Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.D. Questioned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would hate to be a doorman, thankless job tbh. Damned if you don't let someone in, damned if you do, typecast as a no-neck, brainless halfwit...no thanks!

Last time I was stopped by a doorman was three years ago...I was 28! I didn't actually realise he was talking to me so I walked straight past him and into the pub :) A friend told me afterwards that people in the queue were saying:

"Wow, your man is so cool, totally blanked him as if he wasn't there!":cool:

If only they'd known that had I realised the doorman was actually talking to me I would have apologised, shown him my ID and thanked him for stopping me and making me feel young again :D

A baby-faced friend of mine always gets stopped, every single time...but they never refuse his ID...An Garda Síochána. :D

Not all doormen are like that guy, before my friend was a Garda, he was trying to get into a 21st party of a friend of ours and he showed his USIT ID. The bouncer just looked at it and said 'thery're ten a penny'! We just said, 'yeah but this one is actually genuine, that's what makes it unusual!' He laughed and let my friend in after all (with a warning that if there was any trouble he'd be out on his ear'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The problem is that the age card is not regarded as secure enough against imitation.

Perhaps I'm strange, but I've never ever seen a fake Garda ID. I've seen fake passports, student ID's, and drivers' licences, but never Garda IDs.

Are they really that easy to fake? They appear to me to be harder than the other forms of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I still get asked for ID every now again. Never been refused it even though my hair is very long and messy on it and now i sold out my hair is tight and clean.

Incidentally, the only time my ID was questioned was last week in a stationary shop where i was trying to blag a stupid student discount. The woman questioned my college ID and kept asking if i was the same person... all for a 10% discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lost my passport once just before one of my closest mate's 19th, I brought my birth cert out that night and matched the name to all my cards in my wallet. Everyone had a good laugh but they let me in. Who the crap would bring their birth cert out to a club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blow Me

Kold wrote:
    Lost my passport once just before one of my closest mate's 19th, I brought my birth cert out that night and matched the name to all my cards in my wallet. Everyone had a good laugh but they let me in. Who the crap would bring their birth cert out to a club?

LOL SO FUNNY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I haven't been refused but I do get asked for ID every single time and I'm 24... A few days ago I was buying drink in an off-license in town and I get asked for ID as usual - I hand over my age card and the woman looks amazed then has a good laugh and says "wow I thought you were 16!"... yeah real funny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dead air wrote:
    Incidentally, the only time my ID was questioned was last week in a stationary shop where i was trying to blag a stupid student discount. The woman questioned my college ID and kept asking if i was the same person... all for a 10% discount :D

Ya musta felt like such a cheapo! :D I feel like a bum whenever I use my discount, so if someone started accusing me of using a fake I'd run out of the store! :D lol

Ruu wrote:
    I used to have my age card as ID when flying and got stopped in Liverpool once and got asked what was my role in the Department of Justice.
    Pazaz 21 wrote:
    You should have just said Minister, they wouldn't have known any better anyway !!

You even might have been able to be on the receiving end of a 'whip-around' while you were at it.

Note to self: Always pretend to be the Minister for something while abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kold wrote:
    Just a question though, have you ever let someone in with what you thought was real ID and then gotten in trouble for it being fake? I doubt you'd be held responsible. Is it really necessary to ruin so many people's evenings just because you're in a bad mood or whatever?

No, thats never happened to me.

As regards your second question. I think its deplorable if a doorman takes his moods out on a client. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've seen it happen. But I'd never condone it, and honestly I can say I've never done it.

Oh, and I've never used the "sorry regulars only" line either!. I hate it. It makes me stomach turn when I hear it used.

kbannon wrote:
    The gardai don't have the right to take it from you unless a court gives them permission.
    However, from experience it is a common practice for the gardai working with GNIB to take foreign nationals passports without a decent reason!

How likely is it that a Guard will sell your passport?. Please don't try pick holes in what I posted. Its a genuine warning of a scam which is happening country wide, I could careless about Guards and court order's, but I care for people having their passports robbed and sold on. So I thought I'd put that warning out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm 23 and usually bring my garda age card and passport out with me, never had any problems. I always take my ID out but they almost never look anymore even though I look very young for my age.

Sometimes you can just get bouncers on power trips who will question the ID just to see how you react; its a way of testing if you're a trouble maker. There's really no point arguing with them, there's no law saying they have to let you in. I have a friend who looks really rough and always gets pulled aside at the door but he never reacts or argues and after a moment they always let him in.

Anyway I don't envy a bouncer's job, they have to put up with a lot of crap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mairt wrote:
    How likely is it that a Guard will sell your passport?. Please don't try pick holes in what I posted. Its a genuine warning of a scam which is happening country wide, I could careless about Guards and court order's, but I care for people having their passports robbed and sold on. So I thought I'd put that warning out.
    You are right to put out a warning but in my experience of working with overseas (non-EU) students, the staff within GNIB (both civil servant and garda) take passports off people frequently with no plausable excuse and with no indication as to when it will be returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

I'm 23 and usually bring my garda age card and passport out with me, never had any problems. I always take my ID out but they almost never look anymore even though I look very young for my age.

Sometimes you can just get bouncers on power trips who will question the ID just to see how you react; its a way of testing if you're a trouble maker. There's really no point arguing with them, there's no law saying they have to let you in. I have a friend who looks really rough and always gets pulled aside at the door but he never reacts or argues and after a moment they always let him in.

Anyway I don't envy a bouncer's job, they have to put up with a lot of crap.

Exactly, alot of people who get refused or have trouble getting in are usually bolloxed drunk, acting the maggot or go up with an attitude, then have the nerve to say he's on a power trip. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think it's just bad form to ask for 2 forms of ID when you have a driving license, passport or garda card on you.
    Went to my college halloween party, I got in fine with just my garda card but later on they were turning people away for not having 2 forms, then when we all got (quite rightly) annoyed by this, there was some sort of siege mentality. Some people just can't admit when they're wrong. People were after putting a lot of effort into their costumes.

One line that annoys me is "Over-23s". Can you shed some light on this? Is that just some bull**** line? I didn't think that over-23s was allowed. It's especially annoying because you know that 19 year old girls are getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Kold wrote:

One line that annoys me is "Over-23s". Can you shed some light on this? Is that just some bull**** line? I didn't think that over-23s was allowed. It's especially annoying because you know that 19 year old girls are getting in.

I'd take that as not dressed suitably (happened me a few times before) or they suspect you've had a few drinks on you coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Ordered a drink the other day in the Legal Eagle. Barmaid didn't even ask me for ID or my age. She just looked at me like I was mad to be even trying to get alcohol. I'm 23. But I do look young. It's always funny.

Wasn't allowed into the Hub a few months back because they thought it wasn't me on my ID. Argued for ages. Then had to leave it because my mate told the bouncer to **** off. Not much chance of getting in after that no matter how old I was. The week after that though I walked straight in past the same bouncer with no problem. Maddness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

22 now, never been refused because of ID related issues. Was questioned once, suprisingly, although I suspect it was to establish how ****faced i was at the time.

I remember when I was 17 I got into a members only over 21 club with no ID, the week before my 18th birthday. Getting the ID a week later bit of anticlimax after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I rarely have trouble getting into places since I started college (ie was 16) and the only time I was underage and asked for id, I said I didn't have it on me... bouncer was very nice about letting me in >.<
    mostly only started being asked for id ever since I turned 18 though... I'm 21 now but apparently I look 18 or younger
    I went in to the shop to buy cigs the other day for my mother and the woman gave me an odd look and asked how old I was !

as for id being questioned, my passport is fairly new and never "been through the wash" so when I do have to produce it, it's ok
    I've only come across over-21s, they still let me in at 19-20 (not that I wanted to go anyway but friends dragged me in, they were over 21) but they wouldn't let lads in unless they were at least 20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The establishment i frequent on the weekends is over 23's. although they will let the over 21 rapscallions in aswell.
    Not too sure what its all about I thought it was over 18's only :confused:

kbannon wrote:
    You are right to put out a warning but in my experience of working with overseas (non-EU) students, the staff within GNIB (both civil servant and garda) take passports off people frequently with no plausable excuse and with no indication as to when it will be returned.

I understand where your coming from, and I'm not doubting your word. But again there is a mechanism for getting their passports returned (I hope). The thing is their not being robbed of their passports by someone who'll sell it onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The establishment i frequent on the weekends is over 23's. although they will let the over 21 rapscallions in aswell.
    Not too sure what its all about I thought it was over 18's only :confused:
    Me too but I guess if it's a private place it's their rules or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

*sigh*

i spent a winter in the canadian north when I was 16, and being too "manly" to use moisturiser, has left me with furrows on my forehead, thus aging me by about 20 years (I went to an interview in Hertz when I was 18, and during the group interview we had to guess people ages, they all guessed mine between 30-35 :() the plus is that I never get asked for ID, it was always myself and the lad who could grow a midday shade (there's always one) who would go on the beer runs after school.

I only get my ID questioned when i'm out with some of my better looking female friends (who don't get asked), never when i'm on my own or with some lads, its like the bouncers like to throw their authority around infront of women. Doesn't bother me, as I always carry my garda ID anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

hmm i get ID'd everynow and again but only when im with a friend of mine, if we go in seperatly we are grand but together we always get ID'd. my garda ID is 4 years old now and im bald as a coot in the photo as apposed to the goatee and hair down my back i got now. still geta laugh from the bouncers everytime but never been refused for it. just sometimes confused looks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The Garda ID is to be used only for purchasing alcohol and regarded as ID for entering licensed premises.

Tesco have this 'Garda ID only' rule in all their stores. Its signposted but very very stupid.

Sidenote: Was going to 21's(Staff party...) and was asked for ID. Produced my Passport, bouncer started peeling at corner. Told him to stop and he asked for more ID, was satisfied when I produced my bank card. Pretty sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Blisterman wrote:
    Tesco in the Merrion refused my friend, who had his passport with him, saying they only accept Garda ID.
    What an idiot.

I work in Tesco and the amount of people we get trying to buy drink with student IDs/passports/driving licences that get pissed off when I refuse to serve them.
    We have signs up everywhere saying if you look under 21 you have to have Garda ID to buy drink, if you don't then fúck off!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

There's a place in limerick which is renowned for asking for student ID only......I mean come on i'm 24, just because i'm not in college i can't drink in a city center bar with no college affiliations?

I've also had the whole,fake driving liscense bit when i was in Newbridge but i think the best one ever was walking into a certain establishment in Limerick where i walked passed the bouncers and my well dressed friend was stopped by a bouncer with the words "where do you think you're going" and "look at the state of you" then when i came back out the bouncer was telling him he was too casual.

I was wearing a round neck tshirt, jeans and cream skate shoes, my "too casual" friend was wearing a shirtwith jeans and a pair of black skate shoes, he looked 100 times better than i did.

9 times out of 10 it's just bouncer's on power trips that cause hassle for people on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

jezza wrote:

I'd say you'd have a hard time having those accepted anywhere you'd actually want to go.

The place I used to go to is over 23s, they don't generally ID. Anyone that is IDed isn't getting in. Or at least that's how it was, now they let all and sundry in and the place has gone downhill big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

A pub is a pub when you are under age!!
    My real id should be along anytime now. Woot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm always getting asked for ID. In the Venue nightclub in Kilkenny, the bouncers said my age card was fake, and I got the cops to go up to the bouncers and confirm that it was in fact real. The bouncer then just said "Passports only tonight".

In fact at the last boards beers I was at I was asked for ID and I showed the bouncer my age card and he just burst out laughing.

Advertisement