Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to pay for xmas party?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Our company pays for half it but we dont even get one free drink. And this year its is in Athlone, so we have to pay for our train there and back or else petrol .............then you have to pay for the hotel and the then your dinner and drinks .........its €70 and no partners are allowed .....hardly anyone is going, so my department have organised our own seperate night out in dublin which obviously we have to pay for ourselves and we are not allowed mention the companies name when booking the food !!!!!!!!!!!!! tight fisted bastards and now they are arguing with me over my overtime which is another matter entirely but....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Work in public sector now and nothing is paid for. This year we are going for a late lunch at one of the Lemongrass restaurants so thats ok. Previously worked in the private sector and for year 1) everything was paid for, drinks before dinner, dinner, copious amounts of drinks afterward and a bus was arranged to take us all home to wherever we lived. Year 2) it was dinner and drinks and again a bus to take us all home to wherever. Year 3) they tried to get us all of pay towards the cost of the night out at there was uproar so the powers that be backed down and drinks before dinner, dinner and drinks afterward were paid for but we had to make our own way home. Year 4) one of the banks bought the comapny over and the Christmas party took place in January and we had to pay €70.00 toward the cost and for that we got a crappy meal, two drinks, zero atmosphere and it was sh**e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Why don't you boycott it if you have to pay ????? Especially at the prices some of you are quoting - have a good pissup instead !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im only getting 3 free christmas parties this year :(
    last year there was 4.

the team
    the company
    the client
    the clients contractor (gone now)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I work for/with a few departments and one of them wants me to pay 60 bills for the party...

fock that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Our party is 20 quid a head for dinner and dance and spot prizes which isnt bad value.However if we cant get 80 people they're gonna cancel it,which is a bit of a pain in the arse for those of us that want to go.Its usually the younger crowd here that never go to anything then they whinge that they dont know anybody.If we had the thing for free and had free drink all night,people would still be moaning,it pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

We get it partly subsidised by the company. It usually works out at €35 quid a head, but this year, the morale is so low, no-one wants a christmas party except for management, so they're getting it all paid for. I think that was their plan all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Work for the health board, we pay absolutely everything and organise it ourselves. Also no christmas bonus, nothing, not even one of those crappy hampers with sh1t wine and 'luxury' chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

God, I work in a small business (part-time), and I'm gettin a slap up meal then a night on the piss, all expenses covered!! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The company I work for made STG£8 billion (yep, thats right) profit last year, and we have to pay €25 per head for a 5 course meal thingy with band etc in the Gresham.

A place I worked for before in Limerick gave us free nights out in Dromoland castle (5 star) with Champagne reception the works, and for the Millenium Christmas flew us all to Paris for a night with a cruise up the Seine, 5 course meal, Chanpagne, the works. That was classy. They are bust now though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My Boss takes us out for lunch and a few drinks but he pays for it out of his own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I work for the biggest company ever invented and we have to pay a tenner for our party, not sure what that even includes as its my first year but we get 2 free drinks. Pretty sh!tty alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

God, I work in a small business (part-time), and I'm gettin a slap up meal then a night on the piss, all expenses covered!! :D

I was pretty much the same, twas a special christmas party thingy in a hotel, boss paid for it, we got a meal and a few bottles of wine per table, all we'd to pay for was any extra drink we wanted ourselves, after the wine ran out the boss ordered more! (she was pissed at this stage) all I paid for was a taxi home! only way it should be done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

We get a meal, a large drink tab and a DJ or whatever. Sounds like we're fairly lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Man !Paying for your own christmas do... Thats just plain scabby. I work for a company who is contracted by a semi state owned company.

The semi state company are : having the usual christmas party with free drink and a three course meal etc etc

they are also bringing our sector out for a swanky meal, last year it was in Fitzers.

then my own company, are a bit more scabby, they rent some place and give us 5 drink tokens (still brilliant not complaining)

so tiz the season to be jolly for moi! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

our place, mulled wine reception, 5 course meal & ABBA tribute band....grand if your over 40, but 99% of us ain't and we gotta pay €60 a pop for it,

And no free drinks!

~ Idgeitman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

Taxi Office i work in,

Party starts at 3PM
    collection by taxi - free
    meal - free
    a few drinks - free
    a pub crawl - free
    nite club - free
    taxi home - free

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I had mine last night in the Telstra Dome stadium in Melbourne. Started at 6.30 with a pitchside drinks reception then up to a fancy function room. Glass walled with a view of the pitch on one side and the city on the other. Good meal. Free bar til 1am. Didn't spend a penny.

Hungover to bits now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I work for a company with 300+ employees. We get 2 christmas parties, one is a drinks thing with a "finger buffet", the other is a four-course meal with a band afterwards. Food, drink & mini-bus home is all paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

we are starting about 3/4 in the pub, free drinks, then we having a meal in the pub, steak whatever,free also, then gettin absolutly twised for free :)
    all i gota pay for is my taxi home :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Our Xmas party has us go to a fancy Restaurant in town and food and drink is paid for till the end of the meal. Se get a good few in the bar before the meal and the wine flows freely during the meal. Afterwards we're on our own but its still fairly decent.

Its on tonight actually so I better start getting ready:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One next Tuesday is Client/Company and is going to cost €48 for meal and club and some drinks for the night. No partners.

Company one is free and free for a partner too. It includes a meal and wine although is a black tie affair.

Smaller company one is free too and free for partner. Free meal and more free drink than the bigger company affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Reason is we do, we were invited to it by top brass as they say but the catch is everyone has to pay for their own!
    We work in private sector..
    Is this the norm?! (I hope not!)

it's norm. it's our own share. that's the spirit.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

nope! got two xmas partys too :D

but in my last job you had to pay about €25 to go to the xmas party. i never went in the 4 years i worked there. loada b*ll*x! :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Reason is we do, we were invited to it by top brass as they say but the catch is everyone has to pay for their own!
    We work in private sector..
    Is this the norm?! (I hope not!)
    I also work in the private sector & our party is paid for by the company, they pay for wine with dinner & we buy our own drinks for the rest of the night.

One of the (new) girls has decided she is not going because her drink won't be paid for all night! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

We get a free "Christmas" dinner, but its usually held in January/february because we have our Christmas parties to host in the run up to Christmas. But its 5* food so its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I was off work the day of the free crimbo canteen dinner :( Canteen isnt even all that tasty on a normal day (apart from when they do glazed ham, its always bleedin delish) but the Christmas dinner last year was one of the best Ive ever eaten.

As for the work party, the dinner, venue etc etc was free and we got 3 free drinks (and a driving colleague gave me two of their tickets, so at least I got a free starter menu :) )

Oul one used to get an entire night free bar at her do, which was wasted on her seeing as she barely drinks (works for a certain company run by one of Irelands richest men. Pay is awful though). They cut it out because so many people litreally drank themselves near unconscious, determined to run up the bill in some type of revenge for the poor general pay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Not only did we have to pay for our own xmas party with no money from management. To top it off HR sent around an email telling us that the xmas party was an extension of our working environment and as such we had to behave and make sure we didnt get too drunk. They recomended various activities (like games and dancing and to stop serving alcohol 2 hours before the end of the event) to stop people from getting drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gazzer wrote: »
    Not only did we have to pay for our own xmas party with no money from management. To top it off HR sent around an email telling us that the xmas party was an extension of our working environment and as such we had to behave and make sure we didnt get too drunk. They recomended various activities (like games and dancing and to stop serving alcohol 2 hours before the end of the event) to stop people from getting drunk.

Had a near similiar situation last year. There was a talent show on in work (well, in a large tent outside the building) the drink was free but there were two drawbacks

a- You had to use colour coded tickets to get a drink. e.g. Use the green ticket between 8pm and 9pm, use the red one between 9 and 10 etc etc. Effectively restricting us to one pint per hour.

b- If you thought this was bollix, you couldnt buy a drink with cash, only a free one with a ticket, the barmen (Polish lads who I recognised from a local offy, they got in the party catering package alot of them do for large corporate events) were told not to accept cash for drink, all ticket only, one pint per hour.

Luckily some eagle eyed colleague realised there were 3 members of security giving out tickets, and none of these lads were standing near each other, therefore we got 3 books of colour coded tickets per hour i.e. 3 free pints per hour, rather than the single pint per hour the firm wanted us drinking, sorted :) By the end of the night all the cider in the kegs wasnt gone (beer was all gone, as was stout, iirc you could only get Heineken, Bulmers, Guinness or wine). Having drank the Heineken or Guinness dry we moved onto the Bulmers and onward to a house party, absoloutely mouldy, great night :)

Advertisement