Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlanta cops shoot innocent 92 year old woman dead

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

First a student gets tazered for being a little rebellious, then a 92 year old woman gets gunned down for legitimately trying to defend her home. American cops gun happy? Nah...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/22/woman.shot.ap/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

She hot three of them first! Serves her right imo...

"One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's mad. Totally nuts. Gun culture in America is just out of control..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well they probably scared her silly, kicking the door down. Hardly a need for that as mentioned in the story. Very trigger happy altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

yeah exactly she managed to hit three of them, who would expect the cops not to return fire??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

KamiKazi wrote:
    yeah exactly she managed to hit three of them, who would expect the cops not to return fire??

I could imagine the olde Irish cops dealing with it...

'We'll let her keep shooting at us until she runs out of bullets right, then we'll take her down gently. A good cuppa joe will sort the situation out. Seamus, will ya need an aul plaster for that?!'

She deserved it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

That has to be the most badly written report I've ever read. First of all it said the officers knocked, announced, and then broke in the door. Then in the next paragraph it says they were fired upon as they "approached" the house, which is it?
    Common sense also would have told police officers to wear uniforms while conducting unarranged callings to members of the public in their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm pretty sure they shout POLICE POLICE while kicking the door down.....

John

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Terrible report, not very clear at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

seamus wrote:
    First a student gets tazered for being a little rebellious
    From the video i saw of that tazering, the fvcker deserved it, pity he didnt get a few slaps of the batton into the puss too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lump wrote:
    I'm pretty sure they shout POLICE POLICE while kicking the door down.....

John
    I thought they had to "knock and announce", as well as demand to be let in before they entered forcefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everyone's getting their information from the Associated Press it would seem.

Initial reports (which I heard second-hand) said that plain clothes officers initially knocked on the door, and when there was no answer (understandable - an old woman isn't going to answer the door to some strangers claiming to be the police, but not in uniform), they stormed the house and she opened fire. Reports also suggested that she was hit by "up to fifty" bullets - but this was probably bystanders seeing/hearing semi-automatic weapons and jumping to conclusions.

It's more-or-less a symptom of what America has done to its citizens. They're so terrified, that they assume a caller must an assailant. If they're going to bring heavily-armed ARUs to a raid, the least they can do is make sure they're calling to the correct house above all else. In most other western countries, the person would a) Probably have answered the door, and b) not had the will/means to open fire on the person who broke down their door.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm sure the cops would have been shouting that they were police, especially if they were in plain clothes. She certainly didn't seem to waste any time in firing off a few rounds. Just because she was a 92 year old woman doesn't mean she was innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The cops were the ones who got the address wrong, they started shouting and kicked in her front door. She was alone in her house at night. I cant blame her for firing a few shots - its obviously a bad neighbour hood she could have been broken into / robbed before!

Cops fault IMO, if your gonna break a door down at least make sure its the right door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Am the only person impressed by the old dears ability to clip three of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dragan wrote:
    ROFLicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Dragan wrote:

Who says the elderly are incapable of looking after themselves?
    Okay she lost in the end but only against overwhelming odds!

/joking aside. That is fairly tragic, as an old person, if people broke into my house shouting 'Police' I wouldn't just assume they were telling me the truth! My nan got done over before by a woman wearing a navy jumper and skirt and a habit on her head claiming to be a nun!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dragan wrote:

wonder what her grouping was like? :D
    so three cops got punctured and some poor old dear has shuffled off to her maker a bit early all because some halfwit f****d up their intel.

I once had to convince a gaggle of gardai that the local dealer didnt live in our place. They were a bit suspect when i told them that we'd only lived at the address for the last twenty years, as they had "information" that he was now at this address. The dealer actually lived next door and had been there for the last five years :rolleyes: i forgot to mention that though to the capped culchies though:o

So yeah, police intelligence..bit of an oxymoron at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

In fairness to the police they didn't know at the time that they had the wrong info... All they knew was that they were being shot at... what did you expect them to do?

She deserved it in my opinion.. "little old lady??"

And yes she was "innocent" of whatever the cops were raiding her house for but the cops shot a 92 year old woman who was after shooting three of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

tragic story, but you can't really blame the police. She shot at them three times, not a wise thing to do over here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Some americans are pretty crazy
    and too fond of the ol' guns

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Actually - she wasn't innocent. At least not once she started firing! Lets see, that's three counts of attempted murder of cops, depending on the state I think it's death or 25+ years to life. Course at that age she'd barely have time to change into her orange jump suit before she shuffled off this mortal coil...

Also, what if it had been someone else who had to force the door? What if it had been paramedics checking to see was she ok after someone reported concerns for her?

Wouldn't like to sell cookies in her neighborhood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Except its not murder when an armed individual breaks into your home in most US states.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The second she fired the weapon she was a threat, the second she shot a cop she was viable to be shot at to stop her hurting anyone else.

Age shouldn't even come into it. People don't become all innocent when they get older.

Some examples:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/fogeys2/fogeys2.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Americans.....
    Is it true that all 300 million US Americans are identical in their behavior, attitudes, religion, culture, race, heritage, education, social & economic status, gender, generational orientation, and notions of fair play? That all would agree with the way this old woman was treated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Is it true that all 300 million US Americans are identical in their behavior, attitudes, religion, culture, race, heritage, education, social & economic status, gender, generational orientation, and notions of fair play?

Yes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Is it true that all 300 million US Americans are identical in their behavior, attitudes, religion, culture, race, heritage, education, social & economic status, gender, generational orientation, and notions of fair play? That all would agree with the way this old woman was treated?
    Well, obviously not all, just most. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

I think its awful for both the old woman and the police. Maybe she was deaf and didn't hear them shouting. Maybe she just saw men bursting in the door waving guns and she defended herself. MAYBE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

CiaranC wrote:
    Except its not murder when an armed individual breaks into your home in most US states.

But nobody broke into her home.... the police are allowed to enter a property if they believe a crime is being committed under law of trespass... Obviously they thought there was something going on when they were raiding the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

markk06 wrote:
    But nobody broke into her home.... the police are allowed to enter a property if they believe a crime is being committed under law of trespass... Obviously they thought there was something going on when they were raiding the house

Yeah and they got the wrong house, it happens..... alot.

Advertisement