Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the sight of a smoker offensive, Bad people ?

Options
  • 29-11-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I know there is another tread going but.....

Something that happened the other day that shocked me...

Was having a smoke with a mate outside the back door of work one morning, Its a designated area for it.

Wind blowing a hooley, about to Rain..

another employee gets out of her car and approaches the Door ( We are about 1.5m from it.

and said 'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    I said Ya we do..
    She replied ' Well its not very nice for us non smokers'

Now I dont think Passive smoking could be an issue here with the wind... If im offended by something i stay away from it.

Or is it just a case of, If you give someone a stick they are going to beat something with it...

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I think ye should all go around with fish bowls on ye're heads when smoking. But then where would ye keep fish while smoking? An aquarium is an option, albeit one outside the price range of most, especially those without adequate sitting room space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Obviously yer wan got out of the wrong side of the bed!!
    You werent standing in her way so what was her problem??? witch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

would like to suggest using her head as an ashtray but thats not very nice.

TBH .....NAH CAN'T SAY THAT EITHER.

Maybe suggest she park some where else for a change, may be in Chernobyl.!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The whole idea of a smoking place is so smokers can smoke with out pissing off non smokers.

In my office the smoking area used to be under my window so people would smoke and I would get the left overs.

Said it a few times but nothing was done with it. Now no one smokes in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Why can we all just get along :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well I'm a non smoker and I have to say it does bother me if smoke is blowing back in the door when someones smoking outside... I don't see the point of standing in the doorway when the wind is clearly blowing it back it, it kind of defeats the purpose.. Why not just walk a few feet away from the door? It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

xzanti wrote:
    It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

Maybe people who like garlic or don't brush their teeth properly in the mornings should just walk everywhere.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    'Oh, does it bother you?'
    'Yeah, it's not really nice for us non-smokers, is it?'
    'Never realised' *walks a few feet away from the door*
    'Thanks a bunch'
    'No problem'
    'Well see ya anyway'
    'Bye'

And lo, all is well. I'm a non-smoker but I can't see why she had issue with it. But still, I can't see why you just couldn't have humoured her. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A bunch of people loitering around by the entrance always looks bad. It doesn't matter what they're doing.

More places should provide a smoking shack.

xzanti wrote:
    Well I'm a non smoker and I have to say it does bother me if smoke is blowing back in the door when someones smoking outside... I don't see the point of standing in the doorway when the wind is clearly blowing it back it, it kind of defeats the purpose..

We werent standing in front of the door, It wasnt blowing back in, Its a cigg, not a Red flare
    xzanti wrote:
    Why not just walk a few feet away from the door?

Now what would your guidelines be, 10meters, 100meters, Difficult is some workplaces, the further away you get from one door the closer you get to another
    xzanti wrote:
    It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

Wow, and what traffic belches out is so much healtier, 6 and 1/half a Dozen of...
    xzanti wrote:
    Selfish IMO

Id say there is no pleasing some people only i dont want to offend anyone that might have had a Tragedy in their family do to smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

xzanti wrote:
    Why not just walk a few feet away from the door?

Ah come on now xzanti, first we're made go outside and now you want us to go away from the building altogether in case a bit of smoke *might* blow in the door?

Not a chance. I suppose we should be made wear special clothing too incase we come back in with the smell of smoke on our clothing?

I do intend on quitting (and am in the process of) but when I eventually do, I pray I don't get the attitude of you non-smokers. Or worse, the attitude of a non-smoker who used to smoke (we all know the type). Generally they're absolute spastics about smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

How can you not even see how it's annoying to non smokers? You walk out of the door and get a face full of smoke. It is selfish, TBH to inflict your smoke on everyone else just because you don't want to stand further away from the doors. It's your problem if you want to smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to get in and out of the building without getting a cloud of smoke in their face. People have every right to complain, IMO, while they are being forced to breathe in your smoke. I have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Why can't I then stand right next to the door with a water pistol and spray it in your face? You're inflicting your smoke on me, so why can't I inflict my water on you? You wouldn't be annoyed then if I did that, since we all apparently have the right to do whatever we want, without any thought to anyone else? And at least a bit of water won't give you a headache or bring on an asthma attack or make your clothes stink. I can't fathom how anyone can't see how selfish it is to bother other people when it is easy enough not to. I have friends who smoke, my dad smokes and they're all considerate and do it outside, well away from the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hahahaha. This thread makes me laugh. Brings back memories.

Was at a wedding once. There was this woman there who didnt know many people except for the Bride and Groom. So she latched onto our gang. No worries there. Anyways, we went out for a smoke, she knew where we were going. We lit up and next thing she is complaining that everyone is smoking outside and it is blowing on her!!! Ahahahaha.

Well, we promptly rang Evlyn O Rourke down the Met office to see what way the wind would blow next.

She wasnt long getting the boot.

My point is, there are somethings out of a smokers control. We cant predict the wind or when someone is walking past us. We are legally allowed to smoke outside, so tough t*tty.

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Ahem, last time I checked 5 ft is a 1m1/2

You would really have to see where this smoking area is, Dont know why Honest Clean living Stalwarts of society would use this door...

I wonder if the moon was chosen, would we then have to walk around to the dark side of it
    IzzyWizzy wrote:
    Why can't I then stand right next to the door with a water pistol and spray it in your face? You're inflicting your smoke on me, so why can't I inflict my water on you? You wouldn't be annoyed then if I did that, since we all apparently have the right to do whatever we want, without any thought to anyone else? And at least a bit of water won't give you a headache or bring on an asthma attack or make your clothes stink. I can't fathom how anyone can't see how selfish it is to bother other people when it is easy enough not to. I have friends who smoke, my dad smokes and they're all considerate and do it outside, well away from the house.

I get wet enough when it rains during a smoing break...

But if its water pistols you want , Im all for you right to have a designated area, More power to you, ill just use a different door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

It can be annoying when you're trying to enter or leave a place and there are throngs of people puffing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was in New York/Chicago this summer and I noticed a lot of the entrances to buildings had signs stating it was forbidden to smoke within so many feet of the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Budd wrote:
    It can be annoying when you're trying to enter or leave a place and there are throngs of people puffing away.

I'm a smoker, I can see your point. But there's a difference between being confronted with a physical cloud of smoke, which would clearly be offensive/unhealthy, and a mere smell of smoke which has been dissipated by the wind. I can't get why people get all hot and bothered about the latter...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    How can you not even see how it's annoying to non smokers? You walk out of the door and get a face full of smoke. It is selfish, TBH to inflict your smoke on everyone else just because you don't want to stand further away from the doors. It's your problem if you want to smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to get in and out of the building without getting a cloud of smoke in their face. People have every right to complain, IMO, while they are being forced to breathe in your smoke. I have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Well said

IzzyWizzy wrote:

Wow, talk about whinging.

Do you whinge as much when you're walking along a road and you get a face full of car exhaust fumes? Or do you think car drivers should be made drive somewhere theres no chance they can inflict their fumes in others faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yes. That is enforced where I work - 1 1/2 meters from the door. And smokers do do this (if anyone didnt, they would be shoo'ed away - "shooo evil smoker shooo". The non-smokers still complain though.

We just cant win. Smokers will always be seen as evil people out to pollute other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

[AH response]
    Employers should not put smoking zones near a door tbh. I remember when I worked in London, I'd get off the train in Liverpool Street and as soon as I hit the street, hundreds of smoke-starved addicts would light up and the stench of the foul odour and cancer in the air was terrible* :D

The contents of a garlic smell does not cause cancer, the contents of a cigarette smell do. End of story really. At the end of the day the employer should force you to move elsewhere with your dirty seedy habit ;) but since they are not forcing you I would consider it mannerly and courteous if smokers didn't hang around doors that non-smokers have to pass through.

Perhaps there should be nice shiny, bright entrances for non-smokers and low-lit, dirty entrance orifices at the back of buildings for smokers :D
    [/AH response]

[real response]
    Seriously, just because you're outdoors and the wind is blowing in a certain direction does not mean the smoke is not carried back towards someone else, wind does not just travel in one direction only, it swirls and rolls back on itself etc. as well, so it could well blow in someones face. It really would be corteous to consider others rather than smoke near doorways.
    [/real response]
    *I don't like smoking (as if you can't tell) but I'm only joking, no need for anger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?
    ConnecticutKyle.jpg
    Thee aiiir is so dryy up heeere

r3nu4l wrote:
    Seriously, just because you're outdoors and the wind is blowing in a certain direction does not mean the smoke is not carried back towards someone else, wind does not just travel in one direction only, it swirls and rolls back on itself etc. as well, so it could well blow in someones face. It really would be corteous to consider others rather than smoke near doorways.
    [/SIZE]

I really would like to see some hard facts that prove outdoor 'passive' smoking is harmfull to others, and when I say passive I mean a stranger that walks by you...

Honestly I dont know, but would accept proof...

I just think that people believe what they comfortable believing in, or just lazy to find out.

And

intolerance is worse than passive smoking ( I know this can be twisted back on me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

She should have added please don't come and stand at my desk for any reason when you come back in. More than likely, a rotten smell will cling to you that will make me want to puke. I don't come in stinking of sh*t or B.O so don't stand over my desk when you smell like a rancid ashtray. In a nice way, of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

delop wrote:
    I know there is another tread going but.....

Something that happened the other day that shocked me...

Was having a smoke with a mate outside the back door of work one morning, Its a designated area for it.

Wind blowing a hooley, about to Rain..

another employee gets out of her car and approaches the Door ( We are about 1.5m from it.

and said 'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    I said Ya we do..
    She replied ' Well its not very nice for us non smokers'

Now I dont think Passive smoking could be an issue here with the wind... If im offended by something i stay away from it.

Or is it just a case of, If you give someone a stick they are going to beat something with it...

What do people think?

as a smoker i think smoking in or just outside doorways should be banned aswell, you should have asked if you could sit in her car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

delop wrote:
    I really would like to see some hard facts that prove outdoor 'passive' smoking is harmfull to others, and when I say passive I mean a stranger that walks by you...

Honestly I dont know, but would accept proof...

I just think that people believe what they comfortable believing in, or just lazy to find out.

And

intolerance is worse than passive smoking ( I know this can be twisted back on me)

Passive smoking is passive smoking, once the noxious chemicals are inhaled, they are in your system. End of story. The effects of passive smoking as with regular smoking is the build up over time so passively smoking outdoors is the same as indoors although if you are outdoors you will hopefully inhale less.

Build up of toxins and carcinogens in the body causes triggers within cells that lead to mutations in DNA replication, resulting in uncontrolled cell differentiation through switching off a process known as apoptosis (programmed cell death). The more of these toxins you inhale, indoors or outdoors, the greater risk of this occuring, especially in those whose genetic make-up makes them more susceptible to these types of cancers.

Intolerance is worse than smoking in the sense of being 'ignorant' but intolerance does not cause cancer! I personally have no problem with smokers smoking anywhere the law says they can...so long as it doesn't affect me!

e.g. I have no problem with someone getting hammered drunk going home quietly, I do have a problem when they run up and down the street shouting and screaming like madmen at 4 in the morning... because it affects me!

I have no problem with someone smoking in the street, I do have a problem when I start to inhale their residue! If I can move away from them I do...but if I'm forced to pass through their smoke because I have to get in the door they are crowded around then that it them being ignorant, not me.

Proof
    personal nicotine badge monitors, the overall median 7-day nicotine concentration was 0.03 microg/m(3) (25th-75th interquartile range 0-3.69 microg/m(3)). Measured nicotine concentrations were highest among persons who reported home exposure (median 0.61 microg/m(3)), followed by work exposure (0.03 microg/m(3)), other (outdoor) exposure (0.025 microg/m(3)), and no exposure (0 microg/m(3); p = 0.03).

Now as you can see, outdoor exposure is small...but present...therefore people are inhaling your smoke onthe street and getting it into their lungs to add to the build up and contribute to the triggering of mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Isnt there a required distance you have to be from a building when smoking?
    I know the college has a red line 10 feet from the main door which all smokers have to be accross to smoke. Even though they still smoke beside the main door thats not the point im trying to make :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

stovelid wrote:
    I don't come in stinking of sh*t or B.O so don't stand over my desk when you smell like a rancid ashtray.

And if you did, the other person probably wouldn't say anything to your face.
    People seem to find it very easy to give out to smokers for some reason.
    IzzyWizzy wrote:

How can you not even see how it's annoying to smokers? You walk out of the door because you've been outcast from the building. It is selfish, TBH to moan further when we are outside, just because you don't want to smell, for one second, the horror of smoke. It's your problem if you don't like smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to enjoy something they legally can.
    People have every right to smoke, IMO, while they are being forced to listen to your whinging. I have no jacket and get a runny nose for about a week if i have to stand outside in the rain, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from me and not get your face in the way of my smoke?
    Stop whining, you got us out of buildings now you want a restraining order put on us? Learn to compromise
    oRlyYaRly wrote:
    'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    'Oh, does it bother you?'
    'Yeah, it's not really nice for us non-smokers, is it?'
    'Never realised' *walks a few feet away from the door*
    'Thanks a bunch'
    'No problem'
    'Well see ya anyway'
    'Bye'

And lo, all is well.

'Morning, lads'
    'Morning, lady'

And lo, all is well.

On a side note, I heard a funny smoking story. (not sure if it's true)
    Apparently Michael Jordan was at the most recent Ryder Cup smoking a cigar, a security person or something came up to him and said he had to put it out, to which he replied, 'Nah it's alright I'll just pay the fine'.

If you don't like people smoking outside your front door at work/college/etc then campaign to have smoking sheds erected. We're being made stand out in the cold, the rain, the snow etc. as it is, doorways provide some form of shelter from the wind/rain/etc.
    Or perhaps a group of you non-smokers can get together and build a little shed for the smokers. That would be nice of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

15 meters from the nearest door, was what it was in the last place I worked. But at that 15 meter line they put up a little smoking shed thing.

Advertisement