Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragging up old threads...

Options
  • 28-09-2006 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So how do you guys feel about it. Sometimes you might be browsing an old thread and think..."Hmmm, I've got something to add here, I'd like to voice my opinion" so you go ahead and post a reply.

Then maybe someone else posts asking why you bothered raising an old thread from the dead. Doesn't everyone have the right to reply to older threads, another forum I use actively encourages it, even if the thread is years old. They feel that it can add a new perspective or that new opinions are valid and welcome.

How do you feel about it? Me? I think it's a good idea so long as the reply is valid and to the point. Also I think if it stops the same issue being re-hashed as a 'new' thread every couple of months that has to be a good thing, right?

Born again threads - your view! 29 votes

Old thread, leave it dead!
    0% 0 votes
    Why not replay? Post away!
    34% 10 votes
    A little from column A, A little from Column B
    41% 12 votes
    Obligatory Atari Jaguar (don't care) option.
    24% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

As long as it's not gratuitous I don't see why not.

Just because a thread is old, doesn't mean everyone should no longer be entitled to get their point accross.

It's only frustrating when you get people bombarding the thread with multiple replies to get the reply count up (and their post count for that matter). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ah sure whats the harm i say, let the baby have their bottle!

Postcount ++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Start a new thread, and maybe link to the old one if you'd like to reference it. No point in dragging up something that was likely resolved or forgotten about months/years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Don't see a problem with it most of the time. It can be interesting to see how people's opinions have changed on things. I'm going to drag this thread up in a year or so and see how people feel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Good lad jor el

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Leave it die.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the problem is you get through the first page with a sense of deja vu and then notice the date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

jor el wrote:
    Start a new thread, and maybe link to the old one if you'd like to reference it. No point in dragging up something that was likely resolved or forgotten about months/years ago.
    I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

why would anyone have a problem with it if the topic is still relevent? ie. thread about abortion -- right or wrong. That's not exactly going to go out of date, so if the discussion has stopped for long enough to let it drop down a few pages, then it makes no sense to start a new one when there's already a thread on the subject.

The reason why AH has 18,000 threads is probably because people b*tch anytime you revive an old one. It's also the reason why the same thread is repeated so many times in alot of the forums (eg. around 20 threads about Thailand in Travel/Holiday)

It's pretty silly and messy.

So yeah, I don't give a sh*t if someone bumps a thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

just like old people, old threads should be left alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Here is one on the Tweaking/Modding forum that I can remember.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115611

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

jor el wrote:

Agreed. Not alot of things annoy me, dragging up old thread is one of them, let them die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

:rolleyes: do we need to recycle everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    When its over 6 years old.

Then it should be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Ha I got a warning the other day too. Can u believe it? I wrote back as to why I was being warned but got no response. Absolute joke

DRP in Help Desk =======>

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

atkin wrote: »
    I have got a warning for replying to an old thread and was told do not do it again.

Can someone please advise on when is a thread considered to be old ????

Over 6 months is a good yardstick though it depends. Dragging up 3 threads all over 7 years isn't the way to ask, pm a mod and we'll answer.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement