Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You must be a........

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Heys guys,

This thread springs from a different thread, so I will give you a brief outline!!! In a different thread where I was pointing out that maybe a posters actions were a bit OTT I was referred to as "dumb" and a "thug" simply because I have done and occasionally still do, doorwork. I have no particular issue with this, as everyone is entitled to there opinion no matter how arse ways it might be!

It did get me thinking though, about how in the past I have had a lot of "lower scale" jobs so to speak and was often treated poorly or met with certain assumptions just because of the job that I did.

As such, I now ensure that I am always mannerly to everyone, as every job needs doing!

My questions is this, have you ever been treated poorly by a stranger, or met with certain labels simply because of the job you did at the time? If so how did it effect you in the short/long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I was working in a video store when I was in college. This lady dropped a dvd back late and I told her as nicely as possible that she owed an extra night as it was late. She completely denied it and questioned the whole computer system. :rolleyes:

Anyways long story short after proving every single way possible that the dvd was late, she turned around and told me that I didnt know what I was talking about being just a shop girl. She turned around and said she had a degree in english and who was I to ask her for her fine. Ugh

Like Dragan I treat everyone in all professions equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

TBH thats just their ignorance mate and not a slight on you.

Only thing I can think of was when I was a waiter. A group called me over to ask about specials. The specials board stated that one of the dishes came with a choice of bread or potato (can't remember) and I hadn't read this. One of the women asked me about it and I mistakenly said it didn't come with the side dish. She screwed up her nose and said something like "excuse me, but can you actually read..oh probably not" to stifled chuckles at the table.

Dragan wrote:
    Heys guys,

This thread springs from a different thread, so I will give you a brief outline!!! In a different thread where I was pointing out that maybe a posters actions were a bit OTT I was referred to as "dumb" and a "thug" simply because I have done and occasionally still do, doorwork. I have no particular issue with this, as everyone is entitled to there opinion no matter how arse ways it might be!

It did get me thinking though, about how in the past I have had a lot of "lower scale" jobs so to speak and was often treated poorly or met with certain assumptions just because of the job that I did.

As such, I now ensure that I am always mannerly to everyone, as every job needs doing!

My questions is this, have you ever been treated poorly by a stranger, or met with certain labels simply because of the job you did at the time? If so how did it effect you in the short/long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I worked on the Port Tunnel, so you can just imagine the amount of sh1t I get! Thank god I moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meh, I've been a bouncer before. The fact of the matter is that there's some amazing twats out there who shouldn't be doing the job, and they pretty much give out a bad name for all persons doing the job.

I've got friends doing bouncing aswell, they're sound as hell, but I have run into some absolute ****ing scumbag bouncers, you'll have that. But if someone is going to make arbitrary comments about me, or anyone else simply because of the type of job, then it reflects a lot more on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've had some poxy jobs but I have to say I've been very lucky. I do make sure to treat people in general the same no matter what their job. If anything I can be nice to people in the service industry because they tend to get more crap - balance it out like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

TheGooner wrote:
    I was working in a video store when I was in college. This lady dropped a dvd back late and I told her as nicely as possible that she owed an extra night as it was late. She completely denied it and questioned the whole computer system. :rolleyes:

Anyways long story short after proving every single way possible that the dvd was late, she turned around and told me that I didnt know what I was talking about being just a shop girl. She turned around and said she had a degree in english and who was I to ask her for her fine. Ugh

OMG.. That sounds exactly like a woman I know :D .. lol.. Where was the video shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Used to work in directory enquiries where I was constantly regailed as being ignorant because I didn't know where every little township in Ireland was. Especially by studenty country callers outsidee roaring nightclubs at 2am.

"I want the number for a taxi company in Ballyjaylackanvey!"
    "In which country is that?"
    "**** you! Your job to know that, not mine, you ignorant ****!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

xzanti wrote:
    OMG.. That sounds exactly like a woman I know :D .. lol.. Where was the video shop??

Hahaha Killester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

when I was in college, I worked as a kitchen porter in a large bank building on Baggot st.

Used to get treated like crap by the bankers, and it seemed the younger they were, the worse they would treat you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

TheGooner wrote:
    Hahaha Killester

Not her so, sounded a lot like her, a friends mother, she went back as a mature student and would gloat constantly about her "letters" afaik it was an English degree.. Total nut job.. she would ask strangers about their education and er, other personal details.. Very unstable woman :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Was working in a sailing club bar during an intervarsity being organised by the local IT. All the students were really sound except the local ones. Three staff in the bar, me, my younger cousin and a mate of ours. One of the local students starts giving off at my cousin cos she wouldn't serve him (he was roaring drunk) and he starts yelling at her that she's only a fncking barmaid, what right has she to tell him what he can and cannot do, he's in college etc etc. Cue enraged fozzle taking up arms in support. Told him that between us we were studying geology, law and veterinary science in university and that if he thought that having enough pride to work our way through colege instead of living off mammy and daddy made us less than him then he could fnck off and take his attitude with him, at least some day we'd have real jobs.

:( Felt really bad about it after, I don't really give a damn if someone goes to rd level or not let alone what kind of institution they attend. He just got me so angry with his pompous superiour snobby attitude. :) But then I must have sounded just as bad as him.

Anyway, I've gotten that sort of treatment from lots of people in various bars I've worked in and I've learned to just ignore it. some people are just plain morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Worked as a bouncer for a year + and got the usual crap, but I actually found that most people were friendly to me.. maybe it was just in the places I was working :)

Worked as a barman for ages - people just thought I was deaf ie. 'CAN I GET A STRAW PLEASE??!!' - I'm busy, not deaf! ;)

Worked in a cinema, where I used to clean after every showing. People would often look at me with the pity eyes.. which was annoying at first as I was nearly embarrassed to be doing my job, but then I got on with it and realised that it was possibly the easiest job I'd ever had.

I'm now a sales manager, and I get all the crap form me mates about not doing a real job ie. sparky, chippie, blockie etc. I'd rather sit on my ass all day and take phone calls, have internet access and make some moola. Working on a site in winter doesn't really appeal, that makes me not a real man tho.. Oh well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

came accross this kind of **** too, when myself and the brother tried to join a golf club as junior members in west county dublin we were told we didn't get in, the member that proposed us said they rejected us simply because our father was dead and we worked as waiters in the local bar that our mother cleaned for a living, our kind of people weren't wanted. went and joined hollystown instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

A little bit off topi, but while working in New York Behind a bar I had the biggest gimp of a manager. THis guy had all the annoying traits, he had really bad breath but insisted on standing right next to you. He would interrupt you doing a remedial job to show you how to do it his (longer, more drawn out) way. Anyway I had to work paddys day and then the following morning one of the lads rang me to say that he had pulled and woken up in upstate New york, about 4 hours away. I said I would go into work. So I left the late bar (this is at around 12pm) and went into work. I had to restock all the glasses and get all the liquer out of the basement and bring it up to the top floor etc.... I could barely see I was so drunk.

Anyway the manager came in hungover and started breaking my balls about something. We had a shout off against eachother which led to him coming over and taking hold of my arm and putting his mouldy face close to mine and saying "Do you want to be working here tomorrow?" I didnt reply and he walked off.

About five minutes later while walking by the walk in fridge I saw him inside taking a stock count of the wine. Knowing that the inside handle was broken I kicked the door closed and walked away. About twenty minutes later the owner walked in. I fixed him a drink while he went to the toilets. As he made his way toward the toilets he passed by the fridge where he heard the thuds of the trapped manager. He was released and I played dumb. I was fired before my next shift. No regrets. Seeing that dirtbags purple shivery face will stay with me till the day I die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

TheGooner wrote:

Been there mate, I remember my days in chartbusters. We used to have a Bosnian family come in rent DVD's bring them back over a week late, refuse to pay and then bring the wife/siters/brothers in to sign up for a new account.

One day I put the foot down and he started raving at me about how I was racist? Hilarious.

Anyway point being people will say anything to avoid paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'd say nearly everyone has come across people like that sometime in one or more of their jobs.
    Long one here lads.
    I used to work for a well known hardware store franchise, some really really ignorant customers but some really sound ones too. Anyway one sunday evening during the summer this old cow comes in with her daughter and son at 5.55, starts wandering around (place closes at 6). Decides she wants a BBQ worth about €700 manager asks me to get one. Went to the stock room, none left, came back said so she starts off at me saying "Your only not getting one because its your finishing time blah blah blah", called the manager, showed him we were out of stock, he tells her and she demands the display one at a reduced price.
    After a bit of argument the manager agrees to give it to her, but shell only take it if it works so we had to get a gas cylinder and demonstrate it working. Then it wont fit in her car so it has to be taken apart. We explained to her it was "sold as seen". As I was taking it apart she was making smart ass comments to the son and daughter about "people working in these kind of places".
    Finally got it apart, boxed, no one else around so I ask the son to give me a hand with the box, the thing was nearly 50KG, the whole family looked at me like I asked him to suck my dick or something.
    Wouldnt carry it with me, got a trolley got it to the car. Put it in no thanks or anything. So I told them I forgot to give them the user manual, and helped myself to a few hard to replace screws and the starter wire (hard to replace) when I put the manual in.

She was on the phone the next day crying about how it wont go together, the manager told her that she must have lost something as it was all working when it left here.

Moral of the story
    c - 13 : 1
    Snotty Cow : 0 and minus €700

//Feels good to get that rant out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...slut.

You must be a slut, because you slept with more than one person. You must be a slut, because you had sex before you got married. You must be a slut, because otherwise I'd have to admit there may have been an emotional attachment between you and the person you were having sex with while we were on a break, and that can't be that case, so you're a slut. You must be a slut because you're a woman who's dressed up. You must be a slut because your cleavage is on display. You must be a slut because you're wearing a short skirt. You must be a slut because you rejected me. You must be a slut because I thought I was going to get somewhere but I didn't.

You must be a slut, because I can't find the correct words to properly express my own sense of paranoia and insecurity so I'm going to choose some fairly offensive terminology and accuse you of being a slut even though it's a pretty meaningless term.

Slutslutslutslutslut. If you say it enough it becomes like Oatibix on the tongue - a tasteless paste of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Oh sweet sweet vengence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

TheGooner wrote:

You're female?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Used to work in a coffee shop and always found that the 'suits' were the worst customers. Now there's exception to every rule but I found a lot of them seemed to have aversions to the words 'please' and 'thank you'.
    There was one guy that used to always rip up the sugar packets and leave them on the floor under his table. Felt like following him back to his office one day and throwing files and **** around to see how he liked it. Outside sweeping down the footpath you'd get looks for people walking past as if to say 'look at that poor eejit all he can manage is to get a job cleaning'.

Once had a girl decline to go to a party that she was very enthusiastic for because it would be full of people who were going to college at GMIT. Obviously her and her NUIG buddies were too good for us common slobs.

People always make assumptions about you. I go to work in my regular scruffy clothes - hoody, cords and converse. People presume I have a **** job because of the way I dress but I have a pretty decent one. It doesn't bother me though as long as they don't start talking down to me like I'm a serf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I'm a student and I work part-time in a small shop. My town is mostly full of knackers anyway so I'd rarely if ever get looked down on. But when I finish college and have my fancy job I'm sure I'll get all the usual inverse-snobbery.

bluewolf wrote:
    You're female?!

Yes?!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Rememeber the old saying "Be nice to people on your way up, you'll meet them on your way down".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

dragan you're by far the most articulate doorman i've met!!

A slightly diiferent one:

It was halloween and I had just left my cousins house with him, which is quite big and in a nice area. A few young kids were trick-or-treating with their mother's and came by my cousins neighbours house, which is quite smaller and dingy looking.

The mother said upon looking at the neighbours house "come on kids, we'd better go next door instead (my cousins house)." So my cousins says quite clearly that they're actually very nice people and would love to have kids knock around. She does some kind of weird snort as if that couldn't be true based on it's appearance and walks off. :mad:

That and a woman who used to treat me like crap in the supermarket i worked in suddenly changed her tune when she found out what school i went to - well "respected" :rolleyes: in the area, yet she still said she never would have thought so:mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Dragan wrote:
    as every job needs doing!

Really, does the world really need maketing executives? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

When I worked in a newsagent, I was serving this forty-something woman. As I am a friendly, articulate bloke I guess I made some sort of impression on her. She said that I seemed to be very smart to be working in a shop (!). I told her that I was only doing this to put myself through college, and on her enquiring, I told her I was studying philosophy. She then asked if that had turned me away from Christianity (!), and I told her that I had been an atheist for years, and I didn't need to go to college for it. She than handed me a pamphlet about God's love for me! I guess once I mentioned atheism she was no longer impressed by my intelligence. I laughed at first, but I later got furios about being patronised like that.
    To be honest though, I only ever heard one or two people ever say the likes of "Well what do you know, you work in a shop." Judging basded on career is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Just after I'd finished college I had a job in an offlicence. One day some woman came in and bought something (IIRC a bottle of wine). She paid and I gave her the change. She started to leave, but came back saying I had given her the wrong change. She said she had paid with a 50. I was just after doing the till and knew there were no 50's there. So I was polite and told her that it was a 20. There were no 50's in the till.
    She procedes to tell me how she has a degree and knows better than some shop assistant what she gave me. I was pissed off with her because there was queue forming so just smiled, asked her what her degree was in and what she got. She said a 2.2 in some arts degree (I can't remember what). Which prompted me to tell her I had a 2.1 degree in computers and know exactly what she gave me, and if she didn't mind I'd like to deal with the queue that was forming behind her. The best thing was the look on her face as she left, especially as the guy that was behind her started to burst out laughing at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I worked in the service industry before & during college. You name it, spar, catering, general dogsbody in a clothes shop...

In one particular outlet we made sandwiches.
    They were made as per the board.
    i.e.: one million sandwiches with different fillings, and you pick one.

An old bag came up to me on the counter and said that she wanted "x" off the board but minus certain fillings.

Rather than initially explaining to her that we made them up in bulk in the mornings, sealed them, fridged them, and sold them in the afternoon and this wasn't a deli, but your typical production line, I just told her simply that she couldn't and asked if she could pick an alternative from the board.

Not a chance, she went mental, and me not really being a people person, (mostly kept in the kitchen doing dishes away from the general public, which suited me), told her if she wanted a specifically made up sandwich, then a deli was where she should go after a hard days shopping.

I was in bad form, I had been taken away from my easy dish washing and substituted for someone who was off with a hangover. I had to deal with people.

I turned my back and she called me all the names under the sun, remarking to her haggard mate, that "how stupid was someone who couldn't even make a sandwich in a sandwich company."

well, straw, camel, back.

My rant started off with "listen lady"... went on with "go somewhere else"... continued with "premade, prepacked sandwiches, the meaning of which seems to escape your intelligence", and ended with a pot of tea being slung across the counter, swivelling in circles as it landed just in front of her. Before shouting NEXT!

To which i turned to the next customer who was my sister, looking at me in disbelief.

I was back in the kitchen the next week and it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

When I forst started working at the Hospital I was treated quite poorly by many of the nurses.
    I'm just a lowly receprionist after all. I'm not making the big money.

But I've been there 6 months now, and have gotten a chance to really know them and visa versa. Most I really like. But those that treated me sh1tty at the start are just uptight wenches through to the bone!

Advertisement