Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ever curious what photos were included on the Voyager probe, well here's the answer

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-awesome-image-may-be-found-by-aliens-one-day-along-1542854215

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Scientists announce that they've found evidence which is 5-sigma consistent with gravitational waves from the very early moments of the Big Bang. If the findings are confirmed, then it's a major discovery.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26605974

One of the colleagues of Andre Linde, one of the principal physicists behind the theory, dropped by Linde's house to tell him of the news and amongst much else, Linde made the rather wonderful comment - "What if I am tricked? What if I believe this just because it is beautiful?" - even with initial experimental confirmation of his life's work, he remains skeptical. Way to go, Andrei.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

1000 years of changing borders in Europe.

I can say with certainty that the Ireland bit is very accurate and shows the whole 800 years of occupation slogan as the crap it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I can say with certainty that the Ireland bit is very accurate and shows the whole 800 years of occupation slogan as the crap it is...

Great link, thanks!

My mind was somewhat blown watching Poland, it makes Irish historical boundary changes look trivial by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Not sure that I don't prefer that to "ahh shur we nearly had them beaten in the 1400s" :pac:

• Advertisement

Not sure that I don't prefer that to "ahh shur we nearly had them beaten in the 1400s" :pac:

At least that would be nearly accurate. 'We allied with them to get one over our cousins and neighbours and feck it when all our cousins were all dead and our neighbours were conquered didn't they only come for me next' would be completely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobody said it was 800 contiguous years of occupation! :mad:

Actually. Just watched that again. Howth. Was Howth occupied for 800 years? In a row? They couldn't have just 'invented' that 800 years thing? That would be disingenuous and misleading...

As a side question, does anybody have clear and unambiguous definitions of 'Irish', 'English', and 'British'? Definitions that remain valid while considered in the context of the time span of the video? Can be quite difficult to imagine who might have been who. Weren't the first 'English invaders' actually Norman? As in French? Where we're all the Celtic shirt-wearing geniuses when France played in Croke Park?

:D

endacl wrote: »

Actually. Just watched that again. Howth. Was Howth occupied for 800 years? In a row? They couldn't have just 'invented' that 800 years thing? That would be disingenuous and misleading...

As a side question, does anybody have clear and unambiguous definitions of 'Irish', 'English', and 'British'? Definitions that remain valid while considered in the context of the time span of the video? Can be quite difficult to imagine who might have been who. Weren't the first 'English invaders' actually Norman? As in French? Where we're all the Celtic shirt-wearing geniuses when France played in Croke Park?

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs.
    Other than just using geography, born on the island of Ireland = Irish, it all tends to break down the further back you go, and sure if everyone born on the island of Ireland were to be considered Irish, the republicans would have apoplexy.
    The Normans weren't even really French, they were only settled in France 100? 200? years by the time they invaded England. As well call them Italians just because they occupied Sicily around the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs.
    Other than just using geography, born on the island of Ireland = Irish, it all tends to break down the further back you go, and sure if everyone born on the island of Ireland were to be considered Irish, the republicans would have apoplexy.

And the immigration control people! Remember Aine whatserface?

endacl wrote: »

Have heard the 800 BS referred to many a time here on Boards.
    As if we could possibly be taught stuff in school that is disingenuous and misleading...:P

'Irish' is an English construct - 'English' is pretty much a Norman construct but really came into its own during the Tudor period, 'British' is a Stuart construct. Handy terms to apply when attempting to construct a centralised nation State but in 'race' terms pretty meaningless.

The 'first English' invaders (who were actually paid mercenaries) were the descendants of Ostmen (Norse) who settled in 'Normandy' married into the local Frankish aristocracy and acculturated. Their offspring followed William to England but some settled in Wales where they married into the Briton aristocracy and began to acculturate.

In fact the vast majority of these 1169 'invaders' were descended from Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor and Nest ferch Rhys, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr (modern spelling is Tudor) so are properly called Cambro-Normans. The main branch calling itself FitzGerald.

Anglo-Normans didn't arrive until a few years later and were brought over to curb the Cambro-Normans who were busy inter-marrying with the Gaelic Irish aristocracy and looking like they may carve out independent kingdoms for themselves...the Anglo-Normans also began to marry into the Gaelic Irish aristocracy and some had completely acculturated within two generations - hence that whole 'more Irish than the Irish themselves'. The most 'Irish' being the á Búrc (de Burgh) of Mayo.
    That is what the map shows - cycles of localised invasion followed by inter-marriage followed by acculturation until we get to the Tudors and their introduction of Centralisation, Race theories, concentration camps and genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Awesome link bann,
    Jernal wrote: »
    This blog post explains the significance of the discovery rather brilliantly.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs..

Of them all, only really English has any hope of being applicable over the majority of the last 1,000 years. While there were some severe regional differences, the idea of an English nation peopled by an English race has the longest currency of all the nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the vast majority of these 1169 'invaders' were descended from Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor and Nest ferch Rhys, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr (modern spelling is Tudor) so are properly called Cambro-Normans. The main branch calling itself FitzGerald..
    Heh.. no wonder Maggie Thatcher always had such respect for our Garret.
    She a humble grocer's daughter, and he the descendant of kings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Am I the only one who noticed Germany during the 1940s? I thought it looked a little inaccurate.

Of them all, only really English has any hope of being applicable over the majority of the last 1,000 years. While there were some severe regional differences, the idea of an English nation peopled by an English race has the longest currency of all the nationalities.

Sort of...England/ Angelnen (land of the Angles/Anglish) consisted of Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia to be exact. The Angles were from Angeln in the Schleswig region of what is now Germany. Angles still live there - but they are not 'English'. Are the 'English' really German?

What is clear is they rarely called themselves Anglo-Saxons - they may on occasion define themselves as ængli or Seaxe but usually used more 'localised' terms such as Mierce, Norþanhymbre or Westseaxe.

It was the Saxons of Wessex who actually created the short-lived 'Anglo-Saxon' Kingdom of 'England' only to see one third of it 'lost' to the Danelaw by 886 - what followed was pushing and shoving of borders until William arrived in 1066 and dismissed the whole lot of them as 'English' and firmly lesser than 'Norman'.

It really was the (Welsh) Tudors who enshrined the concept of 'English' as part of their centralisation polices - much as they pushed the idea of 'Irish'

Am I the only one who noticed Germany during the 1940s? I thought it looked a little inaccurate.

Too busy looking at Ireland...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

It really was the (Welsh) Tudors who enshrined the concept of 'English' as part of their centralisation polices - much as they pushed the idea of 'Irish'

As I said "has any hope".

As I said "has any hope".

It could be argued that the Gaelic Irish win (;)) as they had a concept of 'Irish'* based on general descent from a common ancestor, shared geographical location since around 500 BC , codified legal system, common culture and common language with minor regional variations.

The fact that Ireland had a stable 'civilisation' dating from pre-Christian times which survived and thrived until the early 17th century is why Continental European Universities are so fascinated by 'us' and consider 'us' a very worthy field for study and research...pity 'we' don't feel the same...:mad:

*Irish in this case being more akin to us calling ourselves European than having any nationalist connotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like the Vikings win. Angeln is more Danish than German, and later these immigrant Angles were superseded by fresh Danes to create the Danelaw, and later again both were subjugated by the Normans, also descended from Vikings.
    The Normans came to Ireland, landing in Waterford and taking it from....more Vikings. They were everywhere. Even the Rus of Russia were Vikings.

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like the Vikings win. Angeln is more Danish than German, and later these immigrant Angles were superseded by fresh Danes to create the Danelaw, and later again both were subjugated by the Normans, also descended from Vikings.
    The Normans came to Ireland, landing in Waterford and taking it from....more Vikings. They were everywhere. Even the Rus of Russia were Vikings.

Pedant Alert

'Viking' is technically a verb - as in they went aviking - not a noun. There were no people called themselves Vikings - there were various peoples who lived in what is now called Scandinavia who engaged in viking.

:p

• Advertisement

Best. Verb. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think Poland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have been around as nations for at least that long (and roughly the same shape as they are now).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Am I watching the same link - that only has 100 years?

Also, apparently Greece was still in the Ottoman empire at 1877 judging by that video, and I don't think that's correct..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gordon wrote: »
    Am I watching the same link - that only has 100 years?
    Different videos, although as far as I can tell it has changed slightly as the original link had the years at the bottom and now it doesn't and edit, after watching it, it is a completely different video, and is not the last 1000 years

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Right, just reading the youtube comments, someone asked why they had changed it to 100 years. I didn't think you could change the video once it's uploaded to YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Pedant Alert

'Viking' is technically a verb - as in they went aviking - not a noun. There were no people called themselves Vikings - there were various peoples who lived in what is now called Scandinavia who engaged in viking.

Slightly off topic:

In the sci-fi novel "India's Story" by Kathlyn Starbuck, there are several characters with the ability to mind read. One of them particularly enjoyed reading the mind of folk who were having sex. This was known as 'Viking' within the novel, a contraction of vicarious pleasure.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Pedant Alert

1066 - The Battle For Middle Earth describes them as vikingr, which I presume is the noun form of the verb...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pedant Alert

But who shall out-pedant those selfsame pedants? I shall, that's who.

It's true that "viking" is formed from a "vik-" root plus an "-ing" suffix. "Vik-" means either a creek, inlet, bay (in which case "viking" is someone associated with such places, i.e. someone who engages in coastal navigation) or else a camp (in which case a viking is someone associated with temporary encampments). The Vikings were associated with both, so take your pick.

But the "-ing" suffix is not verbal. In a range of Teutonic languages, it indicates "belonging to", "of the kind of". So a Viking is somebody associated with the coast, or alternatively somebody associated with temporary encampments. But the Vikings didn't go off a-viking any more than your darling goes off a-darling.

The same -ing suffix gives us king ("kin-" plus "-ing", one belonging to the race, the tribe, the nobility), shilling (something belonging to the class of things which make a ringing sound, or alternatively belonging to the class of things which are divided into equal segments), farthing (something belonging to the class of things which are divided into fourths), darling (someone belonging to the class of things which are dear to us), building (as a noun, something belonging to the class of things which are built), herring (uncertain, but possibly belong to the class of things which come in large groups), gelding (something or someone belonging to the class of things which are barren).

And this is also where we get the -ing, -ling suffixes that we use as diminutives today. e.g. princeling.

Advertisement