Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londis - Ballybricken

Options
  • 04-10-2006 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Anyone hear exactly what's going to be in Londis (aka Besco) on Ballybricken. I heard myself it was sold to Bob Tweedy who as far as I know owns The Park Inn and it will be a late bar. Hopefully its true as it would be great to have a late bar thats not "down town".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It would be great actually. Somewhere other than the Forum to go to after Downses. :D (Other than whispers!)

God bless great men like Bob Tweedy and Daryl Kavanagh, who provide almost 100% of the nightlife in Waterford. Who needs choice when you can have the comfort of oligarchy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Glad you both agree its badly needed to have something different up in that area. All the other pubs are ok but they do have their "clicks" in them I find. I'm not mad on going into town too much as its waaay too young and crowded but I also sometimes prefer a bit more excitement than "locals" provide so the late bar would be ideal I'd say. Fingers crossed the rumours I've heard from quite a few people are true. And with Jumbos & Ballybricken Take-Away food afterwards is sorted too. :)

Wouldn't mind having Tweedy & Kavanagh's money myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"clicks"

Cliques my dear! ;):)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Baby4 wrote:

I agree about the forgotten areas & it would be nice to have some decent cafes etc up in Ballybricken. Remember "thrill on the hill"?! Hopefully this new pub at Londis will liven things up.

Also when I was in my late teens/early twenties O'Connell Street was the place to be. We had Breens, KFC, Cheers, Metroland, Peppermint Grove, etc. Seems like the nightlife scene moved down to the total opposite end of town. I remember when all we really had over that end was Fat Sams and then Club LA started the whole thing off followed by Rubys. I remember we'd all be heading up O'Connell Street to Supermacs after 2:00am rather than the opposite way. Mad how things have changed.

One other thing did anyone see the "leaf" in Ballybricken & what you think. I havn't seen it close up myself but far away it looks like a bag or something.

LOL Mike65 - can't believe I made such a silly spelling error :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

it has to be said that O' Connell street is now somewhat of a dingy underbelly for Waterford, sex shops, run down buildings etc.
    Will the whole of Londis be turned into a pub? it's an awfully big place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

mike65 wrote:
    Cliques my dear! ;):)

Mike.
    We know what she means smart ass , theres plenty of "cliques" here on boards as well

Dan133269 wrote:
    it has to be said that O' Connell street is now somewhat of a dingy underbelly for Waterford, sex shops, run down buildings etc.
    Will the whole of Londis be turned into a pub? it's an awfully big place

It wasn't great back then either, there was just plenty to do. :)

I can remember going to the Roxy on many occasions and hitting the K Recipe nearby. Pity the whole place died a death. Still, it's slowly but surely being regenerated. It could become sort of a gritty 'cultural' area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I find it hard to believe that Londis is ever going to be a pub at a time when pubs are closing down all over the place. Anyway as a person living near this building, I would be against it becoming a pub. There are 10 pubs in the area already and at the moment there is no supermarket, bearing in mind that there is a large number of older people with no cars living around Ballybricken who find going up and down the hills hard.

Ballybricken should be developed as an urban village not a meeting place for drunken students and hen nights from Tallaght, which is what would happen if Londis were turned into a late night bar. One area like John’s St is enough for the city, turning Ballybricken into another would just damage what is one of the countries nicest urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I find it hard to believe that Londis is ever going to be a pub at a time when pubs are closing down all over the place. Anyway as a person living near this building, I would be against it becoming a pub. There are 10 pubs in the area already and at the moment there is no supermarket, bearing in mind that there is a large number of older people with no cars living around Ballybricken who find going up and down the hills hard.

Ballybricken should be developed as an urban village not a meeting place for drunken students and hen nights from Tallaght, which is what would happen if Londis were turned into a late night bar. One area like John’s St is enough for the city, turning Ballybricken into another would just damage what is one of the countries nicest urban areas.

What about Aldi?

Aldi is hardly a supermarket like Londis was and nobody does there daily food shopping in Aldi, especially not older people.

Aldi is hardly a supermarket like Londis was and nobody does there daily food shopping in Aldi, especially not older people.

Why not? It's cheap?

At the moment Ballybricken is crap. Waterford needs a rejuvinated Ballybricken. At the moment there's nothing up there. A late opening pub would be very handy there I think. Maybe it could be a better class of place than you think? Ballybricken could do with a few cafes or something. It's a shame, because there used to be 10,000 people living in the parish of Ballybricken at one time. Now it has the feel of a deserted car park... :(

What do you think they should put there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Star*

I can see the point of people living in the area of ballybricken of not wanting further development within the area it is a nice older part of the city, but i do think it needs something.

it seems more like chemist round about at the moment between powers, mulligans and carrolls.

ballybricken needs something - and i agree we should utilise that lovely green area that is there and I remember "thrill on the hill" and it being the talk of the city every one wanted to be there - at the time it was as big as the spraoi festival is now.

I think the council in waterford would want to remember the area and develop it more and i am not talking about another johns street just something else more tasteful.

i just don't have the answers myself as to what ...........

first of all the bull post should be knocked down, and possibly put some sort of a vending machine in it's place. :p joking
    Seriously though I think having a lap dancing club which according to the general consensus, also acts as somewhat of a brothel, I don't know because I've never been there and never intend going there, that's not going to improve the reputation or feel of any area, unless you're a sleazy lowlife that is

merlante wrote:
    Why not? It's cheap?

At the moment Ballybricken is crap. Waterford needs a rejuvinated Ballybricken. At the moment there's nothing up there. A late opening pub would be very handy there I think. Maybe it could be a better class of place than you think? Ballybricken could do with a few cafes or something. It's a shame, because there used to be 10,000 people living in the parish of Ballybricken at one time. Now it has the feel of a deserted car park... :(

What do you think they should put there?

I would agree that a few cafés and/or restaurants would be a great advantage to Ballybricken but another pub of any kind will not make much of an improvement or make it any less “crap” as you put it. I would like to see some speciality food shops such as bakers, confectioners, butchers etc return to the area or even a farmers market.

I would agree that a few cafés and/or restaurants would be a great advantage to Ballybricken but another pub of any kind will not make much of an improvement or make it any less “crap” as you put it. I would like to see some speciality food shops such as bakers, confectioners, butchers etc return to the area or even a farmers market.

Well if the pub was something like Geoffs, which is more like a cafe during the day, that wouldn't be so bad would it? I'd go up the hill for that. :)

I think the days of dragging cows, etc., on to Ballybricken are long gone at this stage. ;) Yeah, those traditional businesses are great, unfortunately the population is not what it was, and also, people are voting for supermarkets with their feet. :(

Look at Harney's bakery in Johnstown, one of the biggest losses to the inner city in recent years, imho. Calling the pub that replaced it 'Baker St.' was a lame insult.

In light of the way things are going, how long will Greers of Michael St. last? Best vanilla slices anywhere!

merlante wrote:
    Well if the pub was something like Geoffs, which is more like a cafe during the day, that wouldn't be so bad would it? I'd go up the hill for that. :)

I think the days of dragging cows, etc., on to Ballybricken are long gone at this stage. ;) Yeah, those traditional businesses are great, unfortunately the population is not what it was, and also, people are voting for supermarkets with their feet. :(

Look at Harney's bakery in Johnstown, one of the biggest losses to the inner city in recent years, imho. Calling the pub that replaced it 'Baker St.' was a lame insult.

In light of the way things are going, how long will Greers of Michael St. last? Best vanilla slices anywhere!

I never wrote anything about cows, I was writing about a food market along the lines of the French market that has visited in the pasted or the English market in Cork. There are many producers in the southeast and they should be given a nice place to trade not up some alleyway. There is a large passing trade in Ballybricken on foot and in cars, enough to make this work. Also as a country, we are getting away from pubs as the main social outlets, so when planning areas we need to be more creative. As far as I am concerned went it comes to pubs Ballybricken is more then catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I never wrote anything about cows, I was writing about a food market along the lines of the French market that has visited in the pasted or the English market in Cork. There are many producers in the southeast and they should be given a nice place to trade not up some alleyway. There is a large passing trade in Ballybricken on foot and in cars, enough to make this work.

Yeah I think a market up there would be great, there's plenty of room there at the green it could really liven the place up on a Saturday. :)

I think a late night bar in Ballybricken would be good all right (sad to lose Londis to have it though...), but if it's run by Tweedy then it's probably going to be **** chart/pop/rnb/etc. music. Be nice to have a late night bar there with decent music, like the Forum back a few months ago. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

There are 10 pubs in the area already and at the moment there is no supermarket, bearing in mind that there is a large number of older people with no cars living around Ballybricken who find going up and down the hills hard.

Yeah that's true, the Hyper is close enough but that hill is very steep down to it from the green and even from Yellow rd down too. I'm sorry to see Londis go, I'd imagine it would have been useful to local people, especially elderly people as you say, you would see a lot of them in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So what's the story, will it be a boozer?
    It'll be a great pity to see it go, the clock was never right, but hey, that's Waterford.

Roen wrote:
    So what's the story, will it be a boozer?
    It'll be a great pity to see it go, the clock was never right, but hey, that's Waterford.

By Waterford bylaws, the local time is defined to be exactly equivalent to that given by the clock tower. This is true since 1861.

Since the clock in the clocktower is often broken, and indeed is rarely working, it is correct that other clocks around the town also be stopped.

merlante wrote:
    Since the clock in the clocktower is often broken, and indeed is rarely working, it is correct that other clocks around the town also be stopped.

Now there's an idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

merlante wrote:
    By Waterford bylaws, the local time is defined to be exactly equivalent to that given by the clock tower. This is true since 1861.

Myles from Dublin.....

Roen wrote:
    Myles from Dublin.....

Many Myles ar na gCapaillin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ronnette

Morgan Power bought the shop, dunno who owns it now! Tweedy was never in d picture 2 buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

You've just got into the guinness book of records with that bump:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Ronnette wrote: »
    Morgan Power bought the shop, dunno who owns it now! Tweedy was never in d picture 2 buy it!

Seven years later
    Wtf

robtri wrote: »
    Seven years later
    Wtf

This is an example of why I believe that owners of vacant commercial properties should have to pay triple rates until they put them to use. There are too many perfectly viable premises in the city centre being sat on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

They used to have to pay 50% of the rates when the premises was empty...now they don't have to pay any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement