Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting to see who is most concerned and commenting at the end of that article, this comment is typical;
    they have been showing strong support for Zionism recently, Its just that this is to further promote the Anti Islamic Islamophobia Agenda.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

However, it is still off-limits under the Dutch law to insult police officers or the country’s monarch, Queen Beatrix.

g2gyp.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

However, it is still off-limits under the Dutch law to insult ... the country’s monarch, Queen Beatrix.

Mr Queen Beatrix* has to think very carefully before responding to questions like 'Does our bum look big in this?' and 'Does one like our hair?' Answers like 'In comparison to what?' and 'Indeed, one has always found startled punk badgers attractive' are completely out of the question.

*Dear A&A pedants, I know that Mr Queen Beatrix aka Claus von Amsberg died in 2002 but that spoils the joke like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm not sure if this was relevant, but I overheard Ray D'Arcy this morning responding to a few texters saying that, as an atheist, he shouldn't celebrate Christmas. It was nice to hear him refute their statements by saying that Christmas pretty much copied the old winter solstice festival. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

recedite wrote: »
    Interesting to see who is most concerned and commenting at the end of that article, this comment is typical;
    :)

Well, the website in question is PressTV, aka, The Iranian Government, so I wouldn't be surprised if the comments were from a slightly skewed perspective.

EDIT:
    I am also consistently amazed that people can so brazenly simply declare that certain kinds of speech are not free speech because they don't like them. Just baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Scouts over in the UK might be rethinking this whole god-thing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20584208
    BBC wrote:
    The UK Scout Association is considering an alternative oath for atheists.

The 105-year-old movement is launching a consultation to see if members would back a Scout Promise for those who feel unable to pledge a "duty to God". Versions of the oath already exist for the Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist faiths, but this is the first time such an adaptation has been considered.

In March, the National Secular Society said atheist children and potential Scout leaders were being put off. Membership of the Scouts has increased from 444,936 in 2005 to 525,364 this year. But the movement needs more volunteers - it says that at present there are over 35,000 young people on waiting lists.

Girlguiding UK has also announced it will launch a consultation on the wording of their promise, which will start on 4 January 2013.

More than 50 scout groups catering for young people drawn mainly from Muslim, Hindu and Sikh communities have opened in the last 10 years. The Scout Association says its existing promise, which also contains a vow of allegiance to the Queen, would continue to be used alongside any new version.

UK Scout Chief Commissioner Wayne Bulpitt added: "We are a values-based movement and exploring faith and religion will remain a key element of the Scouting programme. That will not change. "However, throughout our 105-year history, we have continued to evolve so that we remain relevant to communities across the UK. "We do that by regularly seeking the views of our members and we will use the information gathered by the consultation to help shape the future of Scouting for the coming years."

The existing Scout Promise reads: "On my honour, I promise that I will do my best, to do my duty to God and to the Queen, to help other people and to keep the Scout Law." The alternative versions introduced more than 40 years ago allow Hindus and Buddhists to use the word "my Dharma" and Muslims "Allah" instead of God. Non UK citizens are able to replace the phrase "duty to the Queen" with "duty to the country in which I am now living".

In March, the National Secular Society, which aims to restrict the role of religion in public life, wrote to Chief Scout Bear Grylls, complaining that atheist children were being excluded or having to lie to join the movement. Responding to the consultation announcement, NSS president Terry Sanderson, said: "This is a move in the right direction. "By adjusting their promise to include people without a religious belief, the Scouts will bring themselves in line with the reality of 21st century Britain."

The news of the two consultations has been welcomed by the British Humanist Association (BHA), a charity which campaigns for an end to any mandatory promise to God or another deity or religion. Their Chief Executive Andrew Copson said: "With two-thirds of young people today reporting themselves as not religious and a growing proportion not believing in any god, it is important that the promise should be inclusive.

"The current situation is unfair on those who are excluded from what is often the only organisation of its kind in the area - and one which has received considerable state funding. "It is vital that these changes are realised," he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I just saw this video posted on Twitter. It shows the discoveries of all known asteroids since 1980:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

postitnote wrote: »
    I just saw this video posted on Twitter. It shows the discoveries of all known asteroids since 1980. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xJsUDcSc6hE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've never tried embedding a vid before, and i'm in work. So if it fails please someone feel free to repost the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJsUDcSc6hE&feature=youtu.be

Watching the growth in discoveries was slightly hypnotic.

God bless you Robin.
    I looked at your edit and I think I know how to embed now.

God bless you Robin.

Gets popcorn.....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Didn't specify which god, or indeed, which version of which god ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Didn't specify which god, or indeed, which version of which god ;)

Oooooh s/he's throwing out some bait too.

Jernal wrote: »
    Oooooh s/he's throwing out some bait too.

Very Fishy

Christian_Fish.png

You calling me a Hermaphrodite?
    What would be the stance of churches on hermaphrodites just out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hey, this is no plaice for fish puns.

Sarky wrote: »
    Hey, this is no plaice for fish puns.

What a load of codswallop. :mad:

You calling me a Hermaphrodite?

They are not mentioned in the Bible so don't exist?

Sure 'love the sinner hate the sin' (:confused:) would be trotted out...though what the 'sin' is would remain unclear....

Jernal wrote: »
    What a load of codswallop. :mad:

I'm having a whale of a time with these fishy puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm having a whale of a time with these fishy puns.
    ... whale... fishy puns
    whale
    fishy

angry-desk-flip.svg

/marine scientist

angry-desk-flip.svg

/marine scientist

:D

My Bad.

When I'm good, I'm very very good. But when I am bad I am better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They are to celibacy what the capybara is to meat on a Friday. You can have one and it's not a sin.

Dades wrote: »
    They are to celibacy what the capybara is to meat on a Friday. You can have one and it's not a sin.

Please please please Tweet the Pope and ask him what the RCC stance is!

If the pope was a hermaphrodite could you tell him to go f*ck himself?

(Unsure of the mechanics of what a hermaphrodite is capable of)

Now, now. If the capybara can be a fish then so too can a whale. :pac:

A lot of these shots look, at best, charitable edits and complete setups at worst. But I'd certainly concede the faintest possibility:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Doggiedoggie!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    A lot of these shots look, at best, charitable edits and complete setups at worst. But I'd certainly concede the faintest possibility:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593
    I want to know what happens when one of those bitches goes to Saudi on holidays and wants to rent a car! :pac:

Trailer for the new Star Trek movie. Contains water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Speaking as someone who has had sex, are we supposed to know the bad-guy?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Trailer for the new Star Trek movie. Contains water.

SQUEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!

Speaking as someone who has had sex, are we supposed to know the bad-guy?

It's elementary my dear Cohen.

Advertisement