Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my bus fire experience

Options
  • 31-10-2006 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

you might have read or seen this on the news over the last couple of days.

i was going down to carlow with 9 friends of mine on sunday for a party. We were getting the Dublin-Waterford bus and everything was going fine until we were driving through Blessington.

I said to my mate that i could smell smoke, and he agreed. He looked to his feet and saw smoke rising from under his feet. We then knew something was wrong and so i then warned my friends to get up and out of the bus, this was really confusing to them because they hadnt a clue what was goin on.....

then everyone copped on when then bus driver stopped the bus and opened the emergency exit. I have to say the bus driver was a hero although not all the passengers thought so, i saw some passengers giving out to him, probably about his luggage on the bus but it clearly wasnt the drivers fault.

When everyone copped on the seriousness of the situation they set into panic mode. i was getting pushed and so i got out the emergency exit and saw flames under the bus, i was thinking "this is gonna blow!"

i left my bag and jacket on the bus but it turns out my mate had taken the bag with him!! My wallet and money were in my jacket but i stil think i was better off with my life!!

everyone got off the bus and within 20 minutes the whole bus was ablaze.
    i was i little bit shaken and my hands were less than steady. No one could believe had happened but at least everyone was alive.

1 factor that could have potentially saved our lives was that a car behind us was beeping at us to try let the driver know that there was smoke coming from the back. When the driver saw this, he stopped.

everyone got their luggage from the bag storage but some of it was damaged and all of them stank of fire.

alot of people lost stuff that they left behind and im sure will be going for compensation.

they sent another bus out and we carried on, but not everyone got back on the bus, i dont know why they didnt get on, maybe feared it would happen again, because i saw people that looked really shook up by this.

after the fire was put out i asked the fireman what caused the fire but he said he didnt know. I told him where i was siting(very back, right over where it started) and he sadi that me and my friands were very lucky to be here. That kind of hit me that if the driver behind us didnt warn us of the smoke then the bus could have blown as we drove....which would have killed my friends and I first :eek:

it was an experience i will never forget and now im just wondering how bus eireann can let these buses on the road and if it could happen again but the next time there could be lives lost.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Holy smoke (apologies for pun hon;) )
    Thank God you are alright, could have been catastrophic. How old was the bus? Seems like Bus Eireann are still sending antiquated vehicles on long journeys. One would think they would have learnt a lesson after the tragedy in Navan last year.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

oh and here is a picture my mate took, our seats were nothing but metal frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Sweet.Baby.Jesus.
    How do you feel today? Are you a bit shell shocked? You had such a lucky escape!!!!!

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Thank God you are alright, could have been catastrophic. How old was the bus? Seems like Bus Eireann are still sending antiquated vehicles on long journeys. One would think they would have learnt a lesson after the tragedy in Navan last year.:mad:

thats the thing, the bus was only a '03 reg:eek:

we were shocked and cant wiat for results as to what happened...im guessing some kind of electrical thing but one pasenher said he saw oil leeking but ill wait for the experts to decide!!

im ok now i think, i just keep on thinking back and thinking "no that couldnt have happened" but then you think "yes it did"

its a weird feeling!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Wow! That's pretty scary stuff, I am really glad your ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yikes! Poor maintainence is sadly all too likely, I get the impression they do bearly enough which may down to incompetence or lazyness but it could a result of lack of resources/time when a bus goes in for scheduled work.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mad stuff, glad you are safe and well anyway OP. I can see why some people were afraid to get back on the bus though.

ye maybe more time is need for more services on bus eireann buses, it doesnt matter how much money they spend, if it saves even 1 life they did something right

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

thats the thing, the bus was only a '03 reg:eek:
    Ah well in that case 'they don't make them like they used to'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Yikes! That's really frightening. You're lucky to be alive. I'm glad you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Wow! So there is no suspect of foul play?
    That is just wild!
    Glad you are safe and all in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Did anyone get hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Miss Fluff wrote:

Try not to leap to conclusions, you have absolutely no idea what factors were involved.

bluto63 wrote:
    Did anyone get hurt?

no thank god, just peopler shook up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Meh, diesel doesn't explode. I was working one day in a petrol station and a car caught fire just off the forecourt. I went out to try put it out, while some one rang the fire brigade, but couldn't get in to the engine. After about 10 minutes there was still no one arriving, so I rang 999 again, and pointed out that the flaming car was about 15 feet from 70,000 gallons of petrol. The woman on the phone was like "Oh, we didn't realise that" about 3 brigades, 4 squad cars and a detectives car turned up. Almost as crazy as when some one "Accidently" pressed the panic alarm.

Good that no one was hurt though.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry for your troubles chillywilly :eek:.
    i then warned my friends to get up and out of the bus, this was really confusing to them because they hadnt a clue
    I presume you said that the bus was on fire. What is confusing about that? Are your friends of sound mind?
    i was thinking "this is gonna blow!"
    Diesel does not tend to 'blow' unlike petrol.
    im just wondering how bus eireann can let these buses on the road
    It's a bit unfair to blame Bus Eireann at this stage. It could be a manufacturers fault or it could be malicious.

Some buses have engine fire extinguishers which engage automatically when a fire begin. I thought BE had installed these? Maybe some of BE/DB Boardies could confirm/deny.

after the fire was put out i asked the fireman what caused the fire but he said he didnt know. I told him where i was siting(very back, right over where it started) and he sadi that me and my friands were very lucky to be here. That kind of hit me that if the driver behind us didnt warn us of the smoke then the bus could have blown as we drove....which would have killed my friends and I first :eek:

Although I can see why you would think that, it is very unlikely that the fire would have spread to the passenger area while the bus was moving at speed.

It is not unusual for bus fires to go like this, the airflow through the engine bay keeps the fire contained until the bus is stopped. Once stopped it only takes a few minutes for the fire to take hold.

Diesel is not nearly as flammable as people think, it is not often that diesel tanks explode even in serious fires and certainly not before it is obvious that there is a serious problem.
    it was an experience i will never forget and now im just wondering how bus eireann can let these buses on the road and if it could happen again but the next time there could be lives lost.

:confused:

Bus fires do happen, it can be a sign of poor maintenance but it can also just be bad luck.

Odds are that there was a fuel leak in the engine bay or possibly an oil leak.

There is a weakness with the design of certain bus engine layouts, the fuel line can break and the way it is is positioned it sprays fuel on the hottest parts of the engine.

Buses are more prone to these faults turning into fires because of the extensive heat shielding around the engine bay. It does seem to be a bigger issue with newer designs than old ones, probably because the engine bays are more cramped to maximise load space.

There has been a spate of fires in numerous fleets with a number of different types of buses in recent years, Both CIE companies have had them as well as a number of other operators in the UK and Europe, there was a particular problem with new Mercedes bendy buses in London and elsewhere a few years ago.

AFAIK there have been no serious injuries in any of these incidents, luckily there has been enough time to evacuate before the fires have taken hold.

Sorry for your troubles chillywilly :eek:.

I presume you said that the bus was on fire. What is confusing about that? Are your friends of sound mind?

I was thinking that myself. Anyone that is confused by "bus on fire, get the fuk out" needs looking at.

Some buses have engine fire extinguishers which engage automatically when a fire begin. I thought BE had installed these? Maybe some of BE/DB Boardies could confirm/deny.

I would have thought this bus would have had, it is a modern design and BE tend to buy high-spec levels for their coaches.

this
    is the type of coach involved, the spec sheet may say so.

I am not aware of fires being a common occourence with these coaches, BE have 40 of them. There have been a number of fires on other Volvo city buses with BE and DB recently however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote:
    Yikes! Poor maintainence is sadly all too likely
    Damn right.

The bus was obviously diesel-powered. You could throw a match into a bucket of diesel and it won't ignite.

Meaning there was some serious issue with the engine (you say you were at the back of the bus when you noticed the smoke).

I'm surpised the incident didn't make the papers, given recent Bus-Eireann sponsored trajedies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

the bus was only a '03 reg:eek:
    Christ.I'll join in with a ":eek:"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lump wrote:
    After about 10 minutes there was still no one arriving, so I rang 999 again, and pointed out that the flaming car was about 15 feet from 70,000 gallons of petrol. The woman on the phone was like "Oh, we didn't realise that" about 3 brigades, 4 squad cars and a detectives car turned up.
    Neighbour's fuse board .... exploded. 4 fire trucks, 4 Garda cars.

They take that ****e seriously ;)

I was thinking that myself. Anyone that is confused by "bus on fire, get the fuk out" needs looking at.

i think confused was a bad word, its just that in this kind of unlikely situation when someone tells you the bus is on fire i think they were just looking at me thinking "ye right" or "is he serious" or went into shock possibly, my friends are not idiots, and please no one comeback saying something like "yes they are" as i said its different when this is actually happening to you, a thousand things run through your mind.
    Diesel does not tend to 'blow' unlike petrol.

ok fair enough, but when you see flames under a bus i think most people would think "get the fook away, it could blow up". am i wrong?:confused:
    It's a bit unfair to blame Bus Eireann at this stage. It could be a manufacturers fault or it could be malicious.

ye its true, im going to have to wait for an investigation.

I'm surpised the incident didn't make the papers, given recent Bus-Eireann sponsored trajedies.

it did, it was in the star on monday, pg 2 and they were talking about it on joe duffy apparently but i missed it:rolleyes:

Meh, I've been in a similar situation as described above, and I don't think a million things go through your mind. I think the main this is that you get off the bus!

John

well i didnt think "meh", i felt my life was in danger, but people react in different ways i suppose

Oh well, you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On a similar topic:

I heard reports that a Dublin Bus 'bendi' was destroyed by fire this evening at Harristown. Any of our regular Dublin Bus drivers know anything about it?

(Mods - Could this thread be moved to Commuting and Transport?)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There have been a few issues with the VC series buses, but the one you've shown is a good bit newer.

It might have been a short-circuit in the battery system or its charger: automotive batteries can supply large amounts of current (because they need to be able to start the engine) so a short circuit can be very serious if it's in an unfused area.

Another possibility is faulty diesel heaters if the bus was fitted with them (i'm not sure whether the BE saloons as a rule have diesel or engine-coolant heaters), although newer volvo buses tend to have genuine Eberspacher units which have an unbeaten safety record.
    EDIT: If i'm right (and the above poster is a BE driver) he might be able to shed some light on whether they've diesel or engine units

Advertisement