Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

PomBear wrote: »
    There are more than 2 parties in this country may I point out, true most other options being leftist which wouldn't suit the posters but there are alternatives

Is this a coming up next week, Part Two Answer?
    Put us out of our misery, Who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

[QUOTE=scr123;64906756 The origins of FG are are in the 1930's when a certain element in Irish society decorated themselves in a particular colour shirt.[/QUOTE]

It really isn't. Most of its original members were Cumann na nGaedheal (formerly pro-Treaty FF), with a few from the National Centre Party and a few Blueshirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I would actually support a Fianna Fail-Fine Gael national government

I would support this only to showcase how similar the two parties are, and to show how they would both do more-or-less the same for both our society and economy (very little), then perhaps with their flaws highlighted, some sort of decent opposition to the annoyingly comfortable centre-right, sell-out-our-nation crap might emerge.

Otherwise elections will continue to be more or less a case of flipping a coin which has "heads" on both sides. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I would support this only to showcase how similar the two parties are, and to show how they would both do more-or-less the same for both our society and economy (very little), then perhaps with their flaws highlighted, some sort of decent opposition to the annoyingly comfortable centre-right, sell-out-our-nation crap might emerge.

Otherwise elections will continue to be more or less a case of flipping a coin which has "heads" on both sides. :(

How about a left wing merger of Sinn Fein and Labour, a centre right merger of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael would be needed as well. It would finally consign outdated civil war politics to the asheap of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

Fine Gael for definite. FF really only dominated the centre ground even with their alliance with the PDs. Even though the PDs and the economic orthodoxy of the Western world influenced FF policy over recent years, FF couldn't be described as a Tory-lite party. They're more like New Labour actually to be honest (excluding their tendency to affiliate themselves more with the Irish conservative psyche as a part of their populist history).

Looking back in history FG seems to have been economically conservative and relatively socially conservative since its inception. I know Garret Fitzgerald and the Just Society programmes would say otherwise but sure the British Tories dabbled in Social Democracy themselves in the 60s. FG have always had to change their political direction if it looked as if the more populist FF were going in their direction or, alternatively, when they had to organisae Coalitions with Labour.

All in all though I would say Fine Gael would be what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

FF - your grandad got shot durin de Civvil Waur and survived/died (delete as appropriate)

FG - your grandad got shot durin de Civvil Waur and survived/died (delete as appropriate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

SamKirker wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm a member of the British Conservative Party in London and will soon be moving to Dublin. I want to remain involved in political activism and am trying to suss out the different political parties here. Other Tories seem split in who I should align myself with. Basically I can't see much of a difference between FF and FG. Could anyone tell me what the fundamental differences are? What party would be closest to the Conservatives?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! It's nice to meet you all and I can't wait to come to your great country. :)

There's no party in Ireland similar to the Tories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

OP, There's a very Euro-skeptical, pro-nationalist party called Eirigi who might just be the thing your looking for, their big fans of social policies much in vogue with Cameronites at the moment and they also hate labor with a passion. I'd suggest you get in touch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm intrigued as to how funjunkie found this thread to resurrect it from them dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued as to how funjunkie found this thread to resurrect it from them dead.

it's on the first page of google for "Differences between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey folks,

I'm a member of the British Conservative Party in London and will soon be moving to Dublin. I want to remain involved in political activism and am trying to suss out the different political parties here. Other Tories seem split in who I should align myself with. Basically I can't see much of a difference between FF and FG. Could anyone tell me what the fundamental differences are? What party would be closest to the Conservatives?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! It's nice to meet you all and I can't wait to come to your great country. :)

Welcome and best of luck in Ireland and with Irish politics(god help you)
    Avoid at all costs both those parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Well in the European Parliament

FG are allied with Germany's CDU, Berlusconi's Forza Italia, and France's UMP.

FF are allied with Italy's 'post fascist' National Alliance, Denmark's anti-immigration Danish People's Party, and Poland's Catholic church supporting, anti drug legalisation, anti abortion and anti gay rights Law And Justice Party.

So take your pick.

It would seem from the above that Sgt, sensible is a certainly a Fianna Fáil supporter. :)
    What he neglects to mention was that

1. ( Facism) the first leader of Fine Gael was Eoin O Duffy who was leader of Ireland's fascist Blueshirts who supported Franco's fascists in the Spanish Civil War.

2. ( Immigration) The last Fianna Fáil regime oversaw the biggest influx of immigrants ever into Ireland. And brought in related legislation.

3. ( Church) Post Eoin O Duffy FG was in every bit as Catholic church supporting as FF.

4. ( Drugs) All leaders of FF FG Labour SF and Greens have stated they are not pro drug legalisation.

5. ( Gays) The Civil Partnership Bill was brought in by the outgoing FF administration. A current FG Minister Lucinda Crighton was one of its objectors.

4. FG are every bit as anti abortion as FF. Labour are split on the matter many being vocally pro abortion and atheist.

6. FG are certainly historically more "law and Justice Party" than FF. Right back to setting up the state and having a rump in the police and Army who detained FF "Republicans".

Economically they are practically identical. FG will implement the policies of FF and areboth pro free trade cutting spending and lower tax. Labour would be more into bigger civil service and trade union involvement, more spending or less cuts over a longer period and increased taxation.

My advice is

Go and read the history and don't just accept unsupported opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Fianna_Fail
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fine_gael

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

How about a left wing merger of Sinn Fein and Labour, a centre right merger of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael would be needed as well. It would finally consign outdated civil war politics to the asheap of history.

Not really. A FF FG mergr before the last election would give them 130 seat. A current merger about 100 seats. Showing the civil war origins of the Parliament are still there today.

A SF Lab GP Soc merger would have given them about 30 and currently about 55.

While FF/FG have a lot in common and are probably identical on economics the "Left" are all over the place with respect to economic policy in particular ( or lack of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hey folks,

Judging by your own political background I would say either the Christian Solidarity Party or Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

The difference between FF and the rest:

FF destroyed the country through their actions and inactions during their time in power, costing the country hundreds of billions, as well as our full independence. We will be dealing with the fallout from this disaster for decades.

The others didn't. Thats the only difference that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

transylman wrote: »
    The difference between FF and the rest:

FF destroyed the country through their actions and inactions during their time in power, costing the country hundreds of billions, as well as our full independence. We will be dealing with the fallout from this disaster for decades.

The others didn't. Thats the only difference that counts.

Eh, it wasn't all Fianna Fáil fault although they have a lot of the blame.

Labour were and still are heavily involved with the Unions who only created another problem and got the country into debt even further with the public sector.

Fine Gael were corrupted when they were in power, just look at Michael Lowry. Fine Gael will be in power for quite a long time - maybe anyother 10 years and at the end of it people will realise that they were just as bad as Fianna Fáil.

All the top 3 parties have a history of corruption, so does Sinn Féin.

Ireland needs a new set of political parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Labour were and still are heavily involved with the Unions who only created another problem and got the country into debt even further with the public sector.

Remind us again who brought in benchmarking ?
    Fine Gael were corrupted when they were in power, just look at Michael Lowry. Fine Gael will be in power for quite a long time - maybe anyother 10 years and at the end of it people will realise that they were just as bad as Fianna Fáil.

Lowry was kicked out. That's a massive difference. Corrupt FF members are lauded and excused and praised and condoned.
    Ireland needs a new set of political parties!

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Fine Gael will be in power for quite a long time - maybe anyother 10 years

this current govt won't last another eighteen months, never mind a full term, let alone two.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

[QUOTE=Killer Pigeon;71347685

All the top 3 parties have a history of corruption, so does Sinn Féin.

Ireland needs a new set of political parties![/QUOTE)

A very interesting read, the praise of FF in 2006 & the possibility of FG in power for 10 years seem particularly humorous.

Advertisement