Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Interesting Stuff Thread

189111314219

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig




  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    This weeks issue of NewScientist's editorial paid homage to Darwin (and Bill O'Reilly's idiocy), the magazine also features a lovely feature on how an updated Origin of Species Book might be filled in.
    This month marks the 150th anniversary of the most influential piece of popular science writing ever published.

    A few years ago, New Scientist listed reading On The Origin of Species as one of the 100 things to do before you die. To do so is to experience the extraordinary sensation of having a scientific genius enter your mind to guide you through his most important theory.

    Now we have asked the geneticist, evolutionary thinker and author Steve Jones to summarise and update the book for the 21st century - and, we hope, to inspire readers to experience Darwin's astounding, world-changing writing first-hand.
    Well worth a Read. :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving


    Can we make this a general science thread? I think the recent discovery of water on the moon is exciting news.


  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats


    Has everybody got there free poster from the OU in association with the BBC if not here is the link ;)

    https://css2.open.ac.uk/outis/1alight/(w0cabdrwc0zpxw55utamtz45)/o1ayourrqst.aspx?CATCODE=OZLLIF

    I have mine it's cool and totally free, no need to leave any details apart from your name and address ( well how are they going to post it) :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    Can we make this a general science thread? I think the recent discovery of water on the moon is exciting news.

    I think if was general science it would be impossible to keep up with as there could be far too many posts of interest..

    Like the idea though.:)


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades


    Can we make this a general science thread? I think the recent discovery of water on the moon is exciting news.
    Not a bad idea. Post away. :)


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect


    The Evolution & Interesting Science Thread

    Since when is Evolution not an interesting Science?


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    Dades wrote: »
    Not a bad idea. Post away. :)

    Awesome!

    I'll get the ball rolling then. :)

    13 Things that [currently] do not make sense.

    13 MORE Things that [currently] do not make sense.

    What exactly is a meant by a day?


    A more realistic look at the warming debate from the scientific viewpoint.
    Excellent series of videos, it's just a shame that all this correcting of rubbish media misconceptions must be done.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    5uspect wrote: »
    Since when is Evolution not an interesting Science?

    Agreed,

    How bout
    "Evolution and Other Interesting Science Stuff."?


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades


    Done.









    You fussy bastards ;-)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH


    Malty_T wrote: »

    Ugh, the "Belfast Homoeopathy trials" yet again, what a rag that magazine is, never bothered with it since this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Scientist#EmDrive_article_controversy

    That's without the "Darwin was wrong" cover from January.

    Waste of paper.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    pH wrote: »
    Ugh, the "Belfast Homoeopathy trials" yet again, what a rag that magazine is, never bothered with it since this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Scientist#EmDrive_article_controversy

    That's without the "Darwin was wrong" cover from January.

    Waste of paper.

    Even with that woeful sensationalist let's get creationists to buy this magazine blunder, I still read it.:o

    It's coverage of Swine Flu, in particular, has been commendable.
    (Although Sciam bunked it out of the water recently.)

    As for homeopathy thingy, well there is a plethora of comments on that issue and as along as NS doesn't go the way of creationists with regard to censoring web comments, I think I'll stick with them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH


    Islam comes to terms with evolution
    http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1258445657737&pagename=Zone-English-HealthScience%2FHSELayout

    (Bonus points for reading the text on the figure "Giraffe's evolution to meet needs.")


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    Dades wrote: »
    Done.









    You fussy bastards ;-)

    First you allow CreationismLOLisms, now a thread title change....


    *Rocks back and forth in the foetal position in a dark corner, pausing occasionaly to utter the word 'rape'*


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades


    Next there'll be articles that start with: "Boffins have discovered a new way to..."

    :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    Dades wrote: »
    Next there'll be articles that start with: "Boffins have discovered a new way to..."

    :p

    freak%20out.gif


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror


    Dades wrote: »
    Next there'll be articles that start with: "Boffins have discovered a new way to..."

    :p

    Are you a scientist? If not, you can't use that word. It's our word. We took it back. You have to say "the B word".


  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling


    The Origin of Species is 150 years old today.
    There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

    Amen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme


    darjeeling wrote: »
    The Origin of Species is 150 years old today.



    Amen.
    Happy Birthday!
    I'm looking at a Horizon program on BBC 2 about consciousness, the idea of self, great stuff to get one thinking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    National Geographic are running an article on Evolution V Intelligent Design. It's basically a short version of the infamous superthread:

    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/photogalleries/091123-origin-species-darwin-150-intelligent-design/index.html


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving


    Scientific theory which discusses the diversity of life, but not the origin of life vs Hypothesis which assumes the conclusion that an intelligent agent created life on earth


    Hmm...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex


    Galvasean wrote: »
    National Geographic are running an article on Evolution V Intelligent Design. It's basically a short version of the infamous superthread:

    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/photogalleries/091123-origin-species-darwin-150-intelligent-design/index.html

    It falsely implies the old argument that if evolution is wrong that some how demonstrates or supports Intelligent Design, as if that is the only alternative. It is like "Here is a problem with evolution, this is our argument for ID". Which is nonsense, it is like saying proving General Relativity wrong supports my world on the back of a turtle hypothesis.

    Quite annoying that the NG would play that Creationist game, probably just by accident.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    Wicknight wrote: »
    It falsely implies the old argument that if evolution is wrong that some how demonstrates or supports Intelligent Design, as if that is the only alternative. It is like "Here is a problem with evolution, this is our argument for ID". Which is nonsense, it is like saying proving General Relativity wrong supports my world on the back of a turtle hypothesis.

    Quite annoying that the NG would play that Creationist game, probably just by accident.

    That wasn't my reading of it at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    #1

    #2


    #3


    #4 (This one has a brilliant analogy explaining transitional forms.


    #5


    This post is dedicated to docdolittle and smithy1981.
    C'mon guys, evolutions rocks!!
    It's well worth your while to learn about it. :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving


    Enclyclopedia Brittanica Article on Atheism, well worth a read:

    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/40634/atheism


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean




  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    Good Placebo (if it actually does work) though..



  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden


    Don't think this has been posted before, pretty awesome comparison of sizes from coffee bean down to Carbon atom.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!


    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ITALY_ROBOTIC_HAND?SITE=VOICESD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

    ROME (AP) -- A group of European scientists said Wednesday they have successfully connected a robotic hand to an amputee, allowing him to feel sensations in the artificial limb and control it with his thoughts.

    The experiment lasted a month, and scientists say it was the first time a patient has been able to make complex movements using his mind to control a biomechanic hand connected to his nervous system.

    The Italian-led team said at a news conference Wednesday in Rome that last year it implanted electrodes into the arm of the patient who had lost his left hand and forearm in a car accident.

    The prosthetic was not implanted on the patient, only connected through the electrodes. During the news conference, video was shown of 26-year-old Pierpaolo Petruzziello as he concentrated to give orders to the hand placed next to him.

    etc


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving


    Dave! wrote: »
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ITALY_ROBOTIC_HAND?SITE=VOICESD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

    ROME (AP) -- A group of European scientists said Wednesday they have successfully connected a robotic hand to an amputee, allowing him to feel sensations in the artificial limb and control it with his thoughts.

    The experiment lasted a month, and scientists say it was the first time a patient has been able to make complex movements using his mind to control a biomechanic hand connected to his nervous system.

    The Italian-led team said at a news conference Wednesday in Rome that last year it implanted electrodes into the arm of the patient who had lost his left hand and forearm in a car accident.

    The prosthetic was not implanted on the patient, only connected through the electrodes. During the news conference, video was shown of 26-year-old Pierpaolo Petruzziello as he concentrated to give orders to the hand placed next to him.

    etc

    Why won't God heal amputees?





    Because he isn't there. Science is.


Advertisement