Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker in the CV

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

RoundTower wrote:
    El Stuntman do you think that what allegedly happened to maximus is "illegal"? You have very little credibility in my eyes if you don't tell me it was and explain why.

wow, my credibility is at risk :eek:. Better answer so...

my original comment was about using CC transactional history to form some or all of the basis of a credit rating. If you look at the website of the Irish Credit Bureau, you'll see that allowable (for forming a credit rating) credit card information is opening balance/closing balance, card cancellations/revokations, average balance etc.

In short, what you spend your money on is your business - as long as you repay the c.c. issuer within the T&C that your card was issued under. So if you are a compulsive shoe shopper/alcoholic/purchaser of lapdances/poker player (there goes half the population) - none of this really matters as long as you repay. So the moral of the story is always repay your loans in full, on time.

Maximus posted his story after my comment and tbh, I don't know if the bank official's conduct was technically illegal here. If I (with an unblemished credit history) went into my local AIB and asked for 5k for a personal loan and the bank manager said 'no way Jose', started waving around my credit card statement and pointing to GJP deposits with an accusing finger, I would close my account immediately and make a formal complaint to the financial ombudsman. I'd also call the data commissioner to see if my personal sensitive data had been used illegally. I would also make a complaint to the bank itself.

I don't know Maximus's credit history so wouldn't like to comment on his personal credit circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Right in the end i decided to leave it out of my CV alltogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

wow, my credibility is at risk :eek:. Better answer so...
    I don't know Maximus's credit history so wouldn't like to comment on his personal credit circumstances.
    well Dave?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I think that was a good answer

RoundTower wrote:
    Mods sticky this please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ghost-snot

ar ya mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

RoundTower wrote:
    Mods sticky this please.

lol, seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

so how do I explain the last few years if the worst comes to the worst and online poker gets killed by superbots in two years times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

so how do I explain the last few years if the worst comes to the worst and online poker gets killed by superbots in two years times!

tell them you were doing an extended stint of charity work in some poor country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

It would be very funny to have that on my cv, dont mention which country; just leave it at "some poor country"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Working with poor people, lol.

That should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

thread on 2p2 a while back where they were asking pro players what they responded when asked the question "so what do you work at?".. The best response was "I work with retards"..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

"I've been working on a conceptual art project. But it didn't quite pan out the way i wanted it to."

It would be very funny to have that on my cv, dont mention which country; just leave it at "some poor country"
    +1.

In San Diego a group of my friends were talking to some dumb american girls and they told them that they spend the first 4 weeks of the summer "helping baby elephants cross a river". guaranteed action.

a quote my cousin always comes out with mid-story "the look on those little colour`d kids faces makes it all worthwhile"

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭The_Daddy_H

I've worked in a dealing room. Saying that a huge percentage of traders are poker players is very questionable and also does it really matter? If 80% are poker players, most of them are still probably rubbish, don't take it seriously or even try to think about it on a higher level like most people on this forum. They just play casually, for fun or with their mates just like most other "poker players". There's a big difference to most players and the people on here. Generally, most poker players are just gamblers whether they work in Finance or whatever.

Listen to Pillowtalk and leave it off the cv. Putting it on there just on the off chance you might have someone with a boards type mentality interviewing you (if you even get an interview) would be bloody risky and pretty dumb.

The sort of traders we're talking about here are the ones who deal in financial derivatives for millions of dollars, not clapped out hi-aces and linoleum. Trust me these guys are very smart and will have a deep appreciation and respect for what it takes to be a winning high stakes player.

What about putting down poker dealing for work experience, does that not imply that i must have some sort of interest in the game? should i deny it at interview?
    Its really the only job ive had since coming to college so i dont know!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭The_Daddy_H

Advertisement