Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 30-11-2006 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am in a alot of despair and i need advice on what to do...

I have a g/f of 7 years and we have a 4 yo boy. We were renting but last year we decided to move into my mother so that we could save for a house.

We have saved 20k and we need to get out of my mothers asap (for various reasons)

My options are...

Jump in and get a mortgage. I would get about 300k which is not gonna get me much in dublin and i dont want my son growing up in an area that i could afford right now (im living in clondalkin so im not a snob!) and im very anxious about investing in property at the moment until i see what happens with the market.

Wait and see if the affordable housing treshold increases (it 40k at the mo in my area, i earn about 45k)

Private rent

Private rent but get the social to pay for it, this would mean that she would have to give up her job, something she is not keen to do.

I am being driven to the depths of despair and would really appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

don't do anything until after the budget - looks likely that stamp duty for all first time buyers may become a thing of the past.

300k is enough for this http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=297285&np=&rt=search&searchlist= with 30k to spare

http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=294143&np=&rt=search&searchlist= with 20k to spare

http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=291961&np=&rt=search&searchlist= with 30k to spare

All look OK -

S

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I havent a clue about the technical side of things, but best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

:mad: :mad: .
    i earn about 45k)

Private rent

Private rent but get the social to pay for it,

I can't believe the cheek of you. You earn 45k and you want the welfare to pay your rent.Grow up,be a man. iT'S TIME TO FLY THE NEST. Stand on your own two feet,provide for your partner and child and stop whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the boss of me, stop flaming. No need to be so judgemental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The real estate bubble seems to have popped in the States. Housing is dropping in value. New housing starts are declining. Me thinks that housing is overpriced in Ireland as well, but the bubble has not popped there yet. You may want to look into this before taking on a huge mortgage? Timing could save you a lot and gain you a lot in the long run?

• Advertisement
Advertisement