Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie Gold WSOP 2007 Champion

Options
  • 11-08-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

Board Q85A4

Gold Q9
    Wasicka TT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

isnt it 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Was he a Pokerstars/PP/Party etc qualifier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

bodog going by his cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Fair play to him. He has been getting a lot of abuse off people on the forums the last few days. I think he's come across very well, delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 keeffor

no-one can say that he didn't get lucky with the hands he was dealt though, thats not to say he didn't play them well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Seemed extremely modest and gracious in the post tourney interview. Destroyed the final table. Credit where credit is due. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bp!

What in the name of God was Paul Wasicka doing smooth callin the raise preflop with 10's? Trappin? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

He took out 8 of the 9 other final table finalists, well deserved, seemed like a decent enough skin to me.

15 other major cashes, so not a complete fluke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didnt seem that bad, but the deck was smacking him in the face throughout the hole tourney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

I think it was nice speech play to end the game in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jem

fair dues to him u don't build that sort of stack without playing well, u need luck as well but good play needed.
    interesting that at no stage after the first day was he all in. thats good play.
    seemed a nice enough bloke on the final table and interview.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LOL...who was it that wanted to try and get a few weeks without finding out the winner.

what he say in the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Dub13 wrote:
    LOL...who was it that wanted to try and get a few weeks without finding out the winner.
    LOL - knew that was a long shot!!

I also agree that he played a great FT. I thought Gold gave a master class in Big Stack Poker. Cunningham seriously rattled him when he made that call with the A high, but he regrouped and continued on his rampage. A deserved winner.

Although with him being an Agent, I'd bet my house that he saw all the bad press he was getting on the Forums and changed his attitude for the FT, because he certainly didn't seem like a wnker watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

think the guy deserved to win it alright. He obviously played very well for long periods......He sucked out on a lot of players... but that happens when you have a giant stack* and are not afraid to use it.

And any man that can take out an entire final table (bar 1) has my respect.

Pretty obvious the deck was hitting him in the face... but out of 8700 players, plenty others were getting smacked as well. What happened to them?

Think he played a lot of hands very well, and I think he used his image very well for the final 2 days.

*Not sure how he originally managed to get a big stack... perhaps complete luck... but he used it well.

so... congrats to Jamie Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Seemed like a terrible FT, both skill- and entertainment-wise. Nobody had the heart to really take Gold on, and when they did, he out-flopped them. Last years game was so much better, at least until Andy Black got knocked out.

Whether Gold is any good or not will be proven in the next six months or so, but the deck definately hit him in the face this week.

here here...

entertainment wise, the final table had nothing really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

I thought it was pretty exciting actually. Better than last year imo where nearly every pot was taken down preflop. There seemed to be more play at this years FT.

As far as the deck hitting him in the face he cant do anything about that. He played the best at the final table and deserved to win it

with regards to people saying that he was getting smacke in the face with the deck all week, it doesn't mean that much.

We've all seen people get blasted away even when getting runs of great hands.

He played consistently with a big stack and kept it..

fair play to him, he's made a nice bit of money.

I think what I saw of the final table it was a master class of useing a big stack. he did get lucky but u cant win without luck.
    Remember if there was no luck involved PH would win every one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I watched 5 hours of the final table, thanks espn for letting me freeroll it ;)

I expected it to be extremely boring but combined with the banter in the antes up chat room it was pretty entertaining, I thought there was some shocking play at times including someone calling with a6 against an opponents all in preflop!

Gold did well to hold his nerve as for short time he seemed to be losing it especially when it seemed like cunningham had figured him out with that call of gold 2m bet on the river with ace high. Amazing call.

Obviously Gold got lucky, twice getting all in preflop with qq vs jj, I think more then anything his big hands didnt run into opponents bigger hands and he didnt get sucked out on at all at all.

That said on the final table i think it is true that none of his opponents were willing to try to mess with his massive stack, he took so many pots down with betting on the turn and river,, I think a lot at the final table were just aiming for that extra 500k you get for getting a place higher, it is understandable as it is an awful lot of money but I'm sure if there was another one or two well known players at the FT Gold wouldn't of had it so easy.

Anyone know what time this finished up at?

cheers
    Luke

shoutman wrote:
    Anyone know what time this finished up at?
    Light weight Shoutman!! :p:p

It finished at about 11.30 so we were miles off in our predictions...

haha jeez I wonder if any of the lads watched this till the end.

Thats a long session of poker, any idea how many breaks they had?

I took a break from 5.30 (when they had a 90 min dinner break) til 9 - so I suppose I'm a bit light too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CharlieAsh

shoutman wrote:

That said on the final table i think it is true that none of his opponents were willing to try to mess with his massive stack, he took so many pots down with betting on the turn and river,, I think a lot at the final table were just aiming for that extra 500k you get for getting a place higher, it is understandable as it is an awful lot of money but I'm sure if there was another one or two well known players at the FT Gold wouldn't of had it so easy.

Or indeed if Cunningham had been sitting on the other side of him.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Time will tell, but after spending all week following it, I didnt even bother to go down and watch the feed in the press room. I hate to say it but the WSOP has lost something, Gold isnt our champion player, our king-for-a-year, he's the guy who won the lotto.

This wasnt poker, it was gambling with cabaret. :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

DeVore wrote:
    Time will tell, but after spending all week following it, I didnt even bother to go down and watch the feed in the press room. I hate to say it but the WSOP has lost something, Gold isnt our champion player, our king-for-a-year, he's the guy who won the lotto.

This wasnt poker, it was gambling with cabaret. :(

I disagree. I think Gold was a deserved winner. He was chip leader from day 4, and never once let his strangled hold go. With the amount of players running this year(and last 2 years for that matter), it was always going to be a lottery. But end the end, if you can hold a chip lead for 5 days in the main event...you deserve to be champ. Thats just my opinion.

I disagree. I think Gold was a deserved winner. He was chip leader from day 4, and never once let his strangled hold go. With the amount of players running this year(and last 2 years for that matter), it was always going to be a lottery. But end the end, if you can hold a chip lead for 5 days in the main event...you deserve to be champ. Thats just my opinion.
    I agree.
    never having all ur chips at stake after day 1 is good play, taking out all bar 1 of those at the final table is good play, winning 12mil is great play .

Gold is definately not the peoples champ, but i have to agree with Four of a Kind he is a deserved champ, he is not the best player in the world but over the week with the run of cards he got he did play well.

I also agree with Dev, the WSOP in its current format is always going to be a lotto, and its only ever going to stay that way unless they change it.

I think this has shown by the amount of coverage going the way of the 25k H.O.R.S.E event. Even during the live coverage Phil Gordan was asking if the H.O.R.S.E event was in someway overshadowing the main event, I dont neccesarily agree with that statement as inevitably all the press coverage was primarily aimed at the Main event.

The WSOP ME works though, it is the one event in world sport where a newcomer has a real chance of becoming world champion, he may not be the best player in the world or even close to it but I think to beat 8k players to win you must have done something right and therefor deserve to have finished in first place.

If you were to ask any poker player in the world what their one dream was, 99% of players would be saying to win the World Series....

The WSOP is only ever going to get bigger and bigger and therefor going to become more and more of a lottery, is this such a bad thing?
    I believe it has gotten to the stage where people realise that the world series champion is not the best poker player in the world but is instead just a lucky person who played well at the given time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Fair play to him! Hopefully he'll be a good ambassador for the game, like Joe H seems to be.

I also hope they really up the buy-in for this event and somehow get the numbers running down, way down, so its less of a horrific slog.

Advertisement