Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Galvasean wrote: »
    Scientists plan to launch assault on the outer rim of hell:
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-scientists-drill-earth-mantle.html

Lazy bastards! Wish I could get paid for the next 7 years while "scouting" around the pacific!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

NCSE-Table-1_lg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You can FF a bit, but basically the entire Buffalo herd come back in force to rescue one of their calves.

Who says 'morality' is for humans alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Dades wrote: »

You can FF a bit, but basically the entire Buffalo herd come back in force to rescue one of their calves.

Who says 'morality' is for humans alone?

And another recent example of 'moral' behaviour..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

thebhoy wrote: »
    NCSE-Table-1_lg.gif

Just out of interest, what's the most distant relationship between two humans on earth? The only info I found after a quick search was from a Musim site :confused:
    the most distant relation ship between two people on earth currently is 16th removed cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Brian Cox, presenter of some excellent BBC documentaries, discusses the benefits, drawbacks and challenges of TV Science documentaries and how he thinks we can use them to progress scientific understanding.
    He mentions some truly shocking statistics, iirc, he said that over 80% of the population of over 16s and above get the majority of their information on science from tv news, documentaries and other mainstream media. He explains how the bbc was inundated with complaints about his comments on Astrology and how they responded by merely stating it was his own personal opinion. Anything that is deemed controversial science (even if it is consensus) is deemed personal opinion.:( Well worth a watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

First homosexual caveman found

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cavedave wrote: »
    Was his name Dave? :pac:

If they were transgender is it correct to say he?

an archeologist friend says you have to be really careful with interpreting graves. He once thought he'd found Ireland first sheep shagger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

It was obviously a result of the environment in which he was raised :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

thought he'd found Ireland's first sheep shagger
    Either that, or the country's earliest practical-joking undertaker.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Brian Cox, presenter of some excellent BBC documentaries, discusses the benefits, drawbacks and challenges of TV Science documentaries and how he thinks we can use them to progress scientific understanding. [/YOUTUBE]

Just watching this now. Comes out with a great one liner describing science. "It is utterly apopulist. It's findings respect no social or political norms or religious beliefs."

Good watch so far and reminded me again that I really need to sit down and watch Cosmos..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Debunked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dude, the correct nomenclature is actually "caveperson".

The way I see it

1. He is not a caveman. I just copied from the headline.

2. You cannot be certain it is a man. fair enough, like the debunking claims telling gender from skeletons is hard. Even with a living person gender tests are really difficult.

3. there is not enough evidence to say the person was gay or transgender. This is putting very modern definitions on someone thousands of years ago which are probably a bad fit.

Supposing that he is found to likely be a he, and especially if more such finds occur I still think it is an interesting case. It does seem to imply that gender roles in the past may not have been as simple as pop evolutionary psychology talking heads make it sound.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Published in nature last week
    Probably not so relevant but interesting none the less

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the tevatron has beaten the LHC to an unexpected prize:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13000253

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The way I see it

1. He is not a caveman. I just copied from the headline.

2. You cannot be certain it is a man. fair enough, like the debunking claims telling gender from skeletons is hard. Even with a living person gender tests are really difficult.

3. there is not enough evidence to say the person was gay or transgender. This is putting very modern definitions on someone thousands of years ago which are probably a bad fit.

Supposing that he is found to likely be a he, and especially if more such finds occur I still think it is an interesting case. It does seem to imply that gender roles in the past may not have been as simple as pop evolutionary psychology talking heads make it sound.

Oh I'm not denying it is an extraordinary find. I just hate when the media jump to conclusions and end up making science look silly. like the great Ida debacle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jesse Ventura v Michael Shermer re: 9/11 inside job...

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/

Last 20-25 minutes of the show (April 11)

Warning: it is infuriating. Ventura just talks over Shermer the whole time, and jumps from one point to the next while Shermer is addressing it. Absolute cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Dave! wrote: »
    Jesse Ventura v Michael Shermer re: 9/11 inside job...

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/

Last 20-25 minutes of the show (April 11)

Warning: it is infuriating. Ventura just talks over Shermer the whole time, and jumps from one point to the next while Shermer is addressing it. Absolute cúnt.

I think "I" did a great job in that debate :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

High praise indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Guardian's Comment-is-Free tries to figure out the personality of your average atheist:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/apr/11/aetheists-research-scientists

Having watched them tear through Gandhi, Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama apart I found this link in the sidebar. If it was from a right wing source or someone I didn't know I'd laugh it off but these guys have a good record.

Penn and Teller Bull****: Recycling :eek:

That's the first part of 3. I found it a very interesting watch cause as they say we (most Atheists anywho) already agree psychics, mediums, gods etc are a load of bollox but this is something we all believe in and it seems we might be wrong!

robindch wrote: »
    The Guardian's Comment-is-Free tries to figure out the personality of your average atheist:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/apr/11/aetheists-research-scientists
    with higher levels of education and income

Will someone tell this to my employer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I know there's a few posters here interested in the Singularity/transhumanism/etc., I thought ye might be interested in the documentary 'Transcendent Man' about Ray Kurzweil. I only happened upon it by chance while browsing yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Having watched them tear through Gandhi, Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama apart I found this link in the sidebar. If it was from a right wing source or someone I didn't know I'd laugh it off but these guys have a good record.

Penn and Teller Bull****: Recycling :eek:

That's the first part of 3. I found it a very interesting watch cause as they say we (most Atheists anywho) already agree psychics, mediums, gods etc are a load of bollox but this is something we all believe in and it seems we might be wrong!

Penn and Teller are EXTREMELY right-wing tbh, which helps me watch their shows. :pac:

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Penn and Teller are EXTREMELY right-wing tbh, which helps me watch their shows. :pac:

True I guess I meant socially right wing like religious conservatives etc.

Advertisement