Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Earthman wrote:
    It's showing a red spot on the met.ie radar now :eek:

Probably heading for you snowbie... :D hard to say where the best of this will make land fall but its going to be Dublin for sure and areas north of Wicklow head and south of Carlingford.

Likelyhood of associated bangs are high I'd say :D

UKMO radar now still shows a far more intense series of echoes then met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

On our doorstep now.Look like its stalling a bit.Has a couple of strokes out to see in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

do i hear that lightning is expected?

i was just saying that the sky and atmoshphere looked and felt very thundery!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

going to be a close call i reckon the worst will hit north of Malahide:)

1845wq0.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

do i hear that lightning is expected?

i was just saying that the sky and atmoshphere looked and felt very thundery!:D

Not sure about the lightning. Nothing on seferics so maybe just heavy rain? Some stuff developing inland though in the South and there is always tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Still dry...

Ha! 3 minutes later and the first drops,
    don't know why I'm posting in the Thunderstorms Thread, but everyone else seems to be here...:)

Welcome...:D

All is quiet atm.Still dry here too.No sferics happening anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Skies growing dark here now, southside dublin yes we are loosing daylight but theres something in those clouds ;D. Heres a mini tornado that happened in england today 6 injured.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Ha! 3 minutes later and the first drops,
    don't know why I'm posting in the Thunderstorms Thread, but everyone else seems to be here...:)
    yes we had light rain here another useless 0.5mm :mad: despite the sky looking like an Indian monsoon.

Someone tell them echoes that theres plenty of water in the Irish sea but wicklow and Wexford are parched...

The LP is direct south of East coast out in the Celtic.Its is therefore stalling that band from moving into the east.It looks like the LP is moving towards a NNE motion which will bring the rain in and out off the coast for some time.
    That LP is wrapped nicely with a lot of convective cloud within it.Almost looks like a Polar low or a mini cyclone.

Heres an excelent free 15 min radar that captures the rotation very well.
    From this, the storms/heavy rain over Birmingham/manchester etc are following a rotation thats not moving them northwestwards at all but pivoting them south eastwards down the Irish sea and then back in towards Britain again.

Since the bulk of the heavier more extensive precipitation has been forming on the north of this band, it explains more clearly I think whats been happening in the south Irish sea...by and large, the band weakens as it heads down there as its been going a while.

It would appear that the flow in that circulation should still bring some of the thicker clumps in over Dublin Wicklow and Louth.

Well actually they are moving north west alright but feeding south west along the line

Very true EM.Its a case of will it wont it move in over us.Its the track of this system will undoubtly show us its finger or not.Stalled and pivoting back SW is the case.

There is no sferics organisation goin on atm,just sporadic strokes.Although i dont think we have seen the last of this today or tonight.

Wales and England are alive with thunderstorms again today whilst we are essentially dry :mad:

However,I can see some massive towers over the wicklow mountains,they look tropical and something is just starting to appear on the radar from this.

It's desperately needed

It is expected to turn very wet late in the evening and overnight.Remains if it be thundery or not.Detector turning off now as i have to go to work.Back on at 5.15pm.

Possible TS over south wicklow and wexford this afternoon. CBs pushing Southwards from Dublin to Wexford direction.

Massive cb's and a complete wall of cloud to the west of me.
    I've just been in Gorey and it looked like the heavens was going to open.

Theres huge dark grey anvils and the cb's look like a never ending stretch of hiroshima's in a line from mount leinster on the carlow wexford border right up to Lug na quilla, both of which I can see from here.

I'd guess that the cloud tops could be at least 30 to 40,000 ft high and bubbling like mad.

No thunder heard (yet) but the lw radio is crackling like mad with a lot of the cracks sounding louder and more local than Wales.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Wales and England are alive with thunderstorms again today whilst we are essentially dry :mad:

However,I can see some massive towers over the wicklow mountains,they look tropical and something is just starting to appear on the radar from this.

It's desperately needed

Wow these towers are mighty impressive.

Something has got to come out of them...

They are very near now and over head now but the sea breeze is blowing against them yet still they approach.

These anvils and cbs are totally massive.I Cant understand why theres no banging yet.

Earthman wrote:
    They are very near now and over head now but the sea breeze is blowing against them yet still they approach.

These anvils and cbs are totally massive.I Cant understand why theres no banging yet.

Still maturing,but what you have described is that its imminent.
    Have you got your camera handy for a snap.Totally overcast here now.

Your sea breeze is a classic case of mountain convection as breeze is hitting wicklow mtns and is forced to rise quicker than normal towering the CB.You might have a intense storm around the SE soon.

Very very black now and extremely thundery looking but still no noises
    The wall of this shower is over croghan mt and is still approaching despite the East wind/sea breeze.

The wall looks like a funnell or lightning could easily appear from it.

edit thunder just heard!!

more thunder

cg's

2 so far and loud thunder with rain now ,rain just starting

very very dark

Switching everything off in a minute

Earthman wrote:
    cg's

2 so far and loud thunder with rain now ,rain just starting

very very dark

Switching everything off in a minute

There you go.Happy now:D

very loud and frequent now

Scary

Everything off now,I'll report back later

• Advertisement

Lookin at my window i can see the Tops of the CBs your experiencing.Nice anvils too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement