Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

POTD_MAIN_385x255_380763a.jpg
    Galvasean wrote: »
    You know worker ants follow their leader's instructions without question...
    Bow before me insects!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I believe there was a study done with birds where they would take two male birds and attempt to make one look for attractive by giving it an artifically bigger tail, or a little decorative 'hat' on its head. Then they released one female into the cage to see which one she would choose. It turns out that the female chose the male which was 'dressed up' the majority of the time. I don't have a link or anything, it was on TV when I saw it.

I've certainly read bits and pieces on the subject. In general, I think the idea is that it makes the face look more youthful, more healthy, more symmetrical - all desirable traits. It also emphasises lips and eyes. I'll see if I can dig up some research.

Visual examples!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I believe there was a study done with birds where they would take two male birds and attempt to make one look for attractive by giving it an artifically bigger tail, or a little decorative 'hat' on its head. Then they released one female into the cage to see which one she would choose. It turns out that the female chose the male which was 'dressed up' the majority of the time. I don't have a link or anything, it was on TV when I saw it.

I remember seeing something similar on TV. Lionesses (sp? - female lions) when presented with two males of equal physical size/health etc. will always go for the one with the darker mane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I totally have to dye my mane.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

An excellent and simple study design with really interesting results. The video that goes with it is great too :pac:

The research paper is available free at:
    http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060202

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Shock, horror! God, it seems, may have been feeding his reps bad advice.

According to recent research, men in polygamist societies may live significantly longer than monogamists:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14564-polygamy-is-the-key-to-a-long-life.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news6_head_dn14564

I don't believe it's the first time that these particular church records have been mined. I've a vague memory of a paper a few years ago which suggested that women with live-in grannies had statistically significantly higher numbers of kids than women who lived without grannies. No news on how the fathers fared. Poorly, I'd imagine.

It would also be interesting to see if there's been any good sociological research done here, to establish what reproductive effects a pervasive, but non-militaristic, religion might have upon societies, as opposed, say, to reproductive conditions in a irreligious society. I'm inclined to think that the effects are quite dramatic, but have no stats to back up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I thought people around here would appreciate this. It's not strictly evolution related - maybe more abiogenesis related, but nevertheless very interesting:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080919075007.htm

iUseVi wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I thought people around here would appreciate this. It's not strictly evolution related - maybe more abiogenesis related, but nevertheless very interesting:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080919075007.htm

That's really interesting... They're now wondering if they might find amino acids in the interstellar medium. That would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

New improved Irish Humanist website:

www.humanism.ie

Includes info on the commonly asked questions regarding weddings and funerals for non-believer types.

Galvasean wrote: »

Niches for the win. That's an interesting read, cheers Galv.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The most interesting article I have read in a long time.

A community of the bacteria Candidatus Desulforudis audaxviator has been discovered 2.8 kilometres beneath the surface of the Earth in fluid-filled cracks of the Mponeng goldmine in South Africa.

"Virtually all other known ecosystems on Earth that don't use sunlight directly do use some product of photosynthesis.

Chivian's analysis shows that D. audaxviator gets its energy from the radioactive decay of uranium in the surrounding rocks. It has genes to extract carbon from dissolved carbon dioxide and other genes to fix nitrogen, which comes from the surrounding rocks. Both carbon and nitrogen are essential building blocks for life as we know it, and are used in the building blocks of proteins, amino acids. D. audaxviator has genes to produce all the amino acids it needs.

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn14906-goldmine-bug-dna-may-be-key-to-alien-life.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news1_head_dn14906

marco_polo wrote: »
    The most interesting article I have read in a long time.

A community of the bacteria Candidatus Desulforudis audaxviator has been discovered 2.8 kilometres beneath the surface of the Earth in fluid-filled cracks of the Mponeng goldmine in South Africa.

"Virtually all other known ecosystems on Earth that don't use sunlight directly do use some product of photosynthesis.

Chivian's analysis shows that D. audaxviator gets its energy from the radioactive decay of uranium in the surrounding rocks. It has genes to extract carbon from dissolved carbon dioxide and other genes to fix nitrogen, which comes from the surrounding rocks. Both carbon and nitrogen are essential building blocks for life as we know it, and are used in the building blocks of proteins, amino acids. D. audaxviator has genes to produce all the amino acids it needs.

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn14906-goldmine-bug-dna-may-be-key-to-alien-life.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news1_head_dn14906

Gives us a much greater hope of finding such microbial life on another planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

'Missing link' fossil stuck its neck out

It didn't just have protolimbs, it had a mobile neck as well. More details have emerged about the anatomy of Tiktaalik, the "fishopod" that bridges the gap in evolutionary history between swimming fish and four-legged land-dwelling animals. The new findings bolster its position as a key transition or "missing link" fossil.
    http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn14952-missing-link-fossil-stuck-its-neck-out.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

50 reasons to believe in God

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=50_reasons_to_believe_in_god

... and their Atheist responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Evolution pops up all over boards. A while ago, the idea of a dedicated evolutionary forum was floated, but it didn't come to pass. If it had, I expect evo threads would still spring up in lots of different forums anyway.

My way of keeping track is searching recent posts for a bunch of evolutionary terms, then tagging any relevant new threads with 'evolution'. There are quite a few now - see here - and there could be more, as much of what's posted in palaeontology fits the bill.

So if you find any good threads you'd like to flag, then great - it'll give me something to read anyway.

(PS - not all are of my doing - e.g. the 'pro evolution soccer' thread)

*tags random threads with 'evolution' * :pac:

Dave! wrote: »
    *tags random threads with 'evolution' * :pac:

Well yes, it could happen. I hope Ken Ham isn't a boards member.

• Advertisement

You may notice a new addition with a thread from the Ladies' Lounge :D

Dave! wrote: »
    You may notice a new addition with a thread from the Ladies' Lounge :D

Sexual selection / female choice - all grist to the mill. Not sure I've time to read it all - could you do up an abstract?

sdep wrote: »
    Evolution pops up all over boards. A while ago, the idea of a dedicated evolutionary forum was floated, but it didn't come to pass.

Yes, that was my baby. :(

Maybe if I'd pushed for an Evolution Versus Creationism angle it might have seemed more feasible. I dunno.

Yes, that was my baby. :(

Maybe if I'd pushed for an Evolution Versus Creationism angle it might have seemed more feasible. I dunno.

Don't mention the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

My favourite evolutionary biologist is on TV Monday night (15th Dec). Jared Diamond is presenting the TV series of Guns, Germs & Steel on the History Channel. Here's hoping it's half as good as the book! I've already got it set to record on Sky+ as a series link.

Cool. I consider his thesis to be the best explanation as to why we exist in the world we do today.

Another piece of History Channel fun I get to miss on account of having a half-assed TV package.

At least my broadband is incredibly awesome.

Another piece of History Channel fun I get to miss on account of having a half-assed TV package.

At least my broadband is incredibly awesome.

I'd imagine it will show up on a torrent somewhere. Keep an eye out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Jared Diamond is presenting the TV series of Guns, Germs & Steel on the History Channel. Here's hoping it's half as good as the book!
    In all fairness to young Diamond, he's a cracking cultural and evolutionary psychologist, but he's not a great presenter. The book's much better.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    My favourite evolutionary biologist

Liar! You don't have a favourite evolutionary biologist. You can't have one. You... you... you're a Christian! :pac:

Advertisement