in my dream? that somehow me being there caused them to attack and me not being there everything went ok?

Also how did i dream of a shop i had never seen? the stretch of street i had never been to or never even seen in a movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

User45701 wrote:
    Also how did i dream of a shop i had never seen? the stretch of street i had never been to or never even seen in a movie?
    Maybe your mind 'filled in the blanks' when you saw the photos?
    Personally I find images in my dreams lack detail without me being fully concious of the fact.
    It's only afterwards that if someone asked me to describe additional visual details, I'd realize that I hadn't noticed it in the first place.

Then again, how many places would you visit for a few minutes in real life and be able to sketch in detail later?
    You'd surely still recognise a place and the familiar details would come flooding back... that's how it works for me anyway.
    But what if those details didn't exist in the first place? Would your mind just fill in the blanks and accept that it must be the same place?

That's my brain-fart on it anyway :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I occasionally have nightmares, and I am glad that they do not predict the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

on occasion i'd tend to have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I normally have dreams about things that I have already done or has happened to me. I can't think of any dreams that I have had that have actually come true. Unless you count the, dreaming of having lunch in a certain place with certain people and then doing that the next day. To me they are just your mind elaborating on what you're planning on doing anyway, not predicting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 sparkicks1

this might or might not be true but as far as i can see...
    a simple explanation would be that while your mind goes through all the things that you have in your memory to catagorise and store them it acts like a huge virtual simulation that picks up on details that you dont consciously recgonise. like some sort of sign eg a quiver in a voice a certain look or a number of hints... and it replays what might happen afterwards... so this would be a very simple and oblivious example if a man had been following you around the previous day with a dagger and when you looked at him you just thought "danger" and ran but when you thought over it that night your mind realised he was looking or "aiming" at your shoulder and makes you dream he stabbed you there and the next day he does ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well the only contribution I can make to this thread is to recount a dream that I had when I was fifteen. Basically I was in a white room talking to a woman dressed all in black and I was saying that I was going to London in the morning, and she asked me did I want any money. I said no I was ok for money and then woke up immediately with the whole scene still vivid in my mind and nearly hit myself for not saying yes to the chance of free money. I bet if you were still fifteen you'd agree with me there! Anyway, that dream stuck in my mind because of this.

Roll forward six months, and my parents give me a plane ticket to visit my aunt and cousins in Bedford as a surprise birthday present! I was over there for a couple of days and decided to go to London the next day. So I told my cousin who was a goth all dressed in black (natch), and we were in their new extension (lots of white wallpaper not yet painted) when I told her I was going to London tomorrow and she asked me if I was ok for money and I said no! :eek: At that moment my dream came back to me in exquisite detail and it all made sense. But I still didn't get any money though!

Advertisement