Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man dies after drinking contest - Publican is held responsible

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

was the height and weight of the dead man revealed, taller larger people generally have a higher tolerance.
    but to the person who posted about publicans being greedy and all about profits.
    what you said is not 100% true, the vast majority of publicans run their business in a professional manner and want to be seen as such, negative publicity about someone dying in their pub after a binge would only harm the business.
    the premises i work in run a strict policy of ' if you look to me like you have had enough then go home, sleep, and come back tomorrow'. 99% of our customers agree to this when we say it to them and do go home, drunk but not legless. sometimes if a stray patron passes through the net and is legless i (the head chef) fill them with mash potato and gravy and leave them with a pint of water for half an hour before sending them on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It is possible to drink a bottle of spirits and not appear too drunk until after you have finished the bottle.

Has nobody here done the vodka challenge (you have a bottle of vodka, a mixer and an hour to drink it). I done it once in college and was still ok when the bottle was gone.
    Granted about an hour later I was out of it, but while drinking it I would have looked fine.

I would say if they were served everything by the one barman, he should have stopped it. Alot of bars will refuse to serve you a tripple (sometimes a double) of really strong shots, and serving 1 after the other is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The publican should now sue the family for damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

matrim wrote:
    It is possible to drink a bottle of spirits and not appear too drunk until after you have finished the bottle.

Has nobody here done the vodka challenge (you have a bottle of vodka, a mixer and an hour to drink it). I done it once in college and was still ok when the bottle was gone.
    Granted about an hour later I was out of it, but while drinking it I would have looked fine.

I would say if they were served everything by the one barman, he should have stopped it. Alot of bars will refuse to serve you a tripple (sometimes a double) of really strong shots, and serving 1 after the other is no different.

isn't it illegal to serve triples?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

isn't it illegal to serve triples?

Thats a stupid dublin thing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

100 grand is a small price to pay for ridding the race of such a stupid person.

long live evolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

i dont drink brandy, but i drink vodka, and ive often drank more than 18 of them in an hour, and if i get sick and rip the throath out of myself, i wouldnt expect the pub to have to pay for my lossengers the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Package wrote:
    i dont drink brandy, but i drink vodka, and ive often drank more than 18 of them in an hour, and if i get sick and rip the throath out of myself, i wouldnt expect the pub to have to pay for my lossengers the next day.
    So you have drunk 639ml, close to a 700ml bottle, of straight vodka in an hour?

Mixed is an entirely different story....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Dempsey wrote:
    Thats a stupid dublin thing:rolleyes:

I was given a verbal warning for doling out trebles, and that was in Tullamore. Stupid thing was, all the person would have to do was ask me for 3 singles, or a double and a single.

Wasn't allowed do it in Portarlington either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Why bother have a legal drinking age of eighteen to try & ensure those drinking are adults if you are going to have the bar staff babysit & nursemaid the customers over eighteen who are clearly not capable of looking after themselves? If some idiot wants to drown himself with alcohol why is that anybody elses fault but his own?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,961 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why bother have a legal drinking age of eighteen to try & ensure those drinking are adults if you are going to have the bar staff babysit & nursemaid the customers over eighteen who are clearly not capable of looking after themselves? If some idiot wants to drown himself with alcohol why is that anybody elses fault but his own?! :confused:
    So using the same philosophy we wouldn't need the gardai at all. We wouldn't need doctors or nurses or carers. We wouldn't need the emergency crews to attend the scene of a crash involving a boy racer who's trapped and near death inside his car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

themole wrote:
    So you have drunk 639ml, close to a 700ml bottle, of straight vodka in an hour?

Mixed is an entirely different story....

no,, not straight, mixed with coke, say about 3 vodka's per small bottle of coke,,, the same amount of alcohol goes into your system wether its mixed or not ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

muffler wrote:
    So using the same philosophy we wouldn't need the gardai at all. We wouldn't need doctors or nurses or carers. We wouldn't need the emergency crews to attend the scene of a crash involving a boy racer who's trapped and near death inside his car.

What are you wittering on about?! What philosophical straws are you weakly attempting to grab at? How on earth do you come to the conclusion I would wipe out the police force, doctors & carers by my previous statement? Do the Gardai & emergency services only come to the aid of idiots on suicide missions? Is that what you are suggesting? :confused:

If I got my way then certainly it would be Joe Bloggs public innocently minding their own business when some idiot who can't afford a decent car crashes into them in a suped up Micra are the ones I'd send the paramedics in to help first. My lack of sympathy extends to idiots in cars as well as pubs - not everyone, just those who treat their own life or the life of others with utter contempt. And no, I wouldn't have the boy racer left to bleed to death even if it was his own fault, what I said in my original post re the man drinking himself to death was (and I'm repeating as you obviously missed it the first time) "why is that anybody's fault but his own". Not that he should have been left to die, not that he should have been refused treatment, just that there is no-one to blame but the guy whos actions caused his own death. Can I put it any clearer than that?

Ahhh, I'm assuming here but your Boards ID would lead me to believe you have a soft spot for boy racers, hence the desperation to make comparisons. ;) Since you brought it up, I don't think the Gardai, doctors or nurses are there to nursemaid anyone - put them back together by all means & keep the rest of us safe - but their primary function should not be keeping otherwise sane, usually reasonably mentaly competent people from killing themselves either through deliberate alcohol abuse or by racing cars, or anything else for that matter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

generally speaking, the rate at which you become intoxicated is equal to the dose over time, for example a bottle of vodka over half an hour is much more intoxicating than two bottles of vodka over two hours.

the effect of mixing with other liquids will not have a huge effect on the absorption of the alcohol and the rate of intoxication. eating certain foods on the other hand can lessen the amount of free alcohol in the bloodstream and delay the absorption of alcohol in the digestive tract.

the reason most people think mixing slows things down is because you would generally drink a mixed drink slower, e.g. total alcohol consumed over a certain time would be lower. the actual concentration of the alcohol is not a factor once it does not influence the total amount consumed over a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

drinking that many brandies will have an effect almost straight away. even if it didn't the bar man should have known that it would have an effect. i totally blame the barman. im a barman myself. drunk people will always look for more drink thats why its our responsibility to say when they have had enough. drink will effect people so much that they wont think about how dangerous it is. thats where the sober and responsable barman comes in. i have often said no toregular customers who have ha enough, and i als have the cop on to that person in a cab and make sure that they make it home. The barman should have known better..... its as simple as that ! ! ! !

Package wrote:
    no,, not straight, mixed with coke, say about 3 vodka's per small bottle of coke,,, the same amount of alcohol goes into your system wether its mixed or not ????
    True enough, but it a lot easier to drink mixed :)

3 per bottle of coke, thats not too strong.
    I used to drink half and half, but would never be able to handle 18 shots, would most likely puke.

Reading some stuff online absorption of alcohol seems to vary a lot depending on body factors as well as digestion. Food in the stomach seems to slow this down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Package wrote:
    the same amount of alcohol goes into your system wether its mixed or not ????
    Concentration does affect toxicity and absorption rate, food really affects it greatly. Thats why it is hard to find spirits over 50%, blue label here is nearly always 45%. It is a tax issue, a fire hazard issue, and a health issue. In the US you can get everclear vodka, 95%, but it is illegal in many states.

18 shots is equivalent to less than 10 pints of beer, I could not imagine anybody dying from drinking that in the same time, it would be hard to do granted but I know some blokes that probably would manage it.

Anything past I think 50% is pretty toxic to the stomach, but there is always liquid in the stomach so it is diluted somewhat.

Barmen are drug dealers and should be trained as such, pharmacists (or a semi trained assistant) would not keep dishing out paracetomol to somebody downing packets of them in front of them.

mloc wrote:
    generally speaking, the rate at which you become intoxicated is equal to the dose over time, for example a bottle of vodka over half an hour is much more intoxicating than two bottles of vodka over two hours.
    Your liver processes about 1 pint of beer per hour. So if you drink a crate of beer over 24hours you will never really get drunk. If a guy has been in a pub for 3 hours and had 6 pints he really has 3 pints in his system. If he continues and drinks another 2 pints in the next hour he has 4 pints in his system. If his mate came in at the start of that hour and downed 5 pints "playing catch up" he should in theory be at the same level of drunkeness after that hour is up.

While doing a bit o research i came across this site. Its an English site but it lets you select a large shot of 35ml.

Using this 11 pints of Guinness are 25.3 units.

But 18 35ml shots of Martell VS are around the same at 25.2 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It was the lads birthday, he drank so much he ended up choking on his own vomit. You can be sure that AGS didn't take the decision, after 16 months invesitgating it, to charge them with manslaughter lightly.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/barmen-charged-as-hotel-guest-dies-from-alcohol-intoxication-1927506.html

Why bother have a legal drinking age of eighteen to try & ensure those drinking are adults if you are going to have the bar staff babysit & nursemaid the customers over eighteen who are clearly not capable of looking after themselves? If some idiot wants to drown himself with alcohol why is that anybody elses fault but his own?!

Do you seriously think that if someone is already clearly intoxicated the barstaff should continue to serve them more and more alcohol? You don't see any possible problems arising out of that situation whatsoever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The event is old news. The thread is old news and the trial is old news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

prinz wrote: »
    It was the lads birthday, he drank so much he ended up choking on his own vomit. You can be sure that AGS didn't take the decision, after 16 months invesitgating it, to charge them with manslaughter lightly.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/barmen-charged-as-hotel-guest-dies-from-alcohol-intoxication-1927506.html

I thought disinterment was illegal in Ireland?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I thought disinterment was illegal in Ireland?

:pac: My mistake, thought I was on the other thread. Slap me.:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement