Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right..Recommend a Great Acoustic

Options
  • 16-10-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Over the next few months I'll hopefully be recording some tunes of mine and I'm considering spending a few quid on a quality acoustic/electro acoustic guitar.

I currently have something like this & this

A lot of the songs are acoustic or will contain acoustic. Any suggestions??

OR

Am I wasting my time in buying another guitar and should direct funds towards recording process using the guitars I have?

Cheers in advance!
    Seany

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Well if you're getting an Epiphone get a Masterbilt. They seem top notch. My little brother has a fantastic Takamine acoustic mit pickup, it's really great.

Tis this one;
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/takamine_eg523sc_westerngitarre.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

How much is a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Sorry..the two guitars I have listed above , I already own. I think the washburn is the nicer sounding of the two.

I have tried a couple of Martin's in Musician Inc..they are nice but carry a big price tag. If I am buying something, I would like to get something fairly top of the range so I'll never need to buy again :D

As for budget..not sure really say anything from 600 - 1600? If it means putting a few more shillings aside (or waiting for SSIA to come through :p ) for the right guitar, I'd consider that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Try a Simon and Patrick in Musicmaker. If it were something you were prepared to splash out on, you'd get an incredible instrument within your budget. Mine cost 550 and makes the heart soar with its tone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I think this is an amazing guitar. i've tried one in the states and a few here. It's a no frills guitar but what a sound!

http://www.thomann.de/ie/martinguitars_d15_western.htm

• Advertisement

Chris has two very nice takamines that will come in at about €1000 all inclusive to your door. Numbers 36 and 37 in the acoustics section. Got my own takamine from chris and its very nice indeed. Very nice choice esp if you gig. Tak preamps are famous for their natural sound

Maybe somethin like this as well: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Taylor-410ce-Limited-Edition-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ150046334624QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33031QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you really want the cream of the crop (imo) then I'd really consider a McIlroy. Best instruments I've ever heard/played without question. They're expensive though at about €2500. However there 2500 models far outshine some 6000+ taylors/gibsons/martins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I'd second the Simon & Patrick suggestion.

If you push to the edge of your budget and go second hand, you might get lucky with something top of the range. Otherwise, either think smaller or hang on till you can raise more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

http://www.gigsmartireland.com/forum2004/forum_posts.asp?TID=17798&PN=2

That, I'd get it myself only I gota new guitar recently, so I am in the ****.

TK

NeMiSiS wrote:
    http://www.gigsmartireland.com/forum2004/forum_posts.asp?TID=17798&PN=2

That, I'd get it myself only I gota new guitar recently, so I am in the ****.

TK

I'd still prefer either of chris's takamines to that gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

McIlroy! McIlory! Will break you but get a McIlroy! Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed! Cheap at the price!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Thanks guys..

I have heard good things about McIlroy alright. As for the Takamines, I believe some models are hit and miss. I have tried a couple of Martins and I one in particular caught my eye (Martin GTE 16 AURA) which I am looking to try out.

That Gibson also looks interesting although I ahve never played a Gibson acoustic before and worry that anything that carries the name Gibson will automatically cost a bit more for brand alone :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to decide if it is worth splashing out on a new guitar when there are already two at my disposal and I could direct funds into the recordings..hmm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Edja wrote:
    McIlroy! McIlory! Will break you but get a McIlroy! Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed! Cheap at the price!!!

if you have 1600 to spend now, definitly sit tight and save for the McIlroy. nothing compares at the same price level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

can't go wrong with a yamaha

I was thinking of going for a Yamaha myself, just because I have such faith in their products..

fish-head wrote:
    I was thinking of going for a Yamaha myself, just because I have such faith in their products..

I love the pacifica line...not so sure about their acoustics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Seany wrote:
    Am I wasting my time in buying another guitar and should direct funds towards recording process using the guitars I have?

Since everyone who posts in this forum is an irredeemable gearhead:p I advise you seriously consider sticking with what you have. I've been playing nothing but a €200 guitar for five years. I get the sound I want, and I've played €2000 guitars that don't sound as good. What I'm saying is I find it very hard to believe that you can't find what you're looking for in the two you have.

I wouldn't invest too much in recording equipment either; pay for a good tech and you'll get great results, or invest in learning how to record yourself.

GAS is the #1 enemy of budding musicians.

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Your 2c fill me with an unquenchable lust for blood.

Some things in life are worth spending money on. I hope you're not that cheap with your girlfriend. :p

Where's that blasted Ban button?! We have an unbeliever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Argh quarantine him it'll spread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nickcave wrote:
    Since everyone who posts in this forum is an irredeemable gearhead:p I advise you seriously consider sticking with what you have. I've been playing nothing but a €200 guitar for five years. I get the sound I want, and I've played €2000 guitars that don't sound as good. What I'm saying is I find it very hard to believe that you can't find what you're looking for in the two you have.

I wouldn't invest too much in recording equipment either; pay for a good tech and you'll get great results, or invest in learning how to record yourself.

GAS is the #1 enemy of budding musicians.

My 2c.

the man talks sense. that is probably one of the best posts i've seen on these forums of late. i've been playing nothing but a cheapy (slightly modified ) guitar for over 7 years and i am happy out with it. GAS wastes precious practice time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Well hold on now there, Seany.....as much as I enjoy the guitar talk, pics, and links (isn't that why we're here?), your original post asked us to choose between guitar upgrade and recording purchase/upgrade.

Since we haven't heard any recordings, how can we possibly answer your question?

We seem to have forgotten that there are two sides to the equation. I demand sound!! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

Don't buy a Tak.
    They're overpriced and plastic sounding.
    The do a job live, but for recording, you'll get bugger all dynamic.

If it's primarily for recording, you don't need a pickup straight away.
    For 1600 you could get a very nice Avalon.
    They're essentially another Lowden offshoot, like McIlroy.
    I play a Lowden myself, and the Avalons and McIlroys are of a similar style.

Try out the Avalons in Perfect Pitch. You won't be disappointed.

As for sticking with cheap acoustics...
    I've heard people play a 3k lowden and make it sound less than it is, but I've never heard anyone play a €200 acoustic that made it sound any better than it was, regardless of how well they played it.
    Anyone who believes it's not worth the investment is only fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Hhhmmm, there's a lot of varying opinions building around this thread. I think the OP should be careful about some of the above advice concerning €200 guitars sounding as good as €2000 guitars. This astounds me and while it may be the case in some incidents my own experience tells an extremely different story. A €2000 guitar won't help you make better music but it should sound better in 999 of 1000 times. You say that the songs will contain alot of acoustic guitar, in that case you want the guitar to be as good as possible. It also means that you should probably direct your budget towards a guitar made to sound good acoustically rather than through the pick up (Takamines have built their reputation on their pick up sound NOT their acoustic sound). I have a Lowden into which I have a pre-amp fitted so I can use it live too. I absolutely love it to bits. I've recorded it many, many times over the last few years it has never failed to impress. I've also played quite a few vintage Gibsons that have blown my socks off. Martin's rate pretty highly in my book too. You should get out there and try as many as possible and start developing a feel for your options and which ones appeal to you most. An extremely good acoustic guitar is something you can treasure for life and leave to your kids!
    I once flew over to the Acoustic Centre in London, spent 2 days going through guitars and bought one on the end. I rang them in advance of this and they were extremely helpful. A great experience that I'd strongly recommend.
    I'd be interetsed to hear how you intend recording too. That will play a crucial role in what you're going to get from your guitar. Let us know what you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Get yourself a Seagull.

Just try one and you'll understand why.

My best mate has a Seagull, it's fantastic.

fitz wrote:
    but I've never heard anyone play a €200 acoustic that made it sound any better than it was, regardless of how well they played it.

Unless it's an old red label yamaha FG ...they're fabulous guitars

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Try the Furch guitars in Waltons, they've been recommended here before for someone on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

On the topic of cheap yet good guitars, I'd wholeheartedly reccommend Tanglewoods. For €200, you can get a really good acoustic, and I've never played a tanglewood I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Sofaspud wrote:
    On the topic of cheap yet good guitars, I'd wholeheartedly reccommend Tanglewoods. For €200, you can get a really good acoustic, and I've never played a tanglewood I didn't like.
    I have, a POS all laminate dreadnought i have in my attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Fitz wrote:
    but I've never heard anyone play a €200 acoustic that made it sound any better than it was, regardless of how well they played it.

I find that hard to believe tbh. You're associating €200 guitars with bad build, cheap woods, dodgy setup and the bad players who usually play them, but plenty budget guitars are very well made. Either that, or you could hear the 'cheapness' of the guitar, which is a feat.

Just to see can we pin this down I'll direct you to a recording I made last year (I like settling arguments with this:D )

http://artists.cpu.ie//download.php?band_id=654&song_id=2456&mode=song_hifi

That's a €200 guitar with about another €200 of recording equipment. The playing isn't great, but the sound is excellent, which is the point here.
    Unless it's an old red label yamaha FG ...they're fabulous guitars

Yeah, Elliott Smith had one of those. He used it on his indie albums AND it also saw use on his major label albums. I've never played one though.

OP, sorry if this is a little off point, but we'll soon get to the bottom of your woes...

Advertisement