Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low temperture reports, 1st Nov onwards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snowbie sorry it has a blue liquid inside it, it reads -1c at moment.

Just another point, car temp read outs how accurate are they, where in/on the car are they located.

Are you reading ground or air temp?
    Is it located at least a meter off ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can we expect lower temps for the duration of the winter? Man its cold, atleast if it snowed it would make putting up the cold worthwhile. Bring on a nice easterly from syberia. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Snowbie the thermometer is about one meter of ground so I presume its air temp Im monitoring. If I want to check ground temp will the thermometer on the ground do the job or does it have to be some kind of probe in the soil.

Air temp here seems to have gone up to 3 degrees now from -1 earlier.

Dundalk daily,you would want the thermometer a little higher than that.

Overnight low here was +0.1c so a fraction away from the first air frost of the winter.
    There was a lovely white hoar frost this morning which was all the more beautifull in the golden sunrise and slight mist.

Snowbie the thermometer is about one meter of ground so I presume its air temp Im monitoring. If I want to check ground temp will the thermometer on the ground do the job or does it have to be some kind of probe in the soil.

Air temp here seems to have gone up to 3 degrees now from -1 earlier.

Ok Dundalk,4 feet off the ground is the minimum for measuring air temp.
    For soil temp in this case its the grass temp we measure and is normally 3c lower than air temp but can be up to 5 to 10c lower than air temp in colder snaps.

Yep a soil thermometer can be both a probe or a normal thermo and soil is measured at certain depths grass 10cm and 30cm,we usually go by the grass temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Tristrame wrote:
    Dundalk daily,you would want the thermometer a little higher than that.

Overnight low here was +0.1c so a fraction away from the first air frost of the winter.

Colder than with me!

Min of +1.4C both in the evening and at dawn. Generally 4-5C all night.
    Grass min -4.0C

Quite warm today, temp is now 13.7C!

Low of 4.9c and high 12.4c
    Temp was dropping away nicely last night untill the wind picked up and high cloud came over.

Mothman wrote:
    Colder than with me!

Min of +1.4C both in the evening and at dawn. Generally 4-5C all night.
    Grass min -4.0C

Quite warm today, temp is now 13.7C!
    It's amazing the difference a few miles makes isnt it? Remember the 29c (was it) versus my 23c one day during the summer.
    We had clear skies and no wind last night which accounts for the cold I suppose.

Max today was 12c here and its down to 4.9c now with no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not as cold last night -2.5c
    Max yesterday was 8.9c

Danno wrote:
    Not as cold last night -2.5c
    Max yesterday was 8.9c
    Absolutely amazing Danno as every other met station in the land is well above zero...
    Kilkenny is +2c and the rest are between +6c and +12c

Currently here 8.9c so theres a 12c difference between you and me at the moment on a calmish (west at 7mph) night...

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    Absolutely amazing Danno as every other met station in the land is well above zero...
    Kilkenny is +2c and the rest are between +6c and +12c
    Pretty sure Danno is reporting last nights low and not his current temp.

Official max with me today was 14.7C, clearly a foehn effect at play. Temp then fell to 4C, but rose 5C during 20 minutes (2c in 5 mins) when some wind picked up, and is now fallng again.

In fact I'll attach a graph. Top part has Air temp, Dewpoint and grass temp.

Mothman wrote:
    Pretty sure Danno is reporting last nights low and not his current temp.
    You're right (as usual :o )

I thought I saw "as cold as" instead which made me think it was tonight he was talking about.

You do have some wicked fluctuations alright Mothman.Your probably right with the fohn effect,any sort of west wind will rise your temps coming down off the mountains and temps will plummet when wind dies down.

Looking at your website the other evening your temps where up and down for sure.

Snowbie wrote:
    You do have some wicked fluctuations alright Mothman.Your probably right with the fohn effect,any sort of west wind will rise your temps coming down off the mountains and temps will plummet when wind dies down.

Looking at your website the other evening your temps where up and down for sure.

I know this is sort of off topic for this thread.
    I'm attaching a temperature graph for past 24hrs. This is why I have a weather station :D

You can see my lowest temp, so does have some relevance to thread ;)

As with previous night when Kilkenny dropped to -2.7C some 3C lower than anywhere else, Kilkenny dropped to 0C last night, again about 3C lower than any of the other synoptic stations.

The coldest temp recorded during these frosty nights was -4.0C at Mullingar on morning of the 3rd.

Most of us will remember the cold 2nd half to Nov last year. Well only Casement recorded lower than -4.0C

If these temps had just been 3-4days earlier in Oct, it would have resulted in some Oct low records going.

Isn't Life full of "Ifs" :)

Last nights low (if you can call it that) 5.7c at 703am

I have made this thread a sticky.

Air frost (just) this morning
    Grass -5C, very frosty looking.

Also Kilkenny & Mullingar down to 0C

Should be no frost tonight.

Beautifull misty hoar frost again this morning with a sunny Blue sky.

Min was +0.9c at 4.04am (currently +4.5c)

Cloudy most of the night but when it broke it plummeted to only 5c with a very slight frost.

temps have taken a 1c drop in 40mins to 5.7c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp already down to 4.3C here now, but i think it's to warm up again as the night goes on

Temperature has fallen 2c in 10 mins and still droping.Looks to be a cold one to night

Nearly an air frost already
    below -5C on grass..

Ditto here

Air temp dropping like a stone
    Now 1.4c

DP -0.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

There's something wrong with Bray:), temp has risen to 6.4C, with a dp of -0.4

Calling the Repair crew to Bray.

Repair Crew to Bray please :D

Creeping slowly towards an air frost-very slowly

Now 0.8c DP almost -1c

4.3c now 4.4 as i type.Enough said.Dp, huh so what

Arklow by pass was one of the coldest NRA stations at the last hour which is rare,its also one of only 2 or 3 that are totally calm.

Completely calm here.

Air temp edging closer and closer to 0
    Now +0.6c with a DP of -1c

Temp is definitely on the up here.4.9c dp 0.6c
    Crystal clear out side with a sw to w wind blowin.

• Advertisement

Getting closer...

+0.3c

DP -1.3c

Flat calm

Advertisement