Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Nation of over achievers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah Ireland's great. Tea for everyone :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Being Irish (or any nationality) is not something to be proud of.

I'd say you're a laugh to be around on paddy's day... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Savman wrote:
    Ah Ireland's great. Tea for everyone :D:D:D

Will ya have a cup of tea, Father?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dyflin wrote:
    I'd say you're a laugh to be around on paddy's day... :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm usually locked in a field. Nothing to do with pride for the country, just a little drinking problem I have. :)

Ruu wrote:

"Ah no thanks Mrs Doyle. I have a kind of allergic reaction to tea. If I drink a cup of tea , there's a 70% chance I might die."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem with Irish infrastructure is they don't even bother to think ahead. They should have and probably did see this coming years ago and should have learned from the mistakes of other countries. We had a chance to set up an excellent transport investiture but instead we got the uncontrolled sprawl. One town near me has had a bypass put off year after year because they keep doing daft stuff like wanting to put 6 roundabouts and traffic lights all over the thing, they don't seem to understand the concept of a bypass atall.

There doesn't seem to be anyone planning ahead in Ireland. It's not just down to the speed of economic growth.

We have had money for a realitively shirt amount of time I suppose, this may be just a wild period to celibrate the fact we're not living in houses made from muck and hay anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ScumLord wrote:
    The problem with Irish infrastructure is they don't even bother to think ahead.

Actually Ireland ranks number 1 in how not to design urban sprawls. The EU are even using actual examples from Ireland of how not to do it.

Seriously, how hard is it to build more schools/hospitals when your increasing your population.

TBH I think we win on poets/writers. I can't see anything else. The only way you could think that we are the best country in the world is if you have never actually left the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Not too proud of being Irish, I just don't care about that stuff but one thing that can be found no where else in the world is the humour. Other countries think were all mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You can be proud of channelling your strengths and using them in a positive manner, of being a nice person and of the decisions you make.

Being Irish (or any nationality) is not something to be proud of.

I'm not saying it's ahuge part of my makeup or that it would spur me on to invade other countries or anything. But in my opinion it's nice to live in Ireland (on the whole) and i'm proud of the fact that we have channelled our strenghts as a nation in a positive manner to make the right decisions to improve our country.
    This essentially comes down to a nature vs. nuture debate. Did Ireland make you what you are today or was it already there and you just happened to be born in Ireland.

kevmy wrote:
    Did Ireland make you what you are today or was it already there and you just happened to be born in Ireland.

I don't know, but I don't feel like I owe anything to the country I happened to be born in. I don't necessarily have anything more in common with someone from Donegal or Kerry as I do with someone from Glasgow or Sydney.

You should be proud over things you have had control over, not things you were born into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jaysis this is depressing, it's your nationality ffs :mad:
    We've come a long way as a small nation to get where we are now only to be greeted by apathy? You don't have to "act oirish" but it's a part of your identity whether you like it or not, it amazes me how/why people are quick to put down their own countries (show me a country in the world without social problems...:rolleyes:)

We're not doing that badly.

Advertisement