Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers getting a rough ride?

Options
  • 29-11-2006 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

So the price of smokes is more than likely gonna go up again and also they're banning boxes of 10 smokes........I think us smokers are getting screwed because parents/government can't control the kids these days and stop them from smoking :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Muck This

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just to warn you, expect all sorts of "you ****ing deserve it you smoking scum" and "I hope you ****ing die" from all the anti smoking nazi's about the place. It always happens, the thread breaks down into a big argument and eventually will get locked, my money is Ruu having to sort it out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

So the price of smokes is more than likely gonna go up again and also they're banning boxes of 10 smokes........I think us smokers are getting screwed because parents/government can't control the kids these days and stop them from smoking :rolleyes:

Delighted to hear this, hopefully they'll double the price of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see the problem with either of those measures. Why would you against banning boxes of 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

I agree with you even though i'm not a smoker. It's unfair to penalise people because more and more kids are smoking. The problem is the culture we live in today. I remember they increased the price of cigerettes fairly drastically a few years ago to try and curb the same problem and look what it did... Nothing! I imagine the result will be the same now. Kids have more money than ever before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I am unapologetically anti-smoking and would welcome a move like this by the government. I think the banning of boxes of 10 is long over due and the price of 20 should at the very least be doubled.
    There is nothing good about smoking, its a nasty habit that kills and if these are the steps that have to be taken to make more people stop well then let them be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

what about those of us that only smoke ten a day ...going to have to buy twentys now and end up smoking more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll kick this off now....

Hope you f**king die you smoking s#*mbag :D

Only joking;) , i think people should be let smoke if its not causing any harm to others. Everyone to there own.

But the government might argue that they are putting up the price of a pack of 20 to cover the increasing health care they have to provide to smoking related ailments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

There is nothing good about smoking
    Yeah there is. Its enjoyable. I smoked for years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nothing like smoking a cuban over an hour or two on the porch on a summer eve.

Have at it Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Can't see the problem with either of those measures. Why would you against banning boxes of 10?

IMO any kid who can afford a 10 pack can also afford a 20 pack. Many people use the 10 packs to try and curb what they smoke, so I reckon that all this will serve to do is actually increase how much some people are smoking by making them buy 20 packs.

Anyone who ever brought back millions of ciggies from holidays knows well that if they are there, you will smoke more.

apparently 92% of ciggie purchases are made wihtout any ID being asked for. If they want to tackle something, they should try clamping down on that for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dragan wrote:
    Just to warn you, expect all sorts of "you ****ing deserve it you smoking scum" and "I hope you ****ing die" from all the anti smoking nazi's about the place. It always happens, the thread breaks down into a big argument and eventually will get locked, my money is Ruu having to sort it out. :)

Let people say what they want it doesn't bother me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sure, kids, THAT'S why they're raising the price :rolleyes:

Personally i wouldn't care because i always get 20 boxes, but i can see how it might be difficult for some people, either way banning them isn't going to prevent anything

kizzyr wrote:
    I am unapologetically anti-smoking and would welcome a move like this by the government. I think the banning of boxes of 10 is long over due and the price of 20 should at the very least be doubled.
    There is nothing good about smoking, its a nasty habit that kills and if these are the steps that have to be taken to make more people stop well then let them be taken.

:rolleyes: why so the government can get more of our money?

everyone knows how bad smoking is but we still do it and 99% of us will still do it when the price goes up

CiaranC wrote:
    Yeah there is. Its enjoyable. I smoked for years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nothing like smoking a cuban over an hour or two on the porch on a summer eve.

Have at it Nazis.
    I'm not a Nazi about it, if you chose to "enjoy" your addiction then that is your perogative. However you will in the long run through your "enjoyable" actions end up costing those who don't smoke a lot more through health care etc. I really think they should be hugely expensive and if they cost enough it will stop people starting in the first place and maybe just maybe make those who are still smoking stop and think about what else they could be spending their money on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

QuinnyKid wrote:
    what about those of us that only smoke ten a day ...going to have to buy twentys now and end up smoking more....

You could just smoke ten today and the other ten tomorrow... :confused: :rolleyes:

To the people like Kizzyr I would simple say that it's free choice. Just because you don't want to do something yourself does not mean you can force others not to do it. Whatever way you want to look at it smoking is legal in this country, as is drinking. So people are entitled to do both, either as much or as little as they like.

I would simply suggest you get on with your own lives and if you are so interested in health then remove all hydrogenated fats from diet, get your veg in and do your excercises.

Leave people to do what they want to do within the realms of the law.

kizzyr wrote:
    I'm not a Nazi about it, if you chose to "enjoy" your addiction then that is your perogative. However you will in the long run through your "enjoyable" actions end up costing those who don't smoke a lot more through health care etc. I really think they should be hugely expensive and if they cost enough it will stop people starting in the first place and maybe just maybe make those who are still smoking stop and think about what else they could be spending their money on.

If the government were so worried about us they would ban smokes altogether! All they want is more money, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

QuinnyKid wrote:

You have them so you have to smoke them? ... Just like Fatties and their cakes.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:

you can buy a 20 pack of cakes? :eek: where?

I agree with what you're saying, if i have only a couple smokes on me and i've no chance to buy anymore i can make them last ages, but if i've a full 20 box in front of me i'll light up whenever i feel like it, about every half hour if i'm bored :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I agree with anti smoking measures. I know that it is a lot easier to avoid being with someone when they are smoking now but passive smoke is still a problem in some places. I worry about the health of smokers, it is not good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

6th wrote:
    Well yeah, its an addiction...

Dragan wrote:
    To the people like Kizzyr I would simple say that it's free choice. Just because you don't want to do something yourself does not mean you can force others not to do it. Whatever way you want to look at it smoking is legal in this country, as is drinking. So people are entitled to do both, either as much or as little as they like.

I would simply suggest you get on with your own lives and if you are so interested in health then remove all hydrogenated fats from diet, get your veg in and do your excercises.

Leave people to do what they want to do within the realms of the law.[/
    QUOTE]
    To be fair (to me:) ) I do. If you want to smoke and suffer all of the horrible horrible things that go with it then you do that. I'm not someone who goes around preaching at people about their smoking most of those who smoke are intellient enough to know that they are slowly killing themselves by doing it. BTW I do eat my veg and get my exercises in regularly. ;)

kizzyr wrote:

Oh come on there fella, the two biggest earners for the government coffers are taxes on booze and smokes!!! The simply fact is that without them our economy would be a pretty pale shade of what it is now.

I would also like to point out that in this unfortunate world people who do not smoke or drink also need health care for various reasons, so the whole "you smoke means I pay for health care" should really be applied to them too. Only it would be "you got sick and I pay for your health care"…..but if you can say that then your really just a plank!!!! I imagine the taxes paid by a lifetime smoker on the ciggarettes he/she buys more than cover the cost of his health care?

The simple fact is you pay your taxes and they go where they go. I don't drive, nor have I ever owned a car, and yet many of the euros I pay in my tax have built the M50. I have no kids, and yet many of the euros I pay into the government coffers go to single parents and on child benefits.

It just the way of it, you work in this country and your taxes go where they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You know, I might quit if they raise the tax again. Not because they'd be costing me more, purely because I don't think I could bear watching the fvcktards waste any more of my taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

as long as they maintain the ban on smoking in pubs then leave the poor smokers alone, the governmnet aren't interested in getting kids off cigarettes at all, if they were that worried they'd ban smoking altogether, but they won't because they love the money they get from doubling the price and taxing smokers to the point where a pack of 20 will cost a monthly mortgage repayment in a few years.it's all bullcrap, this is no way a nanny state move it's a thinly veiled money grabbing exercise, and as a non smoker i say as long as they're not blowing their smoke out on me leave them alone.

as long as they maintain the ban on smoking in pubs then leave the poor smokers alone, the governmnet aren't interested in getting kids off cigarettes at all, if they were that worried they'd ban smoking altogether, but they won't because they love the money they get from doubling the price and taxing smokers to the point where a pack of 20 will cost a monthly mortgage repayment in a few years.it's all bullcrap, this is no way a nanny state move it's a thinly veiled money grabbing exercise, and as a non smoker i say as long as they're not blowing their smoke out on me leave them alone.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I will admit to being very anti-smoking when I was 4, I kept on begging my dad to stop smoking and he did. My brother is finally going to give them up when I get over my current health scare which pleases me a lot as I do worry about him. I must admit that anti-smoking measures are good as well for getting rid of the smell of smoking which is very unpleasant.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    Oh come on there fella, the two biggest earners for the government coffers are taxes on booze and smokes!!! The simply fact is that without them our economy would be a pretty pale shade of what it is now.

I would also like to point out that in this unfortunate world people who do not smoke or drink also need health care for various reasons, so the whole "you smoke means I pay for health care" should really be applied to them too. Only it would be "you got sick and I pay for your health care"…..but if you can say that then your really just a plank!!!! I imagine the taxes paid by a lifetime smoker on the ciggarettes he/she buys more than cover the cost of his health care?

The simple fact is you pay your taxes and they go where they go. I don't drive, nor have I ever owned a car, and yet many of the euros I pay in my tax have built the M50. I have no kids, and yet many of the euros I pay into the government coffers go to single parents and on child benefits.

It just the way of it, you work in this country and your taxes go where they go.
    I'm fully aware that the tax from cigarettes brings in loads of money for the government, and I'm not saying that I as a non smoker am paying for your health care and yes taxes go into one pot and some benefit more than others from them. I think people have a responsibility to care for their bodies and look after their health as best they can and smoking, drinking to excess on a regular basis, over eating and the consequences of this puts additional strain on an already over stressed health service.
    When it comes down to it smoking is a personal choice for someone to do or not do, I think it makes people smell, their clothes, breath, stains fingers, ages people, the are spending their money stupidly and I find it disgusting.

Advertisement