Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Getting Up

Options
  • 17-11-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I seriously need help getting up for college. My time table is quite irregular and my work often goes to midnight so I have no regular sleeping pattern, meaning I often don't get the full 8 hours. Which means that if I don't have something absolutely essential (like handing in a project or doing a test) I just won't bother getting up.

The night before I might be like "Ok, getting up, straight away at eight O'Clock!" but it means nothing once that moment comes, I roll over and go back to sleep.

So what tricks do you use to force yourself up and out in the morning?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If I take a couple of minutes to concentrate on the alarm clock after setting it for wake up time, I normally wake up just before it rings. I think others reported similar experiences elsewhere on a thread in this forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Dont leave your alarm beside the bed where you can reach it from your bed.. leave it at the other side of the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn it off. When its off, your out of the bed and can start the process of getting ready

Its unlikely that you will walk back into the bed when you know you have school

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was like you but you can frce yourself up. You can do it for the assignments so you can do it normally.
    I find pure will and some loud music gets me up. :)

Set music to come on across the room. Once youa re out of bed, I find, you have no problem staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Dont leave your alarm beside the bed where you can reach it from your bed.. leave it at the other side of the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn it off.

kick ass tip. I'm trying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Dont leave your alarm beside the bed where you can reach it from your bed.. leave it at the other side of the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn it off. When its off, your out of the bed and can start the process of getting ready

Its unlikely that you will walk back into the bed when you know you have school

I tried that before, never worked, i used to just wake up in a sleepy confused daze, wonder where the hell that annoying noise was coming from, try turn off a few random objects, half realise whats going on, get up, turn it off and fall back into bed.

These days if i REALLY have to get up, i downloaded an alarm clock for the computer which you can que songs to play as an alarm, so i line up some excellent songs and then in the morning they start to play and i stay awake because i want to listen to the songs, also you can type in a message and through the magic of Text-To-Speech you can have the computer shout at you to get up or remind you of what you have to do. Works most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah I tried the "leave alarm on other side of room" trick. I leap up, furious and confused. I turn it off, stand there for three seconds cold and beligerent and fall back into my nice warm bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I tried that before, never worked, i used to just wake up in a sleepy confused daze, wonder where the hell that annoying noise was coming from, try turn off a few random objects, half realise whats going on, get up, turn it off and fall back into bed.

These days if i REALLY have to get up, i downloaded an alarm clock for the computer which you can que songs to play as an alarm, so i line up some excellent songs and then in the morning they start to play and i stay awake because i want to listen to the songs, also you can type in a message and through the magic of Text-To-Speech you can have the computer shout at you to get up or remind you of what you have to do. Works most of the time.

where can i download that, i have trouble getting up in the afternoon as i work nights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Leaving the alarm across the room is the best thing that has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I've tried the alarm accross the room thing, but i've gotten too used to it. I've mastered taking two steps, hitting the off switch, two steps back again and into bed. The scary thing is I now tend to do it without opening my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Those noisy alarm clocks (ya know with the bell things on either side) and put it into a saucepan. Boys the noise of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

admiralgar wrote:
    where can i download that, i have trouble getting up in the afternoon as i work nights

I got it from a coughcoughtorrentsitecoughcough...shhhhhh, i didn't say that, I do everything legally...all the time....ahem...

The one i downloaded was Aquarius Soft PC Alarm Clock, so im sure you can find it yourself somewhere on the internet, completely legally of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't close your curtains. It does help, although unfortunately not terribly bright even at 8am these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Everything legal here lads?

Good.

Advertisement