Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Make Them Stop . . .

Options
  • 14-08-2006 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I've had enough of these ejits who drive around with their fog lights on. Last night I had some guy some up behind, 4 lovely bright lights shining in my rear view mirror. So in some sort of futile attempt to make him realise I switched on my rear fog light, only to be met with countless full beam flashes. In the end I overtook the car in front so he wasnt behind me anymore. Anyway after that I suddenly became even more aware of how many people are driving around like this. It seems particularly noticable that more newer cars do this. (Although I suppose its difficult to find a older car these days!) My question is this. Why...????? The extra amount of projected light is small in comparison to the beam from the dipped lights, as they are usually focused downwards. (Correct me if I am wrong). I guess then it is more of a case of "My car has 4 headlights and yours doesnt" syndrome? Is it an offence to drive with them on? I definitely think there should be an ad campaign to educate people to let them know how incredibly annoying they are (when not in fog of course :) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

fog lights don't shine up wards.... they are designed to be below the bumper and light the road around the immediate front of the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They still seem to be fantastically good at blinding me from behind. Perhaps it is because my car is very low. Either way, they should ****ing well be off unless weather conditions require them.

Thats what that little switch on your rear view mirror is for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I am so sick of people complaining about people using their fog lights....I use mine all the time, except when it's raining because they do dazzle oncoming traffic.
    Anything that makes me more visible to other road users is a good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fletch wrote:
    I am so sick of people complaining about people using their fog lights....I use mine all the time, except when it's raining because they do dazzle oncoming traffic.
    Anything that makes me more visible to other road users is a good thing in my opinion.

Is it actually possible to switch off the fog lights on a BMW?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

ronoc wrote:
    Thats what that little switch on your rear view mirror is for

not in the middle of the day!

fog lights are lights for the fog - hence the name.

they don't do any good. they don't look cool. turn them off its simple.

comanche wrote:
    not in the middle of the day!

fog lights are lights for the fog - hence the name.

they don't do any good. they don't look cool. turn them off its simple.

If you are getting dazzled by fog lights during the day I would advise you to get your eyes tested.

Seriously

Anan1 wrote:
    Well I don't actually have a BMW so I couldn't tell ya
    ronoc wrote:
    If you are getting dazzled by fog lights during the day I would advise you to get your eyes tested.
    Seriously
    Agree 100% :)

Anan1 wrote:

you pay extra for lights on a BMW....

i think you thinking of the two Scandinavia car companies, Volvo and Saab.
    and no it not.... unless you remove a fuse that forces them on every time the car is started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

fletch wrote:

Fletch, do you use you dipped beams at the same time? Or just have the parking lights on? Are you telling me that an approaching car with 4 lights on is more visible than one with just the dipped lights on? I disagree.

You are right though, the more visibility the better. Motorcycles for example should always have their lights on. But having fogs and dips on in a car is overkill (unless it is foggy of course).

And as for Volvos and Saabs, those are the dipped beams that come on automatically. Apparently it is the law in Scandinavia that you have your lights on.

• Advertisement

Drax wrote:
    Fletch, do you use you dipped beams at the same time? Or just have the parking lights on? Are you telling me that an approaching car with 4 lights on is more visible than one with just the dipped lights on? I disagree.

You are right though, the more visibility the better. Motorcycles for example should always have their lights on. But having fogs and dips on in a car is overkill (unless it is foggy of course).
    I use dipped beams at the same time....I personally find cars with their front fogs on at the same time as parking lights very confusing. I have never once found front fogs(once properly aligned) used during the day dazzling save for those occasions when it's raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

fletch wrote:
    Well I don't actually have a BMW so I couldn't tell ya
    Agree 100% :)

even been dazzled by someone with full beams on during the day? Same thing just have to get caught by them at the wrong angle - get it alot on country roads mostly on hills...

If ppl want to be seen put on your dims - thats what I do.

If people want a fashion accessory buy yourself a handbag

comanche wrote:
    even been dazzled by someone with full beams on during the day? Same thing just have to get caught by them at the wrong angle - get it alot on country roads mostly on hills...
    Fair point but theres nothing you can do about that and if a cars front fogs are pointing upwards, then it's not the fact that the lights are on that is the problem, it's the fact that there are misalighned
    comanche wrote:
    If people want a fashion accessory buy yourself a handbag
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It's worse driving a car with xenons and people with fogs and headlights flashing you at night thinking you have your beams on!

The funny bit is showing them you weren't using your beams.

Fogs are illegal when it isn't foggy. That said, I don't see the problem using them in the daylight - nighttime - they DO dazzle you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

fletch wrote:
    I personally find cars with their front fogs on at the same time as parking lights very confusing.

And I personally find cars with their front fogs on at the same time as dipped lights on very annoying :rolleyes:

I think we can moan about this topic all day but its clear that people are not going to change... Maybe its time to start banging heads off walls while at the same time repeating... I will not use my fog lights when not in fog. But I dont think that will happen. :eek:

Big Balls wrote:
    - nighttime - they DO dazzle you.

if your a worm on the road....

the whole idea of fog lights is the light from them doesnt rise above your bumper... therefore in fog, you have better visibility that with your heads or dips shining up into the fog.

jessssssssssssus ... are they that hard to understand.

Drax, do a search. Many have tried and failed on Boards.ie but we salute them none the less. ;)

Big Balls wrote:
    Fogs are illegal when it isn't foggy.
    Really? Have you got a link to the particular law/act? I'd be interested in reading it.
    Big Balls wrote:
    That said, I don't see the problem using them in the daylight - nighttime - they DO dazzle you.
    Agree 100%

jessssssssssssus ... are they that hard to understand.

Come 'ere you fool, if the actual light was pointed towards the road nobody would see in the fog. If they light up nothing but in front of the car and don't pose any problems for drivers then why;

1) do we get people moaning about them every week

2) are they illegal when used in conditions other than fog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree 100% with the OP. Fog lights are for fog.

Anyone who use them all the time should get penalty points. And don't give me improved safety, high visability B.S. It is just a cretins attempt to look COOL....

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Really? Have you got a link to the particular law/act? I'd be interested in reading it.
    No I'm a bit busy, sorry.

If you'd like to call a mate of mine who was pulled by a very busy copper on the M50 for having his fogs on, you can PM me.

Big Balls wrote:
    No I'm a bit busy, sorry.

If you'd like to call a mate of mine who was pulled by a very busy copper on the M50 for having his fogs on, you can PM me.
    I had heard of a few guys I work with (from the North) being pulled over alright but I've never heard of it down South. Then again one of them was driving a heavily modded Saxo VTS so I presumed the cops were just looking for any excuse to pull him.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

From the Rules Of The Road (page 56):
    Fog lights should only be used during fog and should be turned off at all other times.

To the ****wits who leave them on so they can be seen, why don't you just paint your car in high-vis yellow pain and be done with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MrPudding wrote:
    Kool, no arguing with the facts I suppose....will be leaving them off in future but I still maintain that they do not dazzle other road users during the day

Off topic but are those rules of the road official yet? I notice that they are for public consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Fair enough, this document is from the Dept. of Transport (the same shower of pencil pushing w*nkers who have our road and rail systems is a fcuking mess) A lot of what they say is pretty damn obvious.

But come on, fog lights DON'T dazzle, no matter what the weather or light conditions are. Xenons DO and I don't see anyone debating this topic. Oh yeah..... Don't Xenons now come standard on Top Marque cars like BMW, Mercs, Bentleys..... Oh and don't the government sit back and watch the states coffers bulge with cash as the apply a higher rate of VRT on these cars...Yep... An no one bats a eyelid.

Mind you, while Xenon lights are becoming increasingly popular. I still have no problem with them in the same way as fog lights.

I can't see many guards pulling in cars with their Xenons on, can you?

*rant over*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

fletch wrote:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You know guys, the combined power of dipped plus fogs is as great in luminosity as hi-beams.

Turn off your fogs unless they're needed, plain and simple. Especially for vans and jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

remember i was stopped by a garda checkpoint one night and the cop was saying that there was some amount of lights on the car..it's a 05 primera..and the main lights are split into 3 (nissan design),,he say absolutely nothing bout my fogs which were also on..way i look at it is that there a lot of assholes on the roads that have no clue how to drive or make an attempt to read the rules of the roads..so if u can't beat them join them and be an asshole as well..even if it's just fogs that are on..my rearview mirror is autodimming so no probs from behind either

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote:
    Xenons DO

Xenons, unlike anything else, move with the car so more than anything they will adjust to ensure the don't blind oncoming drivers, if you look AT them fair enough, they're bright but you're meant to be looking at the road.
    flanzer wrote:
    I can't see many guards pulling in cars with their Xenons on, can you?
    *rant over*

Why would they when they're perfectly legal? :rolleyes:
    flanzer wrote:
    Don't Xenons now come standard on Top Marque cars like BMW, Mercs, Bentleys.....

No, by and large, they don't come standard on Mercs and BMWs (very few come with standard) - Bentleys I'm not sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement