Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom bass almost done.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Doctor J wrote:
    I see what you did there, I get jokes :D

Excellent. We may have use for you yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That page reminded me of my old Biology textbook... Neodyium whosafratsits and doo-whatchers. Fantastic looking bass Doc, I really love their headstocks for some reason.. and the matte finish is unbelieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I saw this and thought of the Doc waiting for his new bass:
    musical_03_mg0008.sized.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I wish I had a Scorpions t-shirt :D

Wishes can come true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

very nice ... and now to sell it :)

Sell it? Have you gone crackers, man? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Doctor J wrote:
    I wish I had a Scorpions t-shirt :D

Should have come to Wacken so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Doctor J wrote:
    Sell it? Have you gone crackers, man? :p
    ohhh your misses is going to dance on your head :D

Should have come to Wacken so. ;)

Should've got one when I saw them support Judas Priest :p
    smog wrote:
    ohhh your misses is going to dance on your head :D

Nah, she's known about this one for a while. It's cool. The V will require some skill though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Doc, that's an A-number-one fantabulosplendiferous build job and a beautiful bass to boot.

Cheers to you, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

God that colour is just so freakin cool, what type of pups are on there they look fairly different(but not in a badway its hotwire after all), How much did it set you back altogether ? and can comeone explain the q tner in lamens terms as i still dont have a cle what the hell its all about. is it a pickup in the bridge or is it the way the pickup is tuned or what im VERY confusted.

The pickups are q-tuners. Just check out their website.

feylya wrote:
    The pickups are q-tuners. Just check out their website.

And have dictionary.com open in another window while you're checking it out

Essentially the main difference is that the coils lie on their side, in relation to standard pickup design. They're humbuckers but you can alter the tone of them by raising or lowering the three rows of pole pieces. They've a very clear, balanced sound. My logic was to get a brilliantly made bass from superb quality wood and use the clearest pickups around to electrify it. I wasn't too concerned with looks and didn't ask for fancy woods, so the fretboard was a very pleasant surprise.

As for the price, it cost a lot, but probably not as much as you'd think and a lot less than a Sadowsky :p

Here's some pics of a clear q-tuner which might clear things up or just make it worse ;)
    Pedulla%20Rapture%205%20with%20Q-Tuner%20pickup%201.jpg
    Q-Tuner%20BL-5%201.jpg
    Q-Tuner%20BL-5%202.jpg

Pfft, cost a lot. Nonsence! It all balances out. You'd pay more trying to find the perfect bass.

ahhh that pic, clears it all up for me thanks J, all i must say is you lucky lucky man it looks goregeous and will more than likely sound amazing.

Thanks man. I am just gasping to get my hands on it. When I talked to Hotwire back in March I said I wanted a bass for life, I don't want to get another bass after this and hopefully they've done the trick.

as you have said to me before j, your never really done buying gear.Makes me kinda sad that my warwicks ****ED at the moment. it sounds great but the weight the fact that the neck is like a tree trunk and now this is making me really hate that company, the worst part is they dont even have the wireing diagrams for the corvette $$ up on there website :( i wanna play bass damm you!!!

Hopefully, custom made is the way forwards. I'm getting very jumpy at the moment. 2 more months and I'll have my Ran :D

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    as you have said to me before j, your never really done buying gear.Makes me kinda sad that my warwicks ****ED at the moment. it sounds great but the weight the fact that the neck is like a tree trunk and now this is making me really hate that company, the worst part is they dont even have the wireing diagrams for the corvette $$ up on there website :( i wanna play bass damm you!!!

What's wrong with it?

The coil tap switches always had some poor earthing on em , ie when you switched both pickups onto single coils thered be a bit of buzz, playing it the last night and it was like the bloody thing was having a heart attack,it let blursts of sound out with kinda a mangled hum.

Changed cables batterys and tried different amps so i recon its some bad soldering, im gona give it into somone who knows what there doing for this.Its one thing to fix a cheap bass but not a bass that cost me a grand.

Patricide wrote:
    The coil tap switches always had some poor earthing on em , ie when you switched both pickups onto single coils thered be a bit of buzz, playing it the last night and it was like the bloody thing was having a heart attack,it let blursts of sound out with kinda a mangled hum.

Changed cables batterys and tried different amps so i recon its some bad soldering, im gona give it into somone who knows what there doing for this.Its one thing to fix a cheap bass but not a bass that cost me a grand.

Noise, hum and single coils go hand in hand man, that's why the dual coil pickups are called humbuckers ;)

If you put both pickups on single coil and blend them do you still get the noise? Have you tried it through other amps and, more importantly, in other houses (power supplies) too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I once had a problem practicing in a house, my amp got awful buzz coming out of it. Twas solved by turning the lights off..

nah its everywhere, anyway the hum isnt whats the problem that was just the begining now the bass has totally died which i assume is just cause of a bad soldering job done on the coil taps, bt i could be wrong. WArwick still havent sent me a wireing diagram for it which is kinda annoying.

Advertisement