Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pictures & places

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Tar.Aldarion....where in Liverpool dpd you get the veggie brekkie? I'll be staying there for 3 weeks in December and again in January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was called keys...or quays...or something...I'll ask and get back to you. Shouldnt have much trouble finding nice food in liverpool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

One of my favourite places to eat in Glasgow, Saladin's Silk Road Diner

308787_107755082663123_100002858963622_38620_5384664_n.jpg

Lovely contemporary decor, bright and airy, the staff are wonderful and attentive. There's a lovely pantry to one side of the restaurant where you can buy spices, oils, rose water, oriental sweets, etc, for decent prices.

The mains average from £3-7, has a large choice of vegan and vegetarian options, as well as meat options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oh that looks lovely! gimme!

giddybootz the place was actually called kimos
    http://www.liverpool.com/reviews/kimos-mount-pleasant.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm just back from Amsterdam and found a delicious veggie restaurant called De Bolhoed. It's on Prinsengracht, almost directly across the water from Anne Frank Huis. The food there was delicious - their hummus roll, quiche, regout croissant and massive salads were amazing!

http://maps.google.ie/maps/place?q=de+bolhoed+amsterdam&cid=5423611131637968168

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Have been in Manchester this past week and have had some lovely food! Lunch from Earth Cafe beneath the Buddist centre was soup for £3. We went out for dinner at a Japanese place called Samsi where I had miso soup, edamame beans with chilli and garlic (lots of chilli - beware!!). Then had a tofu ramen bowl for mains which was massive! All good value £15 for food and a green tea.

Then yesterday evening I went to Bistro 1847. Had some pumpkin seed flat bread with rocket and cashew pesto to start then had pearl barley risotto for mains. It was all good although the risotto could have done with a touch more flavour.

Today I popped into Oklahoma for lunch where I had baked sweet potato filled with chilli and hummous mmmmmm was devine and all for a fiver! Massive portion!

Am heading to an Almerian place tomorrow for dinner so will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

giddybootz the place was actually called kimos
    http://www.liverpool.com/reviews/kimos-mount-pleasant.html

Thanks for that....it's on the same street where I'm staying while I study there! Awesome!! :)

enjoy the OJ there, MMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

So I just put some reviews for these two on tripadvisor, wanted to put a few pics here too.
    Sorry they're not exactly local, technically still in Europe though (just about) :o

Loving Hut

What can I say, this place is awesome. It's a bit like Govinda's in the sense that it's part of a global chain, but the individual restaurants seem to be different. The ones in the UK though seem to focus on asian dishes, actually the faq on the site here explains it well.

Anyway, the one in Istanbul is just a small little cafe with the staff working in a small kitchen just right behind the seating area. They speak English so no problems there. The prices are amazing, €2 for most of the mains like falafel wrap, vegan burger etc. The food is really fresh and it's all very delicious.
    I was especially impressed that they went to the trouble of creating a vegan mayo dressing for the burger.

6657350409_9f429eff0c_z.jpg

6657353243_d18d36afd1_z.jpg

6657343643_7aa8c328ef_z.jpg

6657347279_f12cfc46c0_z.jpg
    Vegan burger with vegannaise and gherkin...

(more photos on their Facebook page.. I had a pic of the falafel wrap but it didn't really do it justice :pac: )

Govinda Istanbul

Well finding this place just around the corner from the wet hamburger and kebab places in central Istanbul was a surprise to say the least. I've been in Istanbul a lot over the past few years and have often found myself pining for some good old fashioned Krishna veg. goodness after having one simit too many for the day. (Apologies if that last part doesn't make much sense :cool: )

Govindas in Istanbul has been open for just over a year, and it's centrally located near to some of the other veg. hangouts in Istanbul (mostly Parsifal restaurant). The street it's on is unassuming, and for various reasons it doesn't get the same amount of traffic as the locations in Dublin for example, so it's table service instead of lining up at a hot counter. This is OK but I do like the way you can see what you're getting first in the Irish ones.

Prices are good with the best menu item probably being the vegetarian or vegan plate of the day for about €5. This has falafel, pakora, rice, subji (veg. of the day) and either salad (for the vegan dish) or a yoghurt and chickpea raita for the vegetarian dish. It's tasty and satisfying, although I do miss the larger subji selection + dhal on the rice that they have in the Dublin locations.

They also have a veggie burger and some vegan desserts on the menu, although I found that the food could be a bit inconsistent depending on what day you went (mainly the two veg. burgers I tried were quite different).
    I think this is mostly just because they don't have enough volume of customers to keep the same staff working each day, although it's not so much of a problem when it adds some variety, there's also a different subji/soup of the day.

6657370207_0a2755d4f4_z.jpg

6657361285_275f8a6c92_z.jpg

6657369061_4d8d5fbe4e_z.jpg

6657365669_d21536c158_z.jpg
    Veg burger

6657355523_1385fcefba_z.jpg
    Vegetarian plate of the day - this also has falafel usually, but they didn't have them at the time so I got two extra pakoras.

6657357639_5fe83baf94_z.jpg
    Vegan cake and Turkish tea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

cosmic wrote: »
    I'm just back from Amsterdam and found a delicious veggie restaurant called De Bolhoed. It's on Prinsengracht, almost directly across the water from Anne Frank Huis. The food there was delicious - their hummus roll, quiche, regout croissant and massive salads were amazing!

http://maps.google.ie/maps/place?q=de+bolhoed+amsterdam&cid=5423611131637968168

Just back from Amsterdam myself, had spotted your post before so kept this place in mind over there. Cool little place, we had the quiche and the ragout croissant (which is a vegan option), prices not bad if you don't get it with salad, it does come with some side salad anyway. Oh also had the lentil soup which was the best part, really lovely.

quiche...

dLq6O.jpg

ragout croissant...

kr91D.jpg

The food was ok, very typical veggie stuff and the croissant thing was basically all bread but nice lil place for lunch.

Oh plus they had a big ginger and white cat in there so I got to rub that :)

Also went to De Waaghals...

http://www.waaghals.nl/

wow cannot recommend this place enough, food was amazing, nicest veggie stuff I've had, fair prices, the desserts were especially cheap. They always change their menu as well to have dishes from a different country every month. It was refreshing not to get the run of the mill veggie stuff here. Amazing stuff, if in Amsterdam you just have to go here.

Wish I had pics of the food but instead I have a pic of their cat which was sitting beside me :D........

1v1kW.jpg

cute ^_^

I love how all the veggie restaurants in amsterdam have cats, amazing place :D

• Advertisement

Had lovely meal in The Cedar Tree the other day.....
    Vegetarian Mezze
    Hommos, baba, tabouleh, shanklish, fatayer spinach, mouhammara, falafel. Garlic mushrooms, fatayer veg, sambousek cheese, olives & pickles. Main Course: Maghmour with spiced potatoes

cOSep.jpg

dqXKS.jpg

Those pictures don't even show everything, there was a plate of all kinds of different pastry things to the rights.......vegetable samosas etc and lots of pita bread to eat all the dips with.
    Loads of stuff, was really tasty and something different. I didn't have my camera with me unfortunately, just my phone.

http://www.menupages.ie/dublin/city_centre/city_centre_south/the_cedar_tree/Menu.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thanks for the tip, LOS. Went there on Saturday and had the mezze. It was gorgeous, especially liked the smoky baba ganoush and the roast potato dressed in lemon and coriander.

We were (I was) also treated to the dancer! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I love how all the veggie restaurants in amsterdam have cats, amazing place :D

What is the deal with Ireland's unfriendliness towards pet owners?

In Vienna - city centre Vienna - I remember spending a very comfortable evening in a "local" style pub, by no means a hovel, where several people had their pet dogs with them, including a mountain of a German Shepherd mix.

In Germany I have often seen dogs in the U-Bahn. Outside of many cafes and pubs they actually even have bowls of water in the hope of enticing dogs over so that the owner might decide to stop for a coffee or a few beers.

In other countries it's the same too.

Falafel

the first night there, desperate for something to eat, the little kebab place across the road turned out to have the nicest falafel ever and at only a fiver for the meal. Also saw a few 'maoz' about too.

qYAin.jpg

Market

There's not a whole lot of veggie friendly stuff in the big market off the rambla but there was one awesome noodle stall where you could pick whatever kind of noodles you wanted along with the usual veg and a choice of tofu, seitan etc. This is with seitan and rice noodles, got loads of seitan in it, was really yummy. There's also plenty of yummy fresh juices in the market for only a euro.

Rz7We.jpg

Cat Bar

This place is 100% vegan, near Jaume metro stop, the name alone was enough for me to want to go there :P The portions were massive and you get a full meal (starter, main dessert + drink) for €10.50.

36k4Q.jpg

BbuSa.jpg

WBEvO.jpg

Deep-fried seitan with couscous...

04C5f.jpg

Burger, mushrooms and chips...

c4Qli.jpg

9xwto.jpg

We were back there another day too but I've no pics of that, but there is a good bit of choice, we got coffee instead of dessert the first day coz everything was just so huge, but the second day I got the chocolate mousse which was awesome. Cool little place, they stop serving at 11.30 but the bar is opened till about 2am.

Tapas

EpyKj.jpg

so there's obviously a lot of tapas places there and it wouldnt be my favourite idea of a meal but we got it one day when it was too late to eat elsewhere, it was all delicious and susprisingly filling, but your options are pretty much gona be grilled veg, potato, cheese.

Biocentre

Definitely a place worth checking out. A lot of different meal options including a full menu for 11 something, a combintation of 2 things for 7 something etc. The full menu consists of soup, all you can eat salad, main, dessert and a drink. The salad bar was awesome, not only coz it was all you can eat :P All kinds of stuff including lentils, quinoa, boiled eggs, pate which was amazin, it's the kinda chunky stuff in the pic, not sure what it's made from though. Apologies for the quality of the first two pics.

YI1ah.jpg

sVVPd.jpg

THE nicest cider ever...which you can get as your drink choice

icDJK.jpg

Lentils with seaweed, brown rice and umm...other stuff ?!

dOcmS.jpg

Tofu stew

exWOw.jpg

There's no evidence of the dessert unfortunately but they had all kinds of cakes on offer.

This place was so awesome that we went there twice......in the same day :o

I just got this starter which I think was called cuatro elements...... guacamole, hoummous, peppers, baba ganoush with a basket of toast, was really tasty and really big for a starter..

fcLI1.jpg

Tar got this which was possibly the nicest thing I tasted over there....

seitan in a mushroom and white wine sauce..

Nj9qY.jpg

Teresa Carles

Awesome restaurant is awesome, very much a more up-market vegetarian restaurant, although the prices are still very affordable. We tried to go here 4 times but with weird opening hours on sundays and mondays we kept missing it, the first time we saw chairs up at the door and assumed it was shut but then noticed on the last attempt that the main door where youre supposed to walk in is a bit further down so just to note that if you ever go there, doh! It was well worth it in the end though, the nicest place I've ever eaten for sure, their seitan is homemade, all the vinegars and oils and the house wine was all under their own name. You really can't go to Barcelona and not go here!

Selection of pates (starter)

ZC5Kl.jpg

****aki mushroom pate, olive and chive maybe on toast with pears, this was my favourite thing there, so yummy

El potato thing with fried egg on top......(starter)

nUEfo.jpg

The potatoes were laminated too, I've no idea what that means but tar def seemed to like it :P

Seitan (main)

WkIW1.jpg

Crunchy crepe with mushrooms, aubergine, cheese, who knows but it was delicious (main)....

KjsJe.jpg

The nicest dessert ever, not even over-exaggerating, it might have been called cheese cake but it was not like any cheese cake I've ever tasted, carmelised walnuts on top and honey...

4Bfnz.jpg

Long post :o There were also a ton of other vegetarian restaurants we wanted to go to if we had the time, a lot of them were quite near each other too so there was a big choice there. Ofc we had the occasional pizza too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm now very, VERY hungry :o

Awesome posting! Those meals look amazing, and so so tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Biocentre

Oh God, I love Biocentre! We discovered it a few years ago and every time we go back to Barcelona we practically live in the place! Om nom nom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

For any Galway-based or Galway visiting vegetarians, the Lighthouse Café on Upper Abbeygate Street has an entirely vegetarian menu, though it is not branded as vegetarian. I asked the lady there in case it was just what they had on that day, but she confirmed it as veggie. Not much for vegans bar the soup but from talking to her they might develop some more vegan stuff if there was a demand for it.

And importantly, the food is very nice!

Great, should be good for the AH beers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Great, should be good for the AH beers!

Just so you know if ye do end up going, the place is tiny so if it's busy ye might not get a table. We had tried to go one day but the place was wedged and had to abandon the mission. It's also a bit on the expensive side, but it's a full meal you're getting so it's not too bad. Mains are €8.50, soup was cheaper. Desserts were about a fiver I think. We had a Grabone voucher which made it really good value though. Coffee is good.

In the interests of providing a balanced review :P

Went to 'home' in the end, they have a full veggie menu that you have to specifically ask for when you go in. Nice place, nice choice of veggie and vegan food. Here's what was had.........

Veggie ravioli

QYus3LV.jpg

salt n chilli tofu (vegan)

KqIG5Is.jpg

You can find their menu here

Did you like the salt chilli tofu? People seem to go mad for the chicken version.

Booked into Home for Saturday night. Think I will go for the tofu, looks lovely!

Enjoy! That ravioli was amaaaazing, however it's only veggie, not vegan.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Did you like the salt chilli tofu? People seem to go mad for the chicken version.

ye, there was a lovely chinese slaw under it and the chutney stuff with it was very nice. I didn't notice the tofu having much of a chilli taste though. And the tofu inside was quite soft, but still pretty good with the crispy coating.

Enjoy! That ravioli was amaaaazing, however it's only veggie, not vegan.

Thanks, might be good for OH, will recommend
    ye, there was a lovely chinese slaw under it and the chutney stuff with it was very nice. I didn't notice the tofu having much of a chilli taste though. And the tofu inside was quite soft, but still pretty good with the crispy coating.

Sounds lovely, its making me hungry!

Thanks for the info.

Deshima - Amsterdam

http://www.macrobiotics.nl/deshima/restaurant.html

Ok their site is really not the best! And I'm a bit confused by opening times because I think it was a Saturday I ate there before 5pm but I just sat down in the restaurant, nobody said otherwise but I only see on their site now I think it's supposed to be lunch-service only till 2pm. I'm guessing they're not strict with that but if you were going there for dinner maybe check with them.

So this is an entirely vegan macrobiotic place, actually the whole building is, there's also a macrobiotic store there and there's workshops etc on. What that means is it's vegan but it's all about eating natural, it's all organic, non-gmo, no chemical additives, but also (and the emphasis seems to be on this) NO SUGAR! This is some seriously healthy vegan food. But don't be confused they sell plenty of treats and desserts.........just they don't have sugar. The guy did his best to explain macrobiotics to us, I'm still not not entirely sure if there's some stuff associated with it that wouldn't sit well with me. But he has not eaten sugar for 20 years and he said he was 42, I would never have guessed that so it's clearly working for him anyway.

There's some weird reviews on happy cow but I thought the food was amazing, really tasty and I felt really good after it. I cannot find a menu online for it but all the food seemed to be Japanese influenced, on this plate is sea vegetables, shiitake, some kind of tempura, rice and bean balls, in the middle is some tofu and pumpkin thing, and miso soup (that was full!). I'm sorry I can't remember the beautiful descriptions from the menu in-store but the taste was amazing because everything is so fresh. It was a bit pricey all right, but for quality food definitely worth checking out :)

FxvLphb.jpg

Rx09vTR.jpg

Advertisement