Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another child savaged by dog

Options
  • 22-11-2006 5:05pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1241655,00.html

This is about the fourth attack of its kind in recent months, what's going on? Have dogs suddenly started going mad or what? I don't remember there ever being this many dog attacks in such a short space of time, I know they've mostly been in England but should these dogs (rothweilers, bulldogs, Dobermans etc) be banned as pets? I know I wouldn't have one as a pet for all the money in the world if I had a child.. No matter how placid the dog seemed or well treated it was.. I just don't trust them :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Rumour has it that they're plotting something, probably to take over the world or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Daddio wrote:
    Rumour has it that they're plotting something, probably to take over the world or something.

LOL.. :D

smart*ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Less of the smartarsh comments please, don't want to get anyone all hot and bothered here.

That news story doesn't tell a whole lot. Those particular breeds that you have mentioned should always be supervised when around children. Dobermans have a reputation of being aggressive, although that is not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Daddio wrote:
    That's exactly what the cats want you to think :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Daddio wrote:

Thats a bit of a shítty response seeing as a child has been seriously hurt and undoubtably she will be left scarred (physically and mentally) for life.

I dont care that this is AH where anything goes, out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's always been attacks in England, Poland and the like. People have big fecking dogs that they can't control or just don't care about.
    I get a feeling it has increased with gangstas getting pitbulls etc.

Unsurprising it's children that get the worst bitten, they're small and can't fight back.

There should be a ban on fighting breeds in Ireland, unless you're a K9 unit or the like. Why would someone want a pitbull, other than intimidation?

Maybe I should go find pictures of similar attacks for you guys to have a laugh at?

Girl, 3, mauled by dog in garden
    A three-year-old girl has been airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after being attacked by a dog.

A police spokesman said the incident happened in the garden of a house on Church Road, in the village of Claverdon, in Warwickshire.

The Doberman dog, which was owned by a family member, has since been destroyed, police said.

The girl received head, neck and throat injuries, which are not thought to be life-threatening.

A spokesman for Coventry Air Ambulance told BBC News that paramedics had to sedate the girl before she was airlifted to Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham.

"She was taken to the A&E department and it is thought she may need plastic surgery, but it is not clear at the moment as we just stabilise and get them to hospital as soon as possible," he said.

From BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The joke was about the post, not about the child :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Daddio wrote:

Ha :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Id say its a world takeover thing too.

Or maybe theres more media to report this crap now than there used to be.

Either one.

6th wrote:
    Maybe I should go find pictures of similar attacks for you guys to have a laugh at?

I don't think anyone's laughing at the thought of a child being mauled by a dog (at least I hope not) I think someone was just taking the p1ss over the way I worded my thread thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

6th wrote:
    Thats a bit of a shítty response seeing as a child has been seriously hurt and undoubtably she will be left scarred (physically and mentally) for life.

I dont care that this is AH where anything goes, out of order.

Are you honestly surprised that people are having a laugh on AH? It's been happening for years. Bit late getting shirty at it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

xzanti wrote:
    I don't think anyone's laughing at the thought of a child being mauled by a dog (at least I hope not) I think someone was just taking the p1ss over the way I worded my thread thats all...

Well said OP!

The thread is about a 3 year old getting attacked by a dog, I dont care how the Op worded it I'm sure the intention wasnt to have a laugh.

Fúck me getting shirty, its sick to think what some people will have a joke about.

Heres a story of a kid the same age as my own, they even look alike:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/5/newsid_2527000/2527393.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

oh shut up you silly person

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?

http://www.doganswers.com/bitepics.htm

Easy to tell who doesnt have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

"20 stone"
    Thats hardly right, not even my father weighs that much:rolleyes:

6th wrote:
    http://www.doganswers.com/bitepics.htm

Easy to tell who doesnt have kids.

We may not all have kids but no doubt we all have someone close to us, and most of us will have younger brothers and sisters, I have 3 nieces and 2nephews all under 5 and this sort of stuff gives me nightmares, I don't think it's fare to insinuate that only people with kids take this seriously..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ruu wrote:
    Less of the smartarsh comments please, don't want to get anyone all hot and bothered here.

That news story doesn't tell a whole lot. Those particular breeds that you have mentioned should always be supervised when around children. Dobermans have a reputation of being aggressive, although that is not always the case.

All and any dogs should be supervised around children, regardless of the breed. Even a little terrier can do horrific damage.

Equally all children should be supervised around dogs (you wouldn't believe what stupid ideas kids can come up with)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

CiaranC, don't bother posting again here.

peasant, agreed.
    Lets get this back on topic please. OP if you would since you started this, do you think the parents are to blame? Not much info as to where they were or how it happened.

Ruu wrote:
    CiaranC, don't bother posting again here.

Lets get this back on topic please. OP if you would since you started this, do you think the parents are to blame? Not much info as to where they were or how it happened.

Well if the child was 3 and left in the company of a Doberman without a muzzle then that was very stupid of them but like you said we have little info to go on as yet...

But my thread was really more to ask should they be banned as pets?

xzanti, my apologise. I didnt mean to suggest you didnt care, you posted a very worthwhile thread. Unfortunately some thought how you told it was more important than the content. Before I became a dad I cared about these things so it might appear I was being unfair.

On topic - My brother has 3 rothweillers and no kids. I have never been to my brothers house with my child and thats all fine. He knows my position and respects it.

Although I am fond of his dogs myself, I would like to see a ban on dogs of this type. Peasant is right though, all dogs are capable of doing damage and its a parents responsibility to make the right choices.

6th wrote:
    xzanti, my apologise. I didnt mean to suggest you didnt care, you posted a very worthwhile thread. Unfortunately some thought how you told it was more important than the content. Before I became a dad I cared about these things so it might appear I was being unfair.

On topic - My brother has 3 rothweillers and no kids. I have never been to my brothers house with my child and thats all fine. He knows my position and respects it.

Although I am fond of his dogs myself, I would like to see a ban on dogs of this type. Peasant is right though, all dogs are capable of doing damage and its a parents responsibility to make the right choices.

Apology accepted, you're dead right not to bring the baby to the house, my friend has a rottweiler (edited :rolleyes: ) pup and she's a sweet little thing but I still wouldn't turn my back for a minute where kids are concerned...

And re small dogs also being dangerous, I had a pomeranian when I was small and I have a very subtle but permanent reminder of him under my left eye from when I tried to dress him up and put him in a buggy when I was 4 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why do people say "rothweiler", it's rottweiler... just curious...

anyway it's fine having the dogs around I think as long as they're properly trained, possibly by professionals
    but still not unsupervised or even around children!!

I know that some people think that their dogs are placid and well trained but the fact is they can snap through no fault of the owner.

btw I'm not anti-dog at all. I've had pets all my life and currently have a cat. cats can be dodgy too, especially around new borns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

When will people ever learn that you shouldnt let kids near dogs unsupervised?? Any dog is capable of attacking a child. Also when will people ever learn to keep their dogs on the lead or under control or locked in at all times?? Its not just children at risk. I cant fecking walk my perfectly civilised dogs around where I live on their leads without some dogs running out of gardens and accosting them. Its also great fun when I'm out on one of the race horses!!! I spoke to someone last week about their dogs always 'getting killed' on the road outside his house. When I politely suggested they build a dog run for the dogs or keep them indoors, he replied that that wouldnt be 'fair' to the dog... Hello! They've had about ten dogs killed over the last few years... what exactly is fair???

Bit of a rant there, but people need to bloody well cop on to themselves!

Properly trained is really all people can do if they decide to have a dog like that. But its never 100%.

Also I see so many dogs out without muzzles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

xzanti : I'd bite you too if I was that dog :P

I'm always on edge walking by pittbulls or Rottweilers, my friend has one and he is huge ! Yeah they can be trained (he sleeps in the same bed as a 1 year old Cocker spaniel) but I'd still be cautious around a "perfectly" trained dog.

I was scared to death when my cocker spaniel started barking and going for a Rottweiler when I was walking him, fortunatly for the dog and me he trotted on beside his owner (who was a few feet away) I don't even think it had a leash, definatly didn't have a muzzle.

Advertisement