Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City bypass works begin in earnest.

Options
  • 05-09-2006 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda suprised no one has already started a thread on this, the bypass section between Kilmeaden and Killotteran at Doonen is under way as is work down to the river side and at Granny/Granagh.

If you commute into Waterford from the west get used to earth moving vehicles clogging up the roads for the next 3 years. :(

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I was wondering if there was going to be any road work done there when I passed it by over the weekend. Seems it's going to happen sooner than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

From the News & Star, last week:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story.asp?j=22974

Building Waterford’s future

WITH the earthmovers now at various locations along the 23-kilometer route of what will be the city bypass, the enormity of the forty-one month project — which will also involve the construction of the country’s biggest bridge — is becoming evident from Slieverue in South Kilkenny to Kilmeaden in Co. Waterford.

The sod was turned on the project in April and now five months on, the advance technical work — involving between 70 and 80 people working with four different companies from a depot established at the former Roadstone compound in Grannagh, is about complete.

Out at Grannagh there’s a truly international feel about the operation with technical staff from Ireland, England, Scotland and Spain all involved. Some are working for the NRA, which is the client for the project, and there are four design teams, PH McCarthy, Ove Arup & Partners and two Spanish companies, Eptisa and Casaro.

On site also are the contractors — Waterford Joint Venture — which is effectively Ascon and the Spanish company Dragados and last but not least Celtic Roads Group (CRG), who are the concessionaires who signed the contract with the NRA to build, operate and maintain the bypass for thirty years.

Tom Hartery, of Waterford City Council, is the project liaison officer and the NRA’s representative on site is bridge engineer, Simon Merrick.

In terms of bridge building, they don’t come any better than this unassuming Welsh man, who has worked on major projects around the world and, most notably, new bridges in Hong Kong and Thailand.

Nonchalantly, he describes our second river crossing as “a big project,” but he points out that, when completed, it will be Ireland’s biggest bridge.

Just about now sees the real physical start of the project which, according to Simon Merrick, will have peaks and troughs in the labour force at various stages of construction. However, he predicts that at peak up to 200 people could be working on the biggest piece of road infrastructure ever undertaken in Waterford.

The initial phases of the work will be at a section near Mullinabro, on the new N9 link in the area of Kilmacow, and the third will be on the south side of the river between Kilmeaden and the city.

The biggest feature of the entire project will be the cable stay-bridge. Work will most probably start before the end of this year but it will be well into next year before any physical elements of the build will become apparent.

Altogether it will take approximately three years to build the city’s second river crossing.

Simon Merrick said that the effect on local road users would be probably quite noticeable by the end of next year. “They may see some works at the roundabout on the road but it would not affect traffic probably until the end of next year,” he stated.

For example, traffic will have already been diverted onto the permanent new route at Grannagh before the work on that junction gets started. “Generally you build the new road and put traffic on it,” said the bridge engineer.

The intention was that there would be very little and, if at all possible, no disruption.

“They will work away from traffic and away from people if at all possible,” he continued. He stressed again that the intention was not to make people’s lives more difficult.

Meanwhile, the CPO process was continuing for the land required to re-route the bypass around the Woodstown site but that will not impinge, in any way, on work continuing on the remainder of the bypass.

Up to now, a huge amount of the work has been surveying the site and hedgerow clearance. Along the route there are twenty plus access points which have all be checked out for traffic and a safety audit has been completed.

In addition to what has been happening in the offices at Grannagh, a lot of the work has been done on paper in three different offices in three different countries.

“It all seems slow but a lot of work has actually been done and now we are ready to get the big machines moving. We would hope to see some signs in the next month but the actual work won’t get going until next year,” stated Simon Merrick.

Asked what would happen to the rock and soil moved for the road building, Tom Hartery, liaison officer, said that all of the earth removed from the site will be used to fill valley areas.

There will, however, be some excess mud but that will be used for landscaping and for the provision of sound barriers. “The contractor does not want to move material off site because it is expensive and it does not gain him anything. Neither do they want big trucks on the road,” he added.

Nonetheless, there will be some road vehicle movements particularly in the south side in the areas quite close to Kilmeaden but that will be relatively short.

On the second river crossing, he declared, “It is not a toll bridge. This is merely one of four tolls between Cork and Dublin and it just so happens this one in Waterford is a logical stage in having tolled main roads through the whole country.”

Simon Merrick expressed the belief that when the bypass is completed people would take the least difficult route around the city. He added that if it were deemed necessary there would be an option to make travelling through the city a lot more difficult. What he was suggesting was re-setting traffic lights when the by-pass is open so that vehicles will hit every single red light and make life really difficult so as to discourage unnecessary traffic going through the city.

Tom Hartery maintained that taking into consideration the cost in fuel, time and maintenance of a truck, it would be more cost-efficient using the toll. Initially, he said, there would be three toll booths in each direction.

The purchase of passes in advance would be among the options to keep traffic moving but even if there was a queue, he believed that traffic shouldn’t have to stop that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This legendary bridge sounds better and better with each passing decade! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

merlante wrote:
    This legendary bridge sounds better and better with each passing decade! :D

Just give it another 20 years and it will be unreal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

On the second river crossing, he declared, “It is not a toll bridge. This is merely one of four tolls between Cork and Dublin and it just so happens this one in Waterford is a logical stage in having tolled main roads through the whole country.”

But this route isn't part of the 'official' Dublin- Cork route. That is the M7/8.
    I don't agree that it is 'logical' that an essential city bypass be tolled. Look whats happened with the M50 one.
    All the same it is great to have solid progress on this crossing, it has cost the s east region immeasurably in delays and gridlock and lost business for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

'tis better to be built and tolled than not built and toll free:D

that way, the people have a choice. Use the non-toll bridge or the toll one. simple as that. The more people pay the toll the less busy the non-toll bridge will be, thus easier to get into the City.

True, I personally would gladly pay the toll if it meant I coould travel efficiently and quickly on a high quality road. Unfortunately most people in this country's experience of tolls has been the M50 and it delivers neither of the above.

Anyone know if this N25 project has a dedicated website for info relating to it?

Furthermore, anyone know if the N9 is going to be tolled anywhere along the route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The N18 Ennis bypass has a very good site informing the community week-by-week of the construction progress. I don't have the link, but it should be easily Google-able. It would be nice if they could do something for the N25.

That article says that the bridge will be Ireland's biggest. The one outside Drogheda is very impressive, so this one will be even more so... should be quite a sight on the way in from Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

waterford bypass due to be compleated december 2005 lol.how far away is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

When the the bridge is built it will be impressive.If I'm not mistaken the new bridge in New Ross will be even larger (1000m span).Therefore when completed we will at last have some significant infrastructure in our environs comparable with Cork/Limerick/Galway/Athlone/Sligo............................................../Ballymagash.

If they are actually tolling the bridge it is a bloody disgrace though. It might be part of a national road, but at that point it is also part of the city's infrastructure. If it is not a 'city bridge', and just a tollable bypass, then surely we can have another, untolled city bridge.

I don't recall bridges in other cities being tolled!

Eastlink and Westlink spring to mind

but on the other hand we will have a motorway (M9) to Dublin without it being Tolled

We can still use Rice Bridge without paying a toll and we will have a Dual carriageway all the way from Sallypark out to the new Grannagh Junction linking into the Limerick (N24) Dublin (M9) Wexford (N25) roads.

Cork (N25) can still be accessed via the Outer Ring & Western Link Junctions if you want to bypass Kilmeaden.

Bards wrote:
    Eastlink and Westlink spring to mind

but on the other hand we will have a motorway (M9) to Dublin without it being Tolled

We can still use Rice Bridge without paying a toll and we will have a Dual carriageway all the way from Sallypark out to the new Grannagh Junction linking into the Limerick (N24) Dublin (M9) Wexford (N25) roads.

Cork (N25) can still be accessed via the Outer Ring & Western Link Junctions if you want to bypass Kilmeaden.

There are an awful lot of bridges over the Liffey that aren't tolled in fairness. We're having 50% of our bridges tolled, which seems a bit harsh. It would be better if the toll was on the M9. (Although apparently it will still be the N9 because it'll be of dual carriageway standard as opposed to Motorway; i.e. there will be traffic lights/roundabouts at points.)

Sending everyone over Rice bridge defeats the purpose. For some people the bypass would otherwise be the most logical route for them to take. Nobody wants the toll to warp ordinary traffic flows. I heard that the city manager intends to put all the lights against traffic coming over Rice bridge that *aren't* destined for the city centre, in order to compel people to use the bypass.

The road to dublin will be HQDC, with grade seperated junctions and no traffic light controlled junctions. In order words a full blown Motorway in everything but name even with a design speed of 120Km/h

People living in the City will not have to use the new bridge and will more than likely be quicker to use the exisint bridge as there will be less traffic on the city's streets.

Drivers passing through will more than likely use the new bridge as the old routes will no longer be signposted.

Inhabitants living out by the Outer Ring Road will have the option of gaining access to the bypass via the new Carrickpherish road, and going down by bilberry or down Morley Terrace, and onto bridge street to cross the Suir.

It's the commuters approaching the City from the North that I feel sorry for, as the traffic lights will in most liklihood be set in such a way to deter them from using Rice Bride.

I still think it is better to have a tolled bridge than no bridge at all as it is the lesser of two evils. The rights and wrongs of this should be debated on another topic I feel

So why don't they call the blasted thing a motorway so? Every other road, M1-M8 (iirc.) is going to be a motorway (M route). I mean if we have the higher speed limit and grade separated junctions, what's the difference -- or is it just a token insult to Waterford?

As for the bridge being tolled. Of course, Rice bridge will be the better option for a lot of people, although those going out to the industrial estate for work, particularly those coming from the Limerick to Dublin roads, would naturally want to use the bypass. It would be a shame to tax these people twice per day just to go to work. They are not trying to bypass Waterford, they are just trying to bypass the city centre... Like I said, why not toll the M9 instead? (I suppose they'd get less cash...)

It's a pity that we've gotten to the stage where we are grateful for whatever we get. Still, this will be an amazing piece of infrastructure, and maybe worth the extra (10/20 year) wait. Pity we have to pay for it though, unlike Cork people for the Jack Lynch tunnel. All I can say is that I hope they don't get the toll company a ridiculous contract like what they gave to the crowd on the M50, where the government couldn't even buy them out if they wanted to!

merlante wrote:
    So why don't they call the blasted thing a motorway so? Every other road, M1-M8 (iirc.) is going to be a motorway (M route). I mean if we have the higher speed limit and grade separated junctions, what's the difference -- or is it just a token insult to Waterford?

As for the bridge being tolled. Of course, Rice bridge will be the better option for a lot of people, although those going out to the industrial estate for work, particularly those coming from the Limerick to Dublin roads, would naturally want to use the bypass. It would be a shame to tax these people twice per day just to go to work. They are not trying to bypass Waterford, they are just trying to bypass the city centre... Like I said, why not toll the M9 instead? (I suppose they'd get less cash...)

It's a pity that we've gotten to the stage where we are grateful for whatever we get. Still, this will be an amazing piece of infrastructure, and maybe worth the extra (10/20 year) wait. Pity we have to pay for it though, unlike Cork people for the Jack Lynch tunnel. All I can say is that I hope they don't get the toll company a ridiculous contract like what they gave to the crowd on the M50, where the government couldn't even buy them out if they wanted to!

I think it being a HQDC it cannot be tolled whereas if it were motorway then it can be tolled... could be wrong though....

the Contract is a 30 year concession which started from April 24th 2006 when the contract was signed. so it is in the contractors interest to finish it as early as possible.

Ireland must be the only country where by-passes are tolled rather than the main road.

Its going to be a tax on commuting from or through South Kilkenny

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

merlante wrote:
    Pity we have to pay for it though, unlike Cork people for the Jack Lynch tunnel. All I can say is that I hope they don't get the toll company a ridiculous contract like what they gave to the crowd on the M50, where the government couldn't even buy them out if they wanted to!

How central is this bridge to Waterford city?

If the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork had been tolled there would be chaos. I often have to use this route 4 or 5 times each day (both ways). I know a lot of other people who have to do the same. The thought of paying for it each time would be unbelievable.

It's about 2.5 km upriver from the city centre, very near the point where the N24 from Limerick joins with the N9 coming in from Dublin.

It's also due north of the IDA industrial estate and pretty much every other business park in the city (which are mostly on the Cork Road or on the parallel Old Kilmeaden Road).

Leaving aside the issue of the toll, once it's built, it will be the logical route from south Kilkenny, south Tipperary (and arguably SW Wexford) to these industrial areas. There's a lot of commuter traffic there, so it seems to me quite unfair to toll it.

It will also form part of a de-facto ring road for Waterford. The southern part of this - the Outer Ring Road - is already complete.

If you're thinking in Cork terms, the Jack Lynch tunnel is a very appropriate comparison.

If the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork had been tolled there would be chaos. I often have to use this route 4 or 5 times each day (both ways). I know a lot of other people who have to do the same. The thought of paying for it each time would be unbelievable.

It will be one of only two bridges over the Suir. The first is already quite overloaded, and the route through the city centre is unsuitable for trucks. The new bridge will be part of what will in effect be an outer ring road around the whole city. So anyone going between north and south not bound for the city centre will want to use it.

The suburbs north of the river are growing at about 20% every 5 years as well, and this will only accelerate with this improved access that has been talked about for 30 years.

I think as soon as the bridge appears, it will become indispensible for a large volume of traffic.

Besides, the M50 is tolled and there is chaos every day, so I don't think 'chaos' would stop them. Basically, you're not playing fair when you tax the locals for infrastructure in one city and don't in another. Both Cork and Waterford want to develop and make best use of their infrastructure.

Had a look at that update and it gives 2010 as finish date?:eek:
    Surely it won't take over 4 years to build this? Or is the engineering very complicated over the Suir that it'll take so long to construct?

mfitzy wrote:
    Surely it won't take over 4 years to build this? Or is the engineering very complicated over the Suir that it'll take so long to construct?

Yeah. :(

Well there's something like 4 companies involved, and the bridge will be 'big job', since it will be the longest bridge in the country when it's built. (Or so I read somewhere.)

mfitzy wrote:

With a bit of luck though, they'll open certain bits early, like the realigned Newrath road. I don't see why the Slieverue-Grannagh (northern cross) bit couldn't open early either. It would be useful in taking Rosslare-Limerick traffic out of Ferrybank, and is not dependent on the bridge being finished.

fricatus wrote:
    With a bit of luck though, they'll open certain bits early, like the realigned Newrath road. I don't see why the Slieverue-Grannagh (northern cross) bit couldn't open early either. It would be useful in taking Rosslare-Limerick traffic out of Ferrybank, and is not dependent on the bridge being finished.

Yeah, but you can hardly put traffic on the road before the minister cuts the ribbon! :eek:

merlante wrote:
    Yeah, but you can hardly put traffic on the road before the minister cuts the ribbon! :eek:

Think about it this way though: open the northern bypass part in 2008 and the rest in 2010. There you go: two photo opportunities for the Minister!

It's sort of like those job announcements that are made about 10 times :D

fricatus wrote:
    Think about it this way though: open the northern bypass part in 2008 and the rest in 2010. There you go: two photo opportunities for the Minister!

It's sort of like those job announcements that are made about 10 times :D

It's so shameless, it might just work! :D

• Advertisement

Guys, you are forgetting that this is a PPP Toll road. Thus they are unlikely to open significant amounts of it until such time the brige and toll booth are in use.

Small sections may be opened to facilite tie-ins etc. especially around the Grannagh junction area.

initially the build was for 36 months so I guess they have put out the rimeframe in order to come in under the targe completion date of 2010. I expect the completion to be in 2009

Advertisement