Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

koth wrote: »
    Can't find one with those exact dimensions. Link to the images I could find via Google.
    Sweet!

Everyone in work will be so jealous of my new desktop! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 New_Flash

Don't suppose there's a 1280x1024 version floating about anywhere? :)
    It's a fake but here's a link to the original if you want to make a nice wallpaper

http://a4size-ska.deviantart.com/art/Eclipse-144235675

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

koth wrote: »
    Can't find one with those exact dimensions. Link to the images I could find via Google.
    Unfair. I've only just changed my desktop to that mind-blowing photo of sunrise on Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    Unfair. I've only just changed my desktop to that mind-blowing photo of sunrise on Mars.

A programmer/software guy and you don't have multiple desktops or terminals or whatever you folks call them? :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jernal wrote: »
    A programmer/software guy and you don't have multiple desktops or terminals or whatever you folks call them? :confused::confused:
    I've a couple of monitors on my desktop, but only one of them is widescreen...

This might just be the reason I need to upgrade.

• Advertisement

Here's a photo that's no where near as aesthetic from 27,000m. Notice how small the sun and moon are compared to the pic that features, the sun, moon and somehow The Milky Way.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Oxford University to probe 'yeti' DNA

Supposed yeti remains are being put under the microscope in a collaboration between Oxford University and the Lausanne Museum of Zoology.

The Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project has been created to try and entice people and institutions with collections of cryptozoological material to submit it for analysis. Anyone with a sample of organic remains can submit details of where and when it was collected, among other data.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

robindch wrote: »
    Unfair. I've only just changed my desktop to that mind-blowing photo of sunrise SUNSET on Mars.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Going with the theme of awesome space wallpapers -

a quasar (not a real one)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiQxONaG1Q8TxMgNb8z3Ewc_l8k6o_IZ3G_oG6JcIwO-_yi8oKFw

looks utterly magnificent on my 30" monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,323 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Put your glasses on, it looks like shît (and wtf is posting an image of 'not a real one' ?)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just some info on Men's Health Week 2012 (June 11-17).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056649546

Lots of stuff to be doing.

Because I love the shuttle. :D

sts126ferry1-788582.jpg

I think there is only one thing more frightening to me than sitting on a plane with a space shuttle sitting on top of it, attached by a few poles, and that's sitting in the shuttle itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think there is only one thing more frightening to me than sitting on a plane with a space shuttle sitting on top of it, attached by a few poles, and that's sitting in the shuttle itself.

I on the other hand, would happily climb into the shuttle, and then jump out with a parachute or one of those wing suits.

I really want to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

While screaming "I AM IRON MAN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sarky wrote: »
    While screaming "I AM IRON MAN!"

Good gods yes!

I may be so much of an Iron Man/Marvel fan I made a special HUD for my Laptop and my PC.

Here!

Anyone who's seen the intro to Contact will understand the significance of this.
    http://jackadam.net/misc/radio_broadcasts/radio_broadcasts.jpg

What's that!? You haven't seen Contact!!!? Watch it tonight!!:mad:

^^
    That is so cool. Such perspective...

Good movie. Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Dades wrote: »
    ^^
    That is so cool. Such perspective...

Good movie. Great book.

****e movie.

• Advertisement

****e movie.

Yeah the movie really was a disappointment. Left out so many things that made the book great.

I loved the movie, haven't read the book though.

I loved the movie, haven't read the book though.
    Don't mind those splitters. The movie is just a movie and the book is a book. Different media, different treatment.

I know they changed the "reveal" at the end of the movie, but it worked okay, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,323 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Without endorsing (or not) any book or movie, can I just say that that picture was awesome (literally) - we can fool ourselves all we like about our own self-importance, but apart from that small purple dot in our own galaxy we may as well never have existed.
    That's not to mention the unknown number of galaxies out there - just our own one - and even in our own one we're insignificant.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Don't mind those splitters. The movie is just a movie and the book is a book. Different media, different treatment.

I know they changed the "reveal" at the end of the movie, but it worked okay, too.

They changed a lot. I just thought that how it was done in the book was a much better story. That's usually the way though.

^^
    The trick is not to expect one to be too much like the other!

The trick actually is to watch the movie first and then find the book, start reading it and go
    "Holy Sh1t books are amazing why don't I read them more often!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Never read the book and found the movie terribly boring.

^^
    The trick is not to expect one to be too much like the other!

I think this may have been the problem. I read the book first and was really excited to watch the movie because the book was so good... and then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Teen solves Newton’s 300-year-old riddle

http://www.canada.com/technology/Teen+solves+Newton+year+riddle/6685617/story.html
    An Indian-born teenager has won a research award for solving a mathematical problem first posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago that has baffled mathematicians ever since.

The solution devised by Shouryya Ray, 16, makes it possible to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance.

Bloody smart arse! :pac:

Advertisement