Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

formatting new drive in chipped box with slayer for use in softmod box

Options
  • 29-11-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

ok, well got no answers to my last thread ->
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019786 so I take it that no one has either a)come across this, or b)knows what the hell I'm talking about! :) .

So I've been looking into alternatives to doing this, come up with a few different options I've listed below:

1. Use Slayers Disk to boot xbox with new drive attached and then format new drive with Slayer

: think I can get my hands on a chipped box for a lend so this would be my first choice

2. Use older method to clone existing softmodded drive to new drive as outlined in http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=106123&hl=

: is this tutorial though old still relevant/accurate? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for here?
    also, is it sufficient to simply clone your modded drive onto the new drive using a norton boot disk with no extra prepping of the new drive (i.e formatting etc)?

3. Hex replacement drive to fool HDD_driver into thinking it's an xbox drive and then restore a backup image made from the original modded drive onto it as outlined here -> http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/no-modchip-hdd-swap.php .

: not too keen on the idea of messing around with the drive clusters through a hex editor though it sounds straight forward enough.

Ok, so as I said thinking of going with the Slayer option. Just read through the Slayer Installer manual. So from what I understand all I need to do is the following under Configuration A:

Summary of steps 1 -7

1. Put new harddrive in chipped xbox
    4. Select Option 3A) New Install on v1.x Large HD - *C* 5960.

The next steps are the optional locking of the hard drive but I wouldn't want to do it here as it would lock with the current xbox's eeprom yes?

So I'm wondering if at this stage I could take out the hdd and hook it up to my pc, and then just lock it using the xboxhdm image I made last week with my boxes eeprom (this option in xboxhdm seems to work on my pc). Would this be ok or am I missing something?
    A few people have mentioned I'd have to use Config Magic to edit the eeproms and hdd keys, any ideas what's that about?

Any help appreciated as always

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

you cant install a new hd into a softmod xbox without locking it.

just use the xboxhdm, its very easy and a lot faster then what your planning to do.

Advertisement