Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error formatting new drive using xboxhdm1.9

Options
  • 23-11-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, started a hard drive ungrade with 2 new hard drives which were delivered this morning and have been trying all day to get this to work. The hard drives I bought are both 320GB Barracuda's model number ST3320620A . Checked it on the compatability chart so I know it should work ok. http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?PHPSESSID=9eb...amp;v_postedby=

Ok firstly created image with C & E drives from existing softmodded box as well as eeprom using Krayzies Ndure Installer 1.1 plus upgrade 1.1.1 in normal folders under Linux.

Connected one of the drives to primary master (tried with jumpers set to cable select as well as Master).

Disabled/Enabled Smart Monitoring in bios on Primary IDE. (doesn't appear to make a difference as autodetect still happens. Best way around this I found was only connecting power source to hdd after xboxhdm screen comes up to prevent frozen drive).

So boot up off the xboxhdm linux image and go through first few steps. ie, hit enter for default VGA console,type xboxhd.

Type yes at next prompt and then select 1 (build a new hard drive from scratch).

Partitioning starts, then a message appears stating harddrive over 8gb, do I wish to creat an F partition?
    I've typed both yes or no here.

A few seconds later the same error comes up everytime

"Activating the fatx partition...[error]. Try to reboot and reenter
    this tool."

I've looked all over the place for reasons for this, and possible fixes. The only one apart from dodgy drives was that you just go ahead and lock your hard drive and create the F partition through your xbox.
    As the C & E drives had not yet been created though didn't see the point in this. As to the dodgy drive theory they're both brand new drives, both have the same error and from the compatibility chart they should work.

The only solutions I've seen to this is to use another pc to format, something in the mobo maybe that doesn't like xboxhdm? Using an AV8 Deluxe by the way.
    Anyway don't have another pc to try it in so that's out. If anyone has any ideas as to why the hell this keeps happening I'd love to know, been at this 8 hours solid and completely head wrecked at this stage! :(

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

did u burn a cd with ur backed up xbox c and d drives and eproms using xbobhdm??

if u did just connect the new hard drive to ur pc and change ur both method to cd rom and follow the on screen instructions. just remember to lock ur hd before disconecting!!!

if u cant partition an f drive just use config magic from programs on ur xbox, should do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

hi Craze7, yeah tried a few different options, i.e burning an image with C: & E:, with only original MS Dash, slow burn speeds etc, each time including the eeprom.bin in the correct location. Same result everytime. Also tried both yes & no for the F partition option with xboxhdm but no joy. managed to get a lend of another pc, so currently trying that. At least I don't have a frozen drive with this one when I boot up, however xboxhdm is having problems seeing it on /dev/hda even though it does display the drive name on bootup. checked the drives status with atapwd and it says the drive is neither locked nor frozen.
    Anyway didn't have time to look into it much over the weekend, didn't help that my internet connection was out all day yesterday (cheers Clicksilver :rolleyes: ) .
    Going to have another look at it tonight and see if I missed anything.

ok, finally got the whole thing working, it was as I suspected my own machine which was the problem all along. The images I burnt worked without a hitch on the new machine once I figured out where I'd gone wrong.
    Must have been really tired not to spot this on Friday night :o , just worked on the assumption that ide channels were from left to right, i.e. left channel primary and right channel secondary like on my own machine.
    Not the case with the mobo on the new machine, obvious thing to try but hey what can I say, think I was too tired and going from the amount of pointless troubleshooting on my own machine with no success (about 20 hours give or take), don't think I had the heart to spend another weekend at it!
    Didn't help that there are no markings on the channels, but a quick look on the bios with fresh eyes and saw it straight away.
    Anyway finally got a successful harddrive upgrade, formatted using Krayzies extras and got me a whole 302GB to play around with!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

nice one man, how much did the hard drive cost ye????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

i was going to tell you to make sure you had the hd in the master poisition and that the bios reconised it as the master but you did it so well done

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, picked up 2 320Gb barracudas off overclockers.co.uk for €225 including delivery. So far so good, very quiet drives as well!

About the master position, do you mean jumpers or ide master? Tried all manner of configurations but no joy on my machine. couldn't even disable autodetect in the bios so had to do a sort of hotswap to prevent the drive freezing on bootup!!
    Just wasn't meant to be on my machine I think. Ironic really as I've got a self built really high spec machine, no joy. Do it on a crappy 512MB ram Celeron chip machine no problems!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

DamoKen wrote:
    Cheers guys, picked up 2 320Gb barracudas off overclockers.co.uk for €225 including delivery. So far so good, very quiet drives as well!

About the master position, do you mean jumpers or ide master? Tried all manner of configurations but no joy on my machine. couldn't even disable autodetect in the bios so had to do a sort of hotswap to prevent the drive freezing on bootup!!
    Just wasn't meant to be on my machine I think. Ironic really as I've got a self built really high spec machine, no joy. Do it on a crappy 512MB ram Celeron chip machine no problems!!! :rolleyes:
    both

Advertisement