Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to buy Aer Lingus!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

fluffer wrote:
    I know for a fact that many of those working in Ryanair are not Irish nationals.

???? Ryanair is a European airline, with many different bases around Europe, of course many people are non-Irish nationals.

More than 50 percent of people who work for CRH (the second biggest company in Ireland) are American. Is this relevant? No, and neither is your point.

fluffer wrote:
    They are enticed to work in Ireland by the salary.

What is this? A "Ryanair in high-pay shocker" expose? Ryanair has no shortage of Irish employees either, nor a shortage of Irish people who would love to work for the company. Employees are also offered a share-ownership package.

fluffer wrote:
    No pensions are offered.

Blatantly untrue. Pensions are offered to full-time employees.

fluffer wrote:
    Working conditions are appalling.

No, they are not. It is true that employees are busy and over-worked. But, what are the staff turnover figures like?

Easyjet recently had to cancel some routes because of a shortage of air hostesses. If Ryanair is so bad, why don't air hostesses leave Ryanair and move to an airline that is generally considered nicer, like Easyjet? Also, there is a Europe-wide shortage of pilots - why aren't the highly qualified Ryanair pilots going to other airlines? Something is obviously correct about how Ryanair treats its employees. Being over-worked is not "appalling", some people like the sense of being part of a dynamic organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Something is obviously correct about how Ryanair treats its employees.

Did you read any of my posts above? Read what the judge had to say about Ryanair's treatment of employees. MOL almost went to jail. A culture of fear and intimidation rules.

Read what happened to BUZZ airlines employees. I was not surprised in the least by how Aer Lingus staff reacted.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_%28airline%29
    Blatantly untrue. Pensions are offered to full-time employees
    Quite so. It is illegal not to. A scheme must be in place. AFAIK that means only that it is possible to have money deducted directly from your payslip. It does not mean that the employer must contribute.
    probably earn more of a salary
    Already covered. Wrong.
    But, what are the staff turnover figures like?
    I dont know. Do you? I am willing to bet my left testicle that Aer Lingus' turnover is lower.
    But what's your point? If I was a trolley-dolly or a pilot and had no job currently, and Ryanair were looking for staff, I'm not going to turn down a job.
    Your point is that if you had no job you might want one. Well done. My point is that Aer Lingus employees DO have a job. And they do not want to work for Ryanair. Quite simple.
    why don't air hostesses leave Ryanair and move to an airline that is generally considered nicer, like Easyjet
    Either one of the following reasons; A) They want to live in Ireland. B) They stay because Easyjet didnt accept them, and their pay is literally 5 times higher than in Poland/Lithuania/etc anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Galileo

Roundtower, moderator or not your knowledge of the subject at hand is at odds with the facts.

Earlier this year http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10295-2001350,00.html Ryanair cancelled over 1,000 flights because it's pilots were overworked.
    Ryanair has no shortage of Irish employees either, nor a shortage of Irish people who would love to work for the company. Employees are also offered a share-ownership package.
    Waffle. Any Irish person that would love to work for them should do a little research.
    Blatantly untrue. Pensions are offered to full-time employees
    Another misleading statement. Most new hires are only on contract. No pensions for those on contract.
    so the dilemma for the esot is:
    accept offer, get €60k, keep your job (if you work outside of marketing and catering) and probably earn more of a salary.

More of a salary :rolleyes: you must be joking just because O'Leary calls Ryanair the high pay airline does mean it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I find it strange that so many people are utterly aghast at the moves Ryanair are making in acquiring Aer Lingus. If you didn't see this coming, you need to sharpen your market instincts.

What Aer Lingus are essentially fighting for now is their identity. Ryanair, through direct investment, various funds and proxy arrangements with other investment institutes, could easily have exceptional influence over Aer Lingus in the future. This direct buyout offer is an attempt at subsumation - control is really a forgone objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I can really understand the contempt MOL has for Aer Lingus and the Government, if he cant take control of Aer Lignus, could he not just provide more competition on the Aer Lingus routes, launch Long Haul to the States and finnish Aer Lingus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bid is in trouble.
    EU looking like they are going to block it or test it at least.
    Share price now 2.77 Euro.

Wonder if Ryanair can either
    (A) pull their offer
    or
    (B) buy loads in the market now the share price is below their offer? :confused:

Advertisement