Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrorthon

Options
  • 20-09-2006 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Was at most of the horrorthon last year, and had a great time.

Anyway, here's the line up for anyone thinking of going this year.

THURSDAY OCTOBER 26th

20.30 SAW 3 (Opening Film, U.K. / Irish Premiere) 35mm print & THE FAIRIES OF BLACKHEATH WOOD (New 4 minute Irish short)

22.30 SNUFF MOVIE (Irish Premiere) 35mm print

FRIDAY OCTOBER 27th

14.00 FRIDAY THE 13th PART 2 (25th anniversary / 35mm print) (1981)

15.45 PET SEMATARY (1989) 35mm print

18.00 FROSTBITE (Director Anders Banke Q&A) 35mm print

20.00 "MASTERS OF HORROR"

John Landis's DEER WOMAN
    Tobe Hooper's DAMNED THING (Premiere)
    John Carpenter's PRO-LIFE (Premiere T.B.C.)

23.30 DEMONS (Director Lamberto Bava introduction) (1985 35mm print)

SATURDAY OCTOBER 28th

13.00 LIE STILL

14.40 DARKLANDS (Director Julian Richards introduction / Director's Cut : World Premiere)

16.20 THE LOST (2005) (Irish Premiere) 35mm print & FINAL JOURNEY (New 3 minute Irish short)

19.00 THE TORTURER (Director Lamberto Bava introduction) (2006)

21.00 "MASTERS OF HORROR"

John Landis's FAMILY (Premiere)
    Dario Argento's PELTS (Premiere)

20.45 CARRIE (30th anniversary Outdoor Screening / Temple Bar Meeting House Sq.) 35mm

23.30 GRIZZLY (30th anniversary) 35mm print

SUNDAY OCTOBER 29th

11.00 BAVA ON BAVA (Public Talk with Lamberto Bava)

13.00 COUNTESS DRACULA (35th anniversary screening / 35mm print) (1971)

14.45 "MASTERS OF HORROR"

Brad Anderson's SOUNDS LIKE (Premiere)
    Takashi Miike's IMPRINT

17.00 THE HOST (Irish Premiere) 35mm print

19.20 SURPRISE FILM (Irish Premiere)

21.00 PAN'S LABYRINTH (Irish Premiere) 35mm print

21.00 AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (25th anniversary Outdoor Screening / Temple Bar Meeting House Sq.)

23.15 CRUEL JAWS

MONDAY OCTOBER 30th

13.00 GOING TO PIECES : THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SLASHER FILM (Premiere / Introduction by Producer Rachel Belofsky) & BAN THE SADIST VIDEOS PART 2

15.40 BEHIND THE MASK : THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON (Irish Premiere)

17.20 THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (35mm print)

19.00 CELLO (U.K. / Irish Premiere)

20.50 POLTERGEIST (70mm Print / Closing Film)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Wow I wouldent mind taking in Pan`s laybrinth, I asume that its on in the IFC. ALso how do the ticket sales work? As ive never been and always wanted to make one of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Looks like the Schedule has changed and a few flicks I was looking forward to are now gone. The list can be found here http://www.horrorthon.com/

here's a quick summary of the changes.

THURSDAY OCTOBER 26th

20.30 SAW 3 has been changed for THE HOST

SUNDAY OCTOBER 29th

17.00 NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD replacing the Host which is Moved to the opening film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Personally I'm looking forward to Pan's Labyrinth, Demons, Poltergeist and i'm off to research some of the other ones. I missed out on being there last year but hopefully will be able to make it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I've been going for a long time, but have missed the last two years (living abroad). This line up is quite excellent although there's a notable lack of a really good bad zombie or cannibal movie. Grizzly does sound good though.

Time to dig out the fudge recipe again.

I do want to see them, but doesn't the screening of Masters of Horror seem a bit cheap? Based on past experience I assume they'll be projecting the DVD's... Will these double bills be full price tickets?

Regardless, we're planning on getting full festival tickets and catching it all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm really looking forward to seeing Demons on the big screen... I've loved that film since I was a little kid.

And Lamberto Bava is going to be there too... amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

11 am for Lamberto Bava interview? Gorepups need to be up early! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

Have gone for the last 2 years. Loved the first year I went, hated last year, way to many TALKERS!!! There were maybe 2 movies last year I was aloud to enjoy, just because people just would not shut up! Will not be paying for the whole weekend this time, it felt like a waste of money last year!!!

Talking during which movies? There'll be talking and general hooting during quite a few films this year. The horrorthon is the one cinema related event that I fully encourage audience participation in.

I'll never forget getting a dirty look during Dario Argento's Sleepless a few years ago because we were laughing too hard. You'd swear there wasn't a midget gouging a woman's face out with a flute on screen...

I think only three days this year. And possibly Poltergeist as well. The line up isn't as good as it has been in the past, there isn't anything that provocative showing. The shark movie and Grizzly better make up for the appalling lack of cannibal movie this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Just bought a 5 Day Pass today. This better be good.

I really like the look of BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON. The trailer was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

Lodgepole wrote:
    Talking during which movies? There'll be talking and general hooting during quite a few films this year. The horrorthon is the one cinema related event that I fully encourage audience participation in.

I'll never forget getting a dirty look during Dario Argento's Sleepless a few years ago because we were laughing too hard. You'd swear there wasn't a midget gouging a woman's face out with a flute on screen...

I think only three days this year. And possibly Poltergeist as well. The line up isn't as good as it has been in the past, there isn't anything that provocative showing. The shark movie and Grizzly better make up for the appalling lack of cannibal movie this year.

I'm not talking about, laughing and a word with someone or general hooting. I had the misfortune of having beside me and behind me people having full blown conversations during movies. And not about the movies!!!

• Advertisement

Just bought a 5 Day Pass today. This better be good.
    I got the €5 cheaper 4 day pass myself... annoying.. but I'll be out of the country for the first evening.

I'll have to keep an eye out for you.

Well I can't imagine their being very many people with 4/5 day passes so once you see who else is at every single screening it will then only be a matter of picking out the throng of blonde, breast-enlarged centrefolds and the grey haired man in their midst.

Just wondering if anyone had any guesses as to what the Surprise Film this year is going to be. I suppose it could be Saw III or The Grudge 2 but I really hope not. What other anticipated horrors are being released soon?

Is the Surprise Film usually an old film or a new release?

Just wondering if anyone had any guesses as to what the Surprise Film this year is going to be. I suppose it could be Saw III or The Grudge 2 but I really hope not. What other anticipated horrors are being released soon?
    Well Saw 3 goes on general release on Friday... so I really hope it's not that.

Is the Surprise Film usually an old film or a new release?
    It's always a new release. Saw III was on the first schedule they released so I doubt they would remove it only to have it as the surprise film. I've never guessed the film... Sometimes it's been good, sometimes bad... If it wasn't part of my weekend ticket I wouldn't be taking the chance.

Well Saw 3 goes on general release on Friday... so I really hope it's not that.
    Precisely.

Does anyone remember what it was last year? Or other years?

Idle Hands, The Others, The Cell and some ****e about a boat are the ones I can remember. I really enjoyed the first two, The Cell was decent and I didn't see the boat one.

Oh dear... I hate all the films you've named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Last year it was .... the brothers grim

Cactus Col wrote:
    Last year it was .... the brothers grim
    Oh dear. The only good thing about that film was how nice Monica Belluci looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Got a bunch of tickets, so far seen; The Host, Frost Biten and Demons.

All satirical so far, hoping tomorrows helping of 'The Lost' will be better, an actual horror for this... horrorton I've paid so much for :rolleyes:

I wasn't too crazy about Frostbite... it was trying too hard to be an American style film without any cultural identity of it's own.

I thought John Carpenter's Pro Life was very good and an excellent return to form for him... lets hope he can start making proper features like this again.

And of course I absolutely loved seeing Demons on the big screen... the quality of the print was excellent as well... Friday the 13th Part 2 was in bits.

Frostbite was a bit rubbish alright. My favourite of the day (besides Demons) was The Deer Woman. Friday the 13th Part 2 was in tatters alright.

Friday the 13th Part 2 was in bits.
    Very true. It really got in the way of the silent parts. But it was kinda interesting to a print as beaten up as that.

By the way, I think you were sitting in-front-of-me-and-to-the-right in Demons. I recognised your voice from the podcasts, heh.

Anyway, I thought demons was great. The black pimp was the best character ever and it was really a cool movie to see at 11:30. I think I'll get it on DVD (if I can find it).

My favourite of the festival so far has been Snuff-Movie. I thought it was really, really good (as a horror film). It was a pity that the audience was kinda small.

Ha... I didn't realise I was talking so much during the film for you to recognise my voice. I brought my Demons DVD in today to get Bava to sign it... but never got the chance.

Oh dear lord... The Torturer was pretty terrible wasn't it? Not a patch on demons.

That welsh film was pretty bad too. The Lost was enjoyable enough.. but it really wasn't a horror film... It's like showing a film like Reservoir Dogs at a horror festival.

The two Master of Horror films were really good again... loved Family particularly and I'm looking forward to Imprint now.

Grizzly was good fun... but I completely conked out towards the end only to be awoken by the sound of the bear been blown up just before the end titles.

I appreciated what Lie Still was trying to do... but it just didn't really work and wasn't really scary at all. I loved how it was shot though, very low lighting through out... although looking at a how film in that light it is very depressing.

The Torturer was death... Not even Bava could watch it. I enjoyed The Lost, and the two Masters of Horror were very good. Grizzly was better than I expected, the description of the maimed kid towards the end was amazing.

Slept in this morning, so i'm going to have to skip Countess Dracula. It should be qualty all the way through until Cruel Jaws.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Slept in this morning, so i'm going to have to skip Countess Dracula. It should be qualty all the way through until Cruel Jaws.
    Same here. I think I've seen it in the past anyway... And for me hammer movies will always be for watching at about 3am on ITV.

Chrsit, The Torturer was bad. It looked like an Italian soap opera. I blanked out for about 2 minutes a few times.

Lie Still was alright but it didn't have much momentum. I thought it was cool how the landlord in Lie Still was also the newspaper editor in Darklands.

Darklands itself was... good in parts but the films it was "borrowing" from were just so obvious (e.g. the bearded priest - The Omen). I think it's the only film, so far, not to get an applause at the end.

The Lost was enjoyable enough.. but it really wasn't a horror film... It's like showing a film like Reservoir Dogs at a horror festival.
    I really, really liked The Lost but I agree with you. I certainly found myself about two thirds in thinking, "Huh, there hasn't really been much horror in this, has there?"

I enjoyed The Masters Of Horror episodes too. I love that this season they seem to have about two reletively famous actors in each epiosde. People like Ted Raimi, John Saxon, Matt Keeslar, George Wendt (love him) and even Ron Perlman!
    I think that the epiosdes have really hit the ground running in the festival. They fit in perfectly.

I'm debating whether to sit through Imprint today. See, I need a break to get some air, eat, etc. and I've already seen Imprint. However, I really want to see people's reactions to what goes on in the episode. Hmmm... I think I'll stay. :D

I skipped Grizzly to get sleep for today but I'm regretting it now as I think I would have liked it a lot.

Skipping Countess Dracula today (again for sleep). Looking for ward to Cruel Jaws, the surprise film and, of course, Pan's Labyrinth(!). Oh, and I undertake that if I don't catch a MoH t-shirt today, I will kill myself. I mean, c'mon, the mod. of the juggling forum should at least be able to catch a t-shirt for **** sake. :p

Ha... I've gotten 2 DVDs so far. One from the raffle and from when they were throwing them out... I didn't even try and grab for it... it just landed in my lap.

Cruel Jaws was absolutely outstanding... my face hurts from laughing so much.. I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy on DVD.

The surprise film was See No Evil and it was an absolutely cliched teen slasher flick which was vehicle for some wrestler who reminded me of Thor Johnson from the old Ed Wood films. It was pretty terrible.

Pan's Labryinth was brilliant though... I really enjoyed that one and it's definitely the best film of the festival for me.

Imprint was a lot of fun too.... Billy Drago's over acting was very funny to watch... two girls sitting next to me had to get up and walk out during it though.

• Advertisement

Cruel Jaws was absolutely outstanding... my face hurts from laughing so much.. I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy on DVD.
    Your face hurts, my throat hurts, fun was had by all. The three guys next to me were the "Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!" guys so I simply had to join in with, "They're gonna break her legs!"

Advertisement