Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to kill insects?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I just squashed a bumble bee, and now I'm thinking maybe I don't have the right to do something like that.

As in, a life, which could see and experience the world, has just been killed because of me.

I know "it's just an insect" but on a more higher level, we shouldn't be doing that, should we??

I feel a bit guilty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It was either you or him, you had no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I just squashed a bumble bee, and now I'm thinking maybe I don't have the right to do something like that.

As in, a life, which could see and experience the world, has just been killed because of me.

I know "it's just an insect" but on a more higher level, we shouldn't be doing that, should we??

I feel a bit guilty.

You're going to hell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I avoid killing anything that I can possibly avoid killing. I'm quite careful with insects. Some people think it is wrong, some not. Ie vegetarians vs omnivores.
    I am in the thinking it is wrong group. It's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Buddhism....it's the only way to redem yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Is it wrong to draw my dogs attention to them and then watch the horrorshow begin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the way i see it, if you can avoid killing it (catching a spider in a jar and letting it out the window) you should do so....but if you are in a beach hut in a tropical country and there is a mosquito in there with you, that sucker is going down.

kids killing insects for fun always disturbed me, i never understood why anyone would enjoy inflicting unnecessary suffering on anything - ie burning ants or pulling the wings off flies. always has and always will seem totally sick and twisted to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I'm in the "its wrong" group as well. I would open a window to let them out or pick them up and kick them out the door etc.

Head to the nearest cop shop, confession in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

WHY??????? Oh the inhumanity!!!!! :eek: R.I.P. little bee .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I avoid killing anything that I can possibly avoid killing. I'm quite careful with insects. Some people think it is wrong, some not. Ie vegetarians vs omnivores.
    I am in the thinking it is wrong group. It's up to you.
    I agree, though I do eat meat I avoid killing anything where possible.

Most insects aren't hard to trap with a jar or glass, and those that fly (bees/wasps/etc) are quite easily ushered out of the nearest window, or just open the windows and leave the room with the door closed behind you for a while.

The only time I've killed a bee/wasp/etc is when its been aggressive and doesn't seem to want to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I wouldn't kill a bee as they give Honey something I enjoy on Toast in the morning. However it was a wasp that f*c*er would be going down pronto. I am a nervous wreck in the summer and when a wasp comes a buzzing I goes a running. Bloody heck I do hate wasps. I kill wasps and houseflys, I got a fly swatter this year and they are great for filling them much better than the traditional wet cloth or tea towel.

Killing Flys & wasps FTW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Do they sell huge human swatter things? Anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shame on you Aoife, go stand in the corner for a while. You monster, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What on earth is a bumble bee doing flying round in November anyway?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I guess we can never ask it now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well if it is wrong to kill insects then we are probably all going to hell. Just think of how many we've probably squashed or walked on without ever knowing it. Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

"If a fly ever got the chance, he would kill you and everyone you ever cared about"

A modified quote from the Simpsons which I think sums it all up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Well if it is wrong to kill insects then we are probably all going to hell. Just think of how many we've probably squashed or walked on without ever knowing it. Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye :p

I may never go outside again.

At an even higher level, what about all the germs we kill with all the disinfectants and stuff that we use?

I sense a sleepless night ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I'd be of the opinion it'd be wrong. I try to hold the value of all animals equally, wether its a bee or a human. Thats not the say I haven't killed bees on ocassion, but that was when they started it, i.e stung me or kept buzzing at me. Same would go for a human, I wouldn't go out of my way to kill one just because it was annoying me but if it attacked me I wouldn't really give it a second thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bug approaching you = kill.

Bug standing still or moving away from you = allow to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"If you are a spider, you don't want to sit down beside her!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's ok to kill them for food but otherwise no - that's bad árse karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just after obtaining exclusive footage, don't ask how. Not for the faint at heart! Pure evil, celebrating her latest kill. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its wrong to kill anything, we don't have any need to kill or excuse, especially it the insect didn't do anything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Crawl's Theory of Justice ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Id (try) kill a wasp or fly if it came at me, but i wouldnt go stomping on bugs or anything, seems wrong, but i wouldnt be crying over it

Seems wrong, vague glimpse of empathy past.
    Human to do? Past forlorn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would consider it OK to kill a wasp if I could not get it out the window and would kill mosquitos but apart from that I consider it wrong. I remember getting very upset after accidentally killing an earthworm. There was one exception, we were trying to save a nestling that had been abandoned by its mother, we tried to feed it but it died.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont like wasps but besides them I would be in the same group as those that say "avoid if you can".

I was going to start a thread recently called "That thing you do", askin if people did things others might think weird. My one would fit in here because if I am walking around the area I live and saq a worm on the path I would pick it up and put it in the grass. I have also given water to worms that appear to be drying out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

6th wrote:
    I was going to start a thread recently called "That thing you do", askin if people did things others might think weird. My one would fit in here because if I am walking around the area I live and saq a worm on the path I would pick it up and put it in the grass. I have also given water to worms that appear to be drying out.
    I do that, it is not wierd, just kind, I do the same with snails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

KILL KILL KILL!!!

The only reason I'd hesitate before killing an insect would be the horrible mess it could potentially create.

I'm not gonna have double standards. I don't consider animals and humans equal. I eat meat. If it's more convenient for me to kill an insect then I will.

Advertisement