Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late?

Options
  • 18-09-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

So I'm 15 years old and, due to a love of music,have started the guitar.But is 15 too late to start?My friends who play have done so for a long time.When did everyone here start?Also,some tips for a noob would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I started when I was 16. It's never too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I started when I was 17. I'll have to agree, never too late. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

19 when i started, and its the best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i was only 14 or so, Your aok, its pretty average age to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Herman Li started at 16 and look at him now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I figure I was a fairly late started, and look at how great I am! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wes montgomery... one of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time... started when he was around 18 or so...

So you dont need to have been a child prodigy to become one of the greats even... all you need is resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

As everyone else has said, never too late.

Most important thing, DO NOT GIVE UP!

I learned a few chords when I was 10 or so, and if I had kept going, I'd be pretty good by now. Instead, I properly started when I was 15, and am mediocre bordering good at this stage (I'm 18 now). Once you break past the stage where you find chord changes difficult, you'll never want to put down a guitar again. Unless, of course, you buy a new guitar and want to post here about how good you bet it would be if you weren't posting. Ahh, the paradox of musicianship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Sofaspud wrote:
    Once you break past the stage where you find chord changes difficult, you'll never want to put a guitar again. Unless, of course, you buy a new guitar and want to post here about how good you bet it would be if you weren't posting. Ahh, the paradox of musicianship.

Explain......... :confused:

21 when I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

started about 16/17 aswell and i'm rather brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i picked up a guitar for the first time 2 years ago when i was 20 and i'm learning david gilmour solo's at the moment,so its def not too late,just set yourself goals and make sure you enjoy it the whole way through;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I was 15 when I started and I can't imagine my life without playing an instrument. It's never to late to do something you enjoy. As Bill Wyman said, "Age only matters when you're a bottle of wine" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I was 15 when I started guitar as well. A warning though... it pretty much set me down a path leading to a life of bohemian unemployment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sweet wrote:
    is 15 too late to start?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I was about ... 13 I think. I don't have much memory of my younger days.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Quattroste wrote:
    Explain......... :confused:
    QUOTE]

My apologies, I meant to say "put down a guitar again."

Edited now, probably makes a bit more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Been playing multiple instruments since grade school, but I didn't get REALLY SERIOUS about guitar until tomorrow. I'm 47. Never too late! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Rustar wrote:
    .... I'm 47... :)
    Me too!
    And it's never too late to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Me too!
    And it's never too late to start.

unless you have Alzheimers and/or Arthritis... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

yeah, or unless you have Alzheimers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...what were we talking about, again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I started playing when I was 17 and I'd have to agree with the general concensus, your never too old to learn, although if your anything like me, you'll spend most of your time wishing you had started playing earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I was 12 or 13 when I started... hopefully some day I'll master chord changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The only time your too late is when your dead, and then its too late for everything...
    I did keyboard when i was 7yrs until I was 11yrs old. I gave it up because of a lack of interest in playing... i just loved to listen... If you're interested GO FOR IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i started at 15, its grand. wish i'd started earlier though...i also wish my parents had sent me to piano lessons and stuff, i was so deprived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i started when i was 17.. and i'm great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I started at 16 and I'm still ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

John wrote:
    I started at 16 and I'm still ****e!
    We should start a club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Its not all about what age you start. I know people who started at 8 and are still **** because they dont practice enough. I started at 11 and I'm a fairly average guitarist. I just dont practice as much as I should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

i started bout a year ago, so was 19, and im great (least thats what my mum tells me :( )

But ya its all about stickin with it, Ive been picking up my dads guitar for years and learning a few chords he'd give me, and my fingers would hurt and I'd give up, dunno why last year I just stuck at, I love it now, if ebay sold a pair of replica hendrix hands id be happy but I'll just have to keep practising with my own :p

Advertisement