Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to sit the Leaving

Options
  • 15-11-2006 10:31am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted this...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055015146

in the Education section 2 days ago and have had little response and I'm now hoping the mods will let me leave in AH for a while so I might get some more replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

This is more in response to your other thread.

Generally, you will need to have completed your Leaving Certificate. However, if you are applying for a place as a mature student, you will not be asked to meet the usual entry requirements. Different courses operate different entry procedures, but, in general, the colleges will take into account your educational background, work history, community involvement and other achievements and interests. This system is known as the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL). It is useful to find out whether the college of your choice uses the APEL system before you apply.

In some cases, you may be asked to take an entrance exam.

More here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I was sure you had to of actually completed the leaving to become a mature student, I'm open to correction though.

I've no idea where you could do it at night, perhaps the place in Rathmines?

Good luck with it though :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

petes wrote:
    This is more in response to your other thread.

More here

Cheers for that.. loads of info there.. Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

This is taken from DCU's website for Mature students. I'm sure other colleges/universities would implement similar rules.
    In the case of mature applicants, 'other' experience, apart from performance in examinations, is taken into consideration - this may be work experience, further studies, or other such experience deemed to be relevant to the application. Mature applicants are assessed based on their application details and may be called for interview (typically in late May/early June). The University aims to inform applicants of the outcome of their application as soon as possible afterwards, with official offers issued by the Central Applications Office (CAO) in Round 0 in early July.

I know a few people in my first year of college were mature students and did not have a leaving cert. One of them was a mother in her late 40's and went on to get her degree.

Just be aware that mature student places tend to be very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

xzanti wrote:
    Cheers for that.. loads of info there.. Thanks guys :)
    Now go, live your dream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Consider the Trinity Access Programme (TAP) in Trinity College - they run a foundation course for adults who may or may not have sat the Leaving Cert and who wish to go to a third level college. You can either do the Foundation Course in Trinity itself or in a VEC College. Depending on your results at the end of a year you are then offered a place in a third-level institution.

More info here -
    http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/

Advertisement