Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 14 and need to lose weight

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Stick to 1-2 litres a day

eep i think i would dry up if i drank that little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

eep i think i would dry up if i drank that little!

Somedays I drink 5 or 6 pints of water, others, barely a single glass. Really should work on that. 2 litres a day is plenty though to be honest alongside your other liquids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You're worried about ruining your metabolism? Can you actually see the amount of sugar you're eating? Whatever people's feelings about carbohydrates vs fats, sugar is the worst thing you can add to your food. There is enough of it added to everything else you eat already, that INCLUDES the oil your junk was fried in.
    Regard sugar as a poison and you'll already be on your way to becoming healthier. It's the most important start. I can only imagine what the withdrawl symptoms will be like.

Good luck to you.

HavoK wrote:
    Somedays I drink 5 or 6 pints of water, others, barely a single glass. Really should work on that. 2 litres a day is plenty though to be honest alongside your other liquids.

Ah you see unless i'm drinking alcohol i only drink water so im not getting any other liquids..

chamlis wrote:
    Regard sugar as a poison

Obviosuly the OP has way too much sugar, but this is a bad way to think about food, moderation is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hey, no need to go off the sugar, cause it sure helps cereal taste better! you can buy fruit sugar (i think thats what it is) in health food shops. the type my mum got starts with an X or Z or something, but i know it's a little pricey. but one teaspoon of normal sugar = about 10 of them in all that badness. you should check it out!

also, try to stick with basic meals, ie, breakfast, a nice filling lunch, and a small dinner. starving yourself wont help.

i also hear eating alot of potatoes (ie, chips as well!) isnt a great idea cause they are just pure carbohydrate. you need to replace some of that with beans and pulses and vegetables and such.

and as someone else already mentioned - swimming is ment to be the best form of exercise.

but dont throw all the idea you hear into action straight away - it may throw you into shock! start making changes... and you'll notice the difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Recommend that you join a martial art with a real driver-driver instructor, followed up with a low carb diet, completely without these spoons of sugar. To just join a gym will not work, lacking the espirit de corp and incentives of MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

not to hijack the thread but where would one find these martial arts schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Best of luck with this ...

Three decent meals a day ...and force yourself to do something active. At 14 you will never have this much free time again to pursue active options.

Gyms are boring and not for 14 year olds. The martial arts aspect is great or anything like it. Sport , sport , sport even if your crap at them after time you get better.

Dont spend to much time on computers or video games either...

In short dont eat cr*p and exercise and you will be fine, you will have a greater choice of girlfriends , be able to do what you want without being knackered or covered in sweat which makes you smell and all.

Dont think about it , just do it you know what bad food is (comes out of a vat of boiling oil) just avoid it and sign up to anything active.

If all else fails get a really active dog (no toy dogs) if you can and walk it.

This is your life you only get one of them healthy or overweight its your choice.

Best of luck a lot of people spent a lot of time trying to give you a hand here. Im impressed
    However on the subject of this thread I wonder can any other the other posters answer this.

If you had to eat in a chinese what is the healthiest option. I mean you go where your friends do so if you are in a chinese whats lesser of the evils.

Actually I will re-thread this somewhere else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

not to hijack the thread but where would one find these martial arts schools?
    No problem. They have a very active forum under Sports called Self Defense and Martial Arts. Simply post your request for a location and any questions you may have and they will respond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I really feel for you! My sister is very overweight so I know how tough it can be! I am a qualified personal trainer so I will give you my professional opinion.

First: Go to your doctor and get checked out for things like and underactive thyroid and other conditions that can cause weight gain. Also get them to check you to make sure its safe for you to exercise.

2nd: If you can afford it, go to a gym and sign up for some personal training sessions. This will help so much because weight training is one of the best ways to increase your metabolism, and having a fitness instrctor working with you will help you to keep going!

If you can't afford it, but a couple of workout videos to do at home (you can get them from charity shops for just a few quid) and WALK! Walk everywhere you go, go on walks whether you need to get somewhere or not! Walking is one of the best fat burning exercises and low impact too, so you shouldn't get any injuries. Stretch thoroughly afterwards (if you don't know how, get your PE teacher to show you)

If your friends like going out for lunch at fattening places, tell them you're not eating that stuff any more and ask them to go somewhere else with you. If they won't, you'll just have to eat lunch on your own! Losing weight is more important for you than having company for lunch.

Food: Don't think of it as a diet, but a life change. Pick your favourite treat (a small chocolate bar, packet of crisps, whatever) and you can have one twice a week as a reward. The rest of the time, just use common sense to eat healthily (no fad diets!) Eat plenty of WHOLEGRAIN carbs, especially brown rice, porridge is good for breakfast. Eat lots of veg with every meal, and if you're hungry between meals, eat lots of druit, which will also satisfy sweet cravings. Eat planty of lean protein as well, like chicken, turkey, fish, lentils and beans. Once you start eating like this, the junk food craving will disappear in just a few weeks! Then you won't WANT to eat bad food any more!

2 important words of advice, 1: GOOD fats such as fish oil, burn body fat! If you don't like oily fish, get some fish oil supplements!

2: Eat REGULARLY! snack throughout the day on fruit, carrot sticks, nuts, seeds, etc between meals. Don't starve yourself, it lowers your metabolism.

Finally, have you thought of joining a diet club for support? maybe you can get a friend or family member to go along with you?

Good luck, and keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I was terrible at any kind of sport when I was a kid, always the last to be picked for any team etc. I was very embarrassed about the whole thing and avoided sports altogether.

In retrospect I think I missed out on a lot (in terms of making friends and socializing as well as keeping fit and healthy) and my advice would be to stick with the golf if you enjoy it. Or indeed any physical activity that you enjoy. Walking, cycling, jogging can also be enjoyable and don't have to be competitive.

I got interested in jogging/running when I was in my late twenties and really enjoyed it. As already posted by grasshopa there is a fitness/pain barrier but if you just stick to it you'll really start to enjoy it and in fact at your young age you body will be able to adapt/adjust much quicker. (When I started I only went jogging after dark so no one would see me :rolleyes: )
    In my experience getting fit and loosing weight are different sides of the same thing. Once you get to the stage where you begin to take some pride in your fitness achievements you will find it easier to control any food cravings you may have.

I also think you've gotten some excellent advice in this thread. Good luck with it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If you want to loose weight quickly, then I have the solution. Before, you have breakfast, go for a run. Even if its short, it will only be able to burn off stored fat, so you will tend to loose weight. Be sure to leave time for breakfast, and do not push too hard.

This is the one thing i am picking out amid all the fallacies in this thread. Sorry!!!

Running in the morning on an empty stomach will not somehow magically pick out fat stores to burn. To do so you would somehow need to use up all your stored glycogen while you slept, which will not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

running on an empty stomach is a bad idea, it burns muscle, which will lower her metabolism, and may cause faintness. Seriously, to the OP, try and join a diet club. They will give you lots of advice and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, I was fat when I was your age and through a few adjustments I quickly lost it and you'll thank yourself for whatever you put yourself through when you're happy about your shape in the future.

Adjusting your diet and regularly exercising at that age will make a vast difference to your future.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Wow, thanks guys!!

You gave me such good tips I don't know how to thank you enough!!

I've already started a diet, and its working out quite well (of course no results yet, its been 2 days). I don't feel myself hungry, but yet feel a lot better now that I am not eating as much junk food

Today, for lunch, I had a roll with chicken on it and sweet chilli sauce (OK maybe I shouldn't have got the sweet chilli sauce, but it would be a bit dry without it)

The hardest part of it is cutting down on the sugar, I'm taking it bit by bit (reducing maybe half a spoon per day). It doesn't taste as nice but I'm sure I will get used to it in the future

Thanks for the awesome tips guys! Didn't expect this much great advice!

Will try and do lots more exercise.

Thanks again!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

God you think your diet is bad OP! you eat nothing compared to me and im a normal weight, i aint really skinny or muscly:D but i aint fat.

Average day

Breaky: Rice Krispies, Porridge + Tea

Lunch: Toasted cheese + ham/ sausages in roll/ noodles + barachocolate + Crisps + Tea + (possibly can of fizzy) or diluted squash + orange

Drunch: A few bickys, TEA and/or milk, orange or apple

Dinner: Meal such as (chicken curry, lasagne, pasta+cheese, spaghetti bolgnaneese etc) + Bun or few bickies and TEA

Snack around 9ish - Bickys + Orange/Banana + Tea

Now im 5" 9/10' and am 10 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Dragan wrote:
    This is the one thing i am picking out amid all the fallacies in this thread. Sorry!!!

Running in the morning on an empty stomach will not somehow magically pick out fat stores to burn. To do so you would somehow need to use up all your stored glycogen while you slept, which will not happen.

FWIW Anytime I ever ran before eating anything for breakfast I found I got a bad headache later in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

About sports, take up something that everybody sucks at?

I took up Muay Thai two weeks ago, holy crap it hurts (in a good way).

Advertisement