Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to do the leaving

Options
  • 13-11-2006 3:11pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I left school in 5th year and never sat the leaving which I sorely regret, I'm 23 now and want to go back and do it at night before I get any older.. Just wondering has anyone else done this and where they sat it, how much it cost, how long it took etc... Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

u don't need to go bac and do the leaving your 23 so u can go through college as a mature student ....... a lot easier than sitting the horibl eleaving cert

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

u don't need to go bac and do the leaving your 23 so u can go through college as a mature student ....... a lot easier than sitting the horibl eleaving cert

Really? Are you sure about that? A friend of mines mother had to sit it at 37 before she could go to college.. She did it at night afaik :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

once your 23 you can be judged on your merits and go into whatever course as a mature student. not sure what is meant exactly by merits but im guessing its work experiance and that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

If you want to apply as a mature student, you usually apply through the CAO as normal, but in some cases you need to fill in supplementary forms, depending on the college you want to attend. I'm planning on applying to TCD and they have a supplementary form on their website which you should download and fill in if you want to do a TCD course. UCD ask for a CAO application as normal, plus other information like a personal statement, photocopy of any examination results etc. So you should check out the website of whatever college you're interested in and see what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I repeated last year, if you have a medical card it wont cost you much as long as you don't go to a private place like the institute (around 80 euro I think) all other costs are covered by the state.

If you're going as a mature student (check to make sure you qualify as one first, it depends on when in the year you're born) then you need to do the leaving cert to get into college although you only need to pass it, which is 5 passes in 5 pass subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

roberta c wrote:
    once your 23 you can be judged on your merits and go into whatever course as a mature student. not sure what is meant exactly by merits but im guessing its work experiance and that sort of thing!

Mediacal school, here I come. :)

Advertisement