Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Computer Repair - Help Please!

Options
  • 16-09-2003 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Computer repair problem here.

I am fixing a PC of mine for a friend. Its a HP Pavillion, 1.2Ghz Athlon and its about 19 months old.

Basically it took to freezing on her regularly and the only way to get it to start again was to forced switch it off. I took a look at it, and it seemed fine (maybe being shaken around in my car on the way home had an effect?) but now theres nothing, it won't start at all.

I initially reckoned on the power supply, but changed that, and indeed used her power supply to power my own.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Nothing happens when you press the switch, no fans, nothing. Ive done all the usual bits (reseating cards, checking connectors etc.

All help much appreciated, even if in the end its the name of someone/somewhere that I could get it repaired.

Cheers,

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Are all the front panel switches pluged into the mobo properly? if so maybe try shorting the on/off button connectors i.e the two pins which the on/off switch normally connects to. This will rule out a faulty switch.
    Otherwise trace everything back to the psu and see what has power and what has'nt.
    Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monkey_magic

Oooo the exact same thing happened to my sister a couple of months ago, tried everything but in the end the motherboard had to be replaced, works fine now. Hope you don't have to go that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Did you try testing the memory in another board? Sometimes the mobo wont start if the memory is faulty! Is the wee led lit on the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would safely say its sorted now one way or the other. The post was almost three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

petes wrote:
    I would safely say its sorted now one way or the other. The post was almost three years ago.

Can we get that moved to the Humour forum? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

jtiernan wrote:
    Did you try testing the memory in another board? Sometimes the mobo wont start if the memory is faulty! Is the wee led lit on the mobo?

lol.. that is the funniest thing I have read all day. How did he even come across this thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

lol :D i was happily reading away then "its 3 years old" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

haha i was just thinking.. "Its a HP Pavillion, 1.2Ghz Athlon and its about 19 months old."

hmmm....
    maybe jtiernan just likes the archives lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mods. delete this as i keep clickin on it. :D

Advertisement