Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Yeah well spotted SpaceHopper. I'm gonna head down to Killiney about half 1 looks like there could be waves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Spacehopper is fecking with your brain, not a chance of surf in Killiney today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Spacehopper is fecking with your brain, not a chance of surf in Killiney today

Good chacne for tomorrow.

ngp10.sgwvht.024.atlantic.gif

Don't know how you can say that with an ultra high low tide

Yeah you were right rodento, there were waves but the neap tides we're in at the moment meant they were pretty small and period was only 3-4secs. Real shame, will have to go west so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tinerua

Gonna try for Wednesday morning at Portmarnock. Haven't got the luxury of headin west at the drop of a hat with my two little ones in tow. Gotta take what I can get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

are there any decent places in Dublin to surf Cheers

No.

Good chacne for tomorrow.

ngp10.sgwvht.024.atlantic.gif
    Spacehopper how can you say there is a good chance of surf in killiney today when conditions will make it unsurfable, with really strong onshore winds and no suitable tide.

In those contitions killiney will be a really dangerous place

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

There will be waves today in and near Dublin, just got to find the sheltered points and bays! Espec with the wind dropping around mid morning for a while, will be decent conditions til bout 4 when it picks up again. (find yourself a headland or a pier to surf beside)

rodento wrote: »
    Spacehopper how can you say there is a good chance of surf in killiney today when conditions will make it unsurfable, with really strong onshore winds and no suitable tide.

In those contitions killiney will be a really dangerous place

Ratty I’d said before that killiney isn’t beginner friendly but Bray and MM would be worth a look .

By the way the wind has dropped http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/index.php

• Advertisement

Spacy I'm not getting at you, we have no idea how good a surfer Morf3h is. With the current tides, no rocks will show on the bouldery point, yet waves will break close to the shore.

That kinda of combo is nasty

I appreciate the concern rodento but I've been out in White rock for the past three years. I'm down here now on killiney beach nthinking of taking the longboard out. It's messy at White rock. Just watched a guy try to paddle out for the last 20 mins.

Ahhh! I'm ragin! Can't make it out today cuz I've no one to mind the little ones. Did anyone go to Portmarnock today? How was it? Maybe it's best I don't know... :(

Few people out In killiney now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davidino

tinerua wrote: »
    Ahhh! I'm ragin! Can't make it out today cuz I've no one to mind the little ones. Did anyone go to Portmarnock today? How was it? Maybe it's best I don't know... :(

I was in Portmarnock from 11:30 to 14:00, I took some photo.
    Link today's photo:
    http://www.alwaysaroundtheworld.com/sports/surf/ireland/dublin_area/photo/photo_dublin_area.html.

Morf3h wrote: »
    Few people out In killiney now

Sorry but when you write about Killiney you mean the killiney beach or other place ?.

davidino wrote: »
    I was in Portmarnock from 11:30 to 14:00, I took some photo.
    Link today's photo:
    http://www.alwaysaroundtheworld.com/sports/surf/ireland/dublin_area/photo/photo_dublin_area.html.
    Damn! That looks nice. Wish I had been there.

Will somebody go in Killiney or Portmanrock tomorrow ?

Will somebody go in Killiney or Portmanrock tomorrow ?

I'd like to try for Portmarnock myself but I don't know if the conditions will be as good as today. I'm still kind of new to reading all these online charts like windguru and such.

tinerua wrote: »
    I'd like to try for Portmarnock myself but I don't know if the conditions will be as good as today. I'm still kind of new to reading all these online charts like windguru and such.
    If you decide to go write my a post, maybe we'll can met there.

• Advertisement

Hi!
    Did someone see Portmanrock this morning ?
    Because I saw that there is a good wind from North-East maybe there are same wave

Could anyone suggest me which is the best, Portmanrock or Killiney, for next Thursday and Wendesday ?
    I saw the forecast, will be a strong N-NE wind, when do you think is the better time to go surfing, morning or afternoon ? I mean for the wave of course.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Could anyone suggest me which is the best, Portmanrock or Killiney, for next Thursday and Wendesday ?
    I saw the forecast, will be a strong N-NE wind, when do you think is the better time to go surfing, morning or afternoon ? I mean for the wave of course.

Thanks

I'd suggest you go look for yourself. They are only 40 mins apart, check out each one, note the conditions and remember for next time. Thats how most people do it.

Alternatively head west, all the good surf is there.

kodute wrote: »
    I'd suggest you go look for yourself. They are only 40 mins apart, check out each one, note the conditions and remember for next time. Thats how most people do it.

Alternatively head west, all the good surf is there.

Hi Kodute.
    I saw you live in Galway,maybe next Saturday and Sunday I will be in Lahinch.
    The forecast doesn't to gave waves, you think is possible to go surfing ?
    I'm a beginner, I surfing only 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Hi Kodute.

Outlook not so good for the weekend. Wed/Thurs looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Davidino,

The West Coast Surf Club are having their Christmas party in Lahinch on the Saturday night - head to Kennys. There is a bit of a board swapsie planned for the afternoon, there are likely to be plenty of longboards around. Make yourself known and you might get a surf if there are a few waves

Hi Kodute.

Killiney works best on low tided but has a lot of rocks in the shore line and isn’t good for beginners so give it a miss, you could look at Bray or Portmarnaock. There is a beach south of Wicklow called Maghermore that works on a South swell / wind but it is not safe on a north swell / wind even for experienced surfers so steer clear of it this week.

What you suggest for this week-end, go to Lahinch or stay in Bray?

Stay local, driving conditions will be leathal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

If you go west Streedagh or Rossnowlagh look the most likely to have a sheltered wave but not sure if worth the risk if the snow comes....Bray and Portmarnock will be worth a look as long as the wind stays northerly so no harm in popping along to either...you'll have to be kitted out in the early morn dark for Killiney but should be decent, not worth your while though if still learning..Dumps fast and not much of a whitewash run so Bray or Prtmarnock if u get a board and wetsuit!

Advertisement