Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to enable another 100 exchanges - Broadband available to 120k more ppl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

netwhizkid wrote:
    Durrus in West Cork was also enabled last year and it too has a low population. However the reason it was done was that it has a Fibre Optic Cable to the Exchange from Bantry and backhaul was easy to provide. Most smaller often Rural Exchanges are worked off Microwave Radio Links and for to enable the exchanges they have to do some upgrading to these links which costs more.

However overall the cost of providing broadband to Eircom is minimal (their broadband being the Ryanair compared to the continent) and the only incentives on them to provide it is to muscle out the opposition which usually is a local wireless company. Eircom makes more money out of Dial-up than out of Broadband and everyone using Dial-up should move to an alternate provider for both Internet and phone call if at all possible.

I am using BT Ireland Dial-up for over a year in my boycott of Eircom over their failure to roll-out Broadband. I am even dumping my Meteor service and moving to O2 as part of my boycott of the Eircom/B&B Group.
    every little helps I guess but im on eircom isdn so im not much help

I can now understand why they havent upgraded our exchange so getting some wireless company to come here would more than likely help us a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

watty wrote:
    Doesn't your BT Dialup still give most of the profit to eircom?

Yeah you are right, but at least Eircom aren't making as much out of it as they would if I was an Eircom-Net Customer. Plus BT Dial-up is cheaper than Eircom Net. BT Anytime 180. Hopefully something might materialise in the come-up to the election now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

will there be any more exchanges upgraded in Tipperary

Dundrum was mention before ,that has dsl for a good bit now probly a few years and thats only 15 mins away from where i live

........... ...... ........... cashel

drundrum ... .... .........golden(where i live)

........ ........... . tipperary town

so as you can see broadband all around me but my exchange which is pretty close to the house hasnt been upgraded
    and i cant see it happening either

any advice lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

100 exhanges on this list

anyone have any idea the correct number of exhanges still to be upgreaded,but not on this list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

OMG my line came up may be suitable just now!!!!!!! wwoooop wwooop...

On the Oulart Exchange in Wexford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*fingers crossed* (I'm 100meters from teh Oulart exchange but I guess I could be getting this possibility from another exchange?)

• Advertisement

will there be any more exchanges upgraded in Tipperary

Dundrum was mention before ,that has dsl for a good bit now probly a few years and thats only 15 mins away from where i live

........... ...... ........... cashel

drundrum ... .... .........golden(where i live)

........ ........... . tipperary town

so as you can see broadband all around me but my exchange which is pretty close to the house hasnt been upgraded
    and i cant see it happening either

any advice lads
    it was a complete fluke in my opinion that dundrum got dsl, its a ghost town besides the disco... good memories
    as for golden it dosnt matter if your surrounded by towns with upgraded exchanges that dosn't give any incentive for eircom to upgrade it
    and from my experience of golden its not exactly the biggest town

1huge1 wrote:
    it was a complete fluke in my opinion that dubdrum got dsl, its a ghost town besides the disco... good memories
    as for golden it dosnt matter if your surrounded by towns with upgraded exchanges that dosn't give any incentive for eircom to upgrade it
    and from my experience of golden its not exactly the biggest town
    dundrum got it because of the steel works there

cant see golden ever getting it

100 exhanges on this list

anyone have any idea the correct number of exhanges still to be upgreaded,but not on this list?
    does anyone have a rough estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

does anyone have a rough estimate?
    After this lot of exchanges is done they have no plans to upgrade anymore until the government give them the money to do the rest.

After this lot of exchanges is done they have no plans to upgrade anymore until the government give them the money to do the rest.
    can anyone see the government doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My brand new line fails. Oh joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Oh the government will....

ya the government will for sure, they recognise how much of a botch they made of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The government should intervene and forcibly nationalise the Eircom Network and transfer the Eircom Technicians into a new State Owned and State Run Telecommunications Network.

There should be full local loop unbundling and the State Run Network should be prevented from offering any services except the Network. The Line Rental that is currently paid could be used alongside general taxation to fund the roll out of broadband and rebuild the shambles that is the network.

More workers are also needed one of the big problems currently in Eircom is it is drastically understaffed, while staffed by the same workers from the pre-privatisation era of Telecom Eireann. During that time it was overstaffed and laziness and the general bad attitude of the Civil Service was shown. Eircom now as a private company still has the lazy workers with their bad civil service attitude.

The workers own 35% of Eircom and have probably the strongest Union in Ireland the Communications Workers Union "CWU". Many were bought off with big voluntary redundancy payments to cut down the numbers.

Eircom's Network needs to be taken back into state hands and let Eircom compete then with the likes of BT, Smart and Perlico in a fair unbundled network. FTTH should also be rolled out and this would reduce the maintenance costs massively while delivering an excellent service, which would be future proof. For every new Copper Line Eircom currently installs the costs are 80% Labour 20% materials, yet they continue to use ancient 19th century copper.

I would suggest making this an election issue and raise it with the candidates of all parties. But remember the whole mess is a Fianna Fail/PD's created problem and remember it when you cast your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Eircom (or at least the infrastructure end of it) should never have been sold in the first place.

It was crazy......an infrastructure that was essential to society and business, paid for by us through our taxes, was sold - and some people even "bought" what the country owned.

I used to like the PDs, but their capitalism and privatisation agenda has screwed up essential services in this country.

Yes, ditch the "civil service" mechanics and get proper company management styles in, but keep the bloody core infrastructure and privatise the people-management and paperwork ONLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

netwhizkid wrote:
    The government should intervene and forcibly nationalise the Eircom Network and transfer the Eircom Technicians into a new State Owned and State Run Telecommunications Network.
    No. What we need is proper competition like many other EU countries in our situation have our problem isn't that Eircom is a private company it's that there is no competition and there is no way to force it open. Comreg is spineless and powerless we need the French Comreg and their laws :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ya, what we need is a strong regulator and a government that cares. The telco's will invest if they can compete on a fair playing field.

Ya I have to agree with the other two, going back to the days of a state owned telecommunications company is a bad idea no matter how much of a grip you have on them, the clear solution is to give comreg some decent powers and really get them to get eircom to budge which does seem to be happening but at a slow pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

When it comes to this "exchange X will never be upgraded", it's bollocks. The technology is getting cheaper and better all the time and demand is increasing. Whether the government pays for it or not, eircom will eventually enable all exchanges. It's just a matter of when it happens.

I ordered a phone line for broadband last summer. It finally got put in the other week (after waiting half a year!). Now Eircom tell me that they won't know if I can get broadband until April.

Babcock & Brown are a joke, it would appear. I'm pretty much ready to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine if they cannot get their house in order.

The engineer was kind enough to not put in a split line, which should be capable, and I'm 3 miles from the Ballyhaunis exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I ordered a phone line for broadband last summer. It finally got put in the other week (after waiting half a year!). Now Eircom tell me that they won't know if I can get broadband until April.

Babcock & Brown are a joke, it would appear. I'm pretty much ready to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine if they cannot get their house in order.

The engineer was kind enough to not put in a split line, which should be capable, and I'm 3 miles from the Ballyhaunis exchange.

Well getting a line is a good Start. Now read Eircoms charter and claim at least the first bills as compensation for having to wait more than 3 weeks to get the line in.
    Similar applies to anyone thats waiting for more than 3 working days to get a line fault corrected. Well 3 working days after the fault is reported. Your entitled to claim that months line rental. This one i know as i have claimed on it in the past. So be sure to grab the nearest mobile when you have a fault report to make. Cos the clock for 3 working days starts as soon as its reported.

theres a good lot of people in my area who wants wireless broadband

whats the next step to incourage a suplier like premier broadband to come to my area

start a petition ?

how can we get a grant from the Government

hold a gun to bertys head and say you wont shoot.they will do ANYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Urban Weigl, what do you mean you ordered a phone line?

shortys94 wrote:
    Urban Weigl, what do you mean you ordered a phone line?

I called 1901 and placed an order for a landline. Sorry for the confusion, I should have stated that I was talking about a landline and not a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

theres a good lot of people in my area who wants wireless broadband
    Which part of the Country are you in?
    thegills

theres only 300 peeps on my echance....mostof them old people who would have no interest in broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

Is there anyway of knowing when eircom plan to upgrade an exchange? I called them in relation to Kinvara in Galway and got fobbed off completely. It's been 10 months now and still no movement that I'm aware of.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, there's not really any way of finding out from the phone drones. Engineers may have more information, but not always. When people ring, they're usually told, "Oh yeah, the next few months", or, "Your exchange is due to be upgraded early next year". Largely though it's just to get people off the phone, because they don't want to say, "I don't know, and I can't find out".

Have a look into the 3G offerings from Voda, Three and O2. They'll be much better value soon enough as the competition hots up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alteregoZR

Any update on the Carbury exchange getting upgraded?? It's on the list and still no joy

Advertisement