Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasses - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 30-11-2006 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

While in the car a few days ago my friend and I were looking at signs and I couldn't believe all he could read that I couldn't, and this led me to wonder how good is my eyesight.

I was off work this evening so I decided to go get my eyes checked and it turns out that I am slightly short sighted. My prescription reads: -0.75, -0.25, 90 for each eye. (I know this sounds weird but I am shocked.) The optician said it is up to me whether or not I get glasses. I tried on lots of pairs, my face looks totally different with glasses. I kinda like the look, but not sure. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get them.

Has anyone got a similiar prescription? and if so do you feel they help much and how often do you wear them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My eyesight was only very slightly out when I first got glasses.
    I passed the driving license exam for not needing glasses but I found
    my vision was still a bit off so I wear them when I'm driving. Also wear
    them for reading and working at computer.

Over the past few months though my eyesight seems to be getting
    more blurred and I usually wear them the whole time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

When I was younger I had mild short sightedness like yours and I didn't fancy the whole idea of glasses but I got them anyway just in case. I later found that it was a lot safer to drive with them on than without them (regardless of what the optician says) especially when overtaking. At this time of the year people don't always have their lights on when at dawn and dusk and its a lot easier to see them coming with glasses on.

My eyesight has got a bit worse since and nowadays I use the glasses for driving, presentations/lectures, small television sets and sometimes at the cinema.

My advice would be to get the glasses anyway, just in case, you don't HAVE to wear them. But please check them out for driving, spotting something small and distant could save your life and other peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Get contacts? -0.75? grr. I'm -4.75! So blind... I get more attention with glasses. Those weird librarian/naughty secretary lame fantasies guys have or something.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

if you don't like the look, what about contact lenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 polly oliver

Don't get contacts. If your eyesight isn't that bad its not worth it for the short space of time each day you'll have to use glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I know a few people at 0.75 who have glasses for occasionally use, lectures and so on...but I wouldn't say you're in desperate need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I have contacts 2 years now. I was told about 3 years ago that i should get glasses for reading, class ect

I wore them for a few months to get my eyes ready for contacts. I hated them, but thats just the type of person i am. I feel a bit insecure with them! :o I couldn't live without my contacts, especially in college.

I went from a -1.75 to a -2.50 in the past 2 years....worrying? The optician doesn't seem to think so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Gazza22 wrote:
    I have contacts 2 years now. I was told about 3 years ago that i should get glasses for reading, class etc

I wore them for a few months to get my eyes ready for contacts. I hated them, but thats just the type of person i am. I feel a bit insecure with them! :o I couldn't live without my contacts, especially in college.

I went from a -1.75 to a -2.50 in the past 2 years....worrying? The optician doesn't seem to think so though.
    I jumped up one dioptre in both eyes in a year. If you're relatively young I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Crucifix wrote:
    I jumped up one dioptre in both eyes in a year. If you're relatively young I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, yea my optician said that to me, not to worry because i am young and my eye's will continue to change for awhile and then start to settle on a prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Glasses are hot. Go for them! (But get a nice pair).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Get contacts? -0.75? grr. I'm -4.75! So blind... I get more attention with glasses. Those weird librarian/naughty secretary lame fantasies guys have or something.:rolleyes:

Oh stop it kitten you're getting me going:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

If you have a fairly round face then square angled glasses can even things out nicely. I'm sure it works the other way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

go to specsavers!!! theyve lotsa cool glasses!! designers and all!! 2 for 1, cant go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've being wearing glasses since sixth year in school.

Make sure you get a good pair starting off-by good, I mean that they sit on your nose comfortably.

Contacts can be a bit fiddly to be honest and I personally do not think they are worth the effort to be putting them in and taking them out every day. Forgetting to take them out at night results in you having quite red eyes in the morning.

However, they are relatively cheap. You can get 30 daily disposable pairs for about 30 euros in some opticians.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wear glasses, and I <3 them. They're thick, square, dark purple frames. They make me stand out and people always comment on them.

I wear contacts too, but only on special occasions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I still have grand vision, but I've seen some people who actually look more attractive in the right kind of eye wear. Others might consider contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'About 2/3 months ago I called in to specsavers because I was on the medical card and thought I might as well make use of it for the short time I have it.

I got my eyes tested and it turned out, to my surprise, I needed glasses. I was shocked. I never had headaches or felt extra tired etc. and I stare at a computer screen for a minimum of 6 hours a day. It turns out that I have astigmatism with the left eye -1.5 and the right eye -2.5. Apparently the left eye is compensating for my right eye and that is why I dont notice.

It is very very weird to have to choose glasses when you never wore them before. Every pair looks very strange. I bought 2 pairs (2 for 1). Tried wearing them for a while and found I was very flustered trying to drive with them on. This might sound strange but everything seemed too clear. It was like I could not concentrate or focus on the road because too much around me was in focus - I don't know how many accidents I nearly had driving. When I used the computer, the screen looked greyer than normal - I swore I could pick out the edge each pixel on the screen. It was hard to work with them. I could not focus on TV. When I took them off it took a while for my eyes to re-adjust. I don't want to be dependant on glasses like that especially when they felt so strange. So I stopped wearing them. A waste of 200 euro.

The funny thing is, I still think I can see better without them.

The difference is I can read signs even from a far distance just as good as anyone I have met but yet when I was in front of the Snellen eye chart I could only read half of it with my right eye. Gonna get retested cos I think it was cos I just woke up before the appointment.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I've being wearing glasses since sixth year in school.

Make sure you get a good pair starting off-by good, I mean that they sit on your nose comfortably.

Contacts can be a bit fiddly to be honest and I personally do not think they are worth the effort to be putting them in and taking them out every day. Forgetting to take them out at night results in you having quite red eyes in the morning.

However, they are relatively cheap. You can get 30 daily disposable pairs for about 30 euros in some opticians.

or buy them online for cheaper.my prescription is identical in each eye so i just instead of having to buy two packs when i'm skint one will do til pay day. i get mine at getlenses.com they're based in blackrock and they are out by post in a day or 2. 90 pairs for €90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

hehehe I remember when I first got my glasses AGES ago.
    I had been compensating for years without them, though I can really see feck all. So I was identifying people in the distance by their build and the way they walked. I was quite good at it too.

Then I got the glasses I realised how ugly most people actually are! :D
    The casual 'air-brushed' effect was gone any time I wore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hmmmm wrote:
    I never had headaches or felt extra tired etc. and I stare at a computer screen for a minimum of 6 hours a day.
    Most people don't get headaches or tiredness, even without their glasses.

I was probably really bad (now that I look at it) when I was around 10/12, but the idea of having poor sight doesn't cross your mind - when it's what you're used to, you don't think the world looks any different.

-0.75 and -.25 isn't that bad at all. Certainly, you should be well able to watch TV and do most things without glasses. My eyes dropped a point (?) in the last two years, and I got my contacts changed, but never bothered changing my glasses. It got to the point where although my glasses were adequate for everyday use, they were bordering on dangerous when driving (particularly at night). If I wasn't wearing contacts for most of the rest of the time, I probably wouldn't have noticed the one point difference however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

matt25 wrote:
    Has anyone got a similiar prescription? and if so do you feel they help much and how often do you wear them?

My prescription is pretty much the same as yours and I only wear my glasses if I'm driving or reading for a prolonged period. They've definitely made a difference - my eyes are less tired these days. At the moment some of my friends wouldn't even know that I ever wear glasses at all, but if I end up having to wear them more in the future it wouldn't really bother me tbh. If you get a pair that really suits you it'll give you a whole new 'look' to experiment with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

glasses are great! they even look kinda sexy to some who wears them.:D i myself wear one.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

chamlis wrote:
    Then I got the glasses I realised how ugly most people actually are! :D
    The casual 'air-brushed' effect was gone any time I wore them.

When I got them I realised how ugly I really am :rolleyes: I look in the mirror and thought who the hell is that guy with all the blemishes ........ I want the air brushed effect back LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Personally I hate everything about glasses.
    I particularly hate the way they look.
    I hate the way they steam up when you drink tea.
    I hate the fact that they are a crutch.
    I hate the fact that the more you use them the worse your eyesight gets.

I used to wear contacts until I saved up enough money to get the laser treatment done.

Without doubt the best thing I ever spent money on. EVER !!
    11 years on and loving it.

Glasses suck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

megadodge wrote:
    Personally I hate everything about glasses.
    I particularly hate the way they look.
    I hate the way they steam up when you drink tea.
    I hate the fact that they are a crutch.
    I hate the fact that the more you use them the worse your eyesight gets.

I used to wear contacts until I saved up enough money to get the laser treatment done.

Without doubt the best thing I ever spent money on. EVER !!
    11 years on and loving it.

Glasses suck !!

On the flip side I like wearing my glasses they are just part of me now. Have thought about the laser and contacts side of things but at the end of the day I feel more myself when I am wearing my glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've been wearing glasses about 5 years now. Had been planning to get laser surgery next year but then decided that as I don't wear my glasses all of the time, so not sure if its worth the expense & also as its still relatively new the long term effects aren't known.

Hoping to get contacts in the next few weeks as I don't really like wearing glasses, especially out at night, which is one time I generally need them as I can't see very well in dimly lit places. Although as other said previously, while I don't like them that much, a lot of people say they look quite sexy etc., so it's obviously different strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Been wearing glasses for more than 25 years now. My eyesight is much worse than yours (I can't read what I'm typing without them) so I wear them all the time. Even for occasional use get a decent pair. I'd recommend getting plastic ultralight lenses in as small a frame as you can get away with. The flexible metal frames are excellent but a bit pricey. The idea is to keep the weight of the glasses as low as possible so you soon forget that they are there.

If you see a two for the price of one offer try and get a second pair as prescription polarised sunglasses. The clip on sunglasses will destroy your lenses. Make sure that the tint in the sunglasses is light enough so that you can comfortably read indoors wearing them - that way you don't need to take two pairs out with you. You will find that the light tinted glasses are especially useful for driving in both the summer and times like this when the sun is low in the sky. They are also handy for looking into rivers if you are into fishing...Glasses, where would you be without them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

only wear them when watching tv or in the cinema (on dates i just refer to them as shades, or sex magnets...*cough*), but they do make a lot of people look far more attractive. but as was already pointed out, they make you loose that airbrushed filter that bad eyesight brings

• Registered Users Posts: 81,808 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont pretend to wear glasses but I find that when someone wears the right pair they look much cooler than without them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I had the same dealio, only got glasses in September, not entirely sure what test means:

R: -0.25 -0.50 145
    L: -0.25

Whatever it means, my right eye gives a bit of blurryvision for text at a moderate distance. The glasses-look can be pretty decent depending on what you go for, mine are slim, wanted them to cover the least amount of real-estate possible.

I only started thinking I might need glasses because I walk down a lot of long roads (with very blurry ends), at the end of which my eyes would be sore, and I'd get the odd headache.

The best thing about wearing glasses is prescription sunglasses :) No more 20 euro sunglasses from River Island.

Advertisement